Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Radio - No Volume Control

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2019, 08:52 PM
tlv7257
AutoX

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Question Radio - No Volume Control

Hi,
I own a 2011 987 Boxster Spyder which is my daily driver and was purchased new (now 130 K + miles). I fear my subject issue, regrettably was self-induced. Would appreciate any thoughts on my following questions.

Background: After washing my car, to my horror, I found about an inch of standing water in the aft part of the passenger well. Don't know what I did wrong, but was at a friends place using his relatively high volume and city water pressure hose. My normal process at home is much more gentle. Anyway, after the flood, my volume control did not work on my CDR30 (#680-Bose Sound System) radio. No static, no noise, no nothing! (Never any prior issues with this radio.) The radio appears to be working as it will allow one to select stations and it will indicate station call letters, and/or artists being played (AM and FM), CD track selection also works (without sound).

I checked all fuses in drivers well fusebox visually and for continuity with a meter (all okay). I note that there seems to be an amplifier in the front trunk not far from the battery. There was no evidence of a water issue in this compartment, and I checked for loose connectors (none found) on this suspected audio amp. Did not see anything that looked like it might be an external fuse to check on the amp or in line to the amp.

So here is my smoking gun (I fear). Under the passenger seat there is an aluminum (electronics?) box with integral cooling fins. It looks suspiciously like an audio amp. Don't know if the water got to the connector level on this box, but it may well have. Electrical connector does not appear loose at all, however I have not removed the connector and assessed. It does not seem like it wants to be easily unplugged and I don't want to force it. There my be some trick to detaching this connector?

Questions:
1. Are there any other fuses I can check other than those in the main (drivers side) fuse box? (Amp in front trunk? Amp under seat?, Internal fuse in radio? ugh)
2. Long shot question: Could this be a faulty volume pot on radio that puked and the timing for this was totally unrelated to my high water event??? Never had any issues with volume control prior to this total loss of volume control after flooding.
3. Is the electrical box under the passenger seat the radio pre-amp, or power amp?
4. If this box seems the culprit, is there a definitive way to determine if the box is fried?
5. Has anyone had to replace this box? I expect it will be quite spendy. Any suggestions on replacement sources?
6. It looks like the best way to get at this box is with the seat removed. Can anyone point me at the proper procedure to remove the seat so that I don't get my head blown off by the airbag? Seems like I would want to avoid this.

Will greatly appreciate any guidance that might be offered up. Does it seem I am on the right track with my conclusion so far, or am I missing something?

Many thanks and happy holidays!
Terry
Old 12-22-2019, 11:38 PM
WAILN6
Racer

Received 99 Likes on 65 Posts

You have 130k on a spyder?! Wow. You win.
Pics or it didn’t happen though.

i would suggest a thorough drying (days) regardless. No volume control would have me thinking steering wheel (if you had that option) as this is a common fail item for open top jeeps. O volume at all, would have me looking for fuses. Try a stereo installer...they may be quite familiar with it.

try google. More hits here for similar issues- https://www.porscheclubgb.com/forum/tm.aspx?m=1035310
Old 12-22-2019, 11:43 PM
NWOBHM
Advanced

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

First things first - I’d figure out how the water intruded. My guess is the drains under the tonneau cover are blocked - I would check those and highly recommend getting the pop in screens available from Suncoast.

In my experience- regular water flow from washing should not result in that happening.
Old 12-23-2019, 12:10 PM
inkatouring
Three Wheelin'

Received 59 Likes on 39 Posts

Doesn't sound like a volume control problem, but rather that the amp isn't working. I mean, you have no sounds at all right? Not sound but you can't change the level? If so, logically, it would seem that the box under the seat is the amp. Go to a car stereo shop and verify. They can probably get you a new (aftermarket) one for much less than the factory unit -- and higher quality.

Good luck.
Old 12-23-2019, 12:57 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 807 Likes on 469 Posts

Originally Posted by inkatouring
Doesn't sound like a volume control problem, but rather that the amp isn't working. I mean, you have no sounds at all right? Not sound but you can't change the level? If so, logically, it would seem that the box under the seat is the amp. Go to a car stereo shop and verify. They can probably get you a new (aftermarket) one for much less than the factory unit -- and higher quality.

Good luck.
I agree, it is likely the amp under the seat that was damaged by the water. I’m sure salvage yards have these available as the same amps were used in all the Boxsters with this radio option.
Old 12-23-2019, 05:20 PM
tlv7257
AutoX

Dear Inkatouring,

Many thanks for your response and council! I might also try Bose if I can get a model number off the amp. Might be a good reference point.

Again, thank you very much and happy holidays :-)
Terry
Old 12-23-2019, 05:22 PM
tlv7257
AutoX

Dear Marine Blue,
Thank you for your response! Sounds like a good idea!

Cheers, and happy holidays,
Terry
Old 12-23-2019, 05:30 PM
tlv7257
AutoX

Dear Wailing,
Opps! I lied! Milage is 170 K +. See attached.

One picture tells 174,182 stories!

Many thanks for your response! Much appreciated!
Cheers and happy holidays!
Terry
The following 3 users liked this post by tlv7257:
Boiler Inspector (01-04-2020), MCPorsche987S (04-19-2020), Zeus993 (01-10-2020)
Old 12-23-2019, 05:39 PM
tlv7257
AutoX

Dear NWOBHM,
Thank you for your response!

Good sluthing!

Total Disclosure: I was trying to wash off a couple bushels of tiny elm leaves that had fallen from a tree at my friends place during a cloudburst. After washing, I found the RH scupper in rear trunk jammed with leaves! Fortunately the car came fitted with a screen over the scupper, so I think the drain should still be relatively clear. Rained hard here last night so I will check this out.

Thanks again and happy holidays!
Terry

Old 12-23-2019, 07:02 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 807 Likes on 469 Posts

175k miles on a Spyder definitely has to be the record!

I would be curious to hear if you have experienced any issues with the car over your ownership other than this radio issue. Also which transmission do you have?
Old 12-23-2019, 10:27 PM
tlv7257
AutoX

Hi Marine Blue,
I guess the car has not sat still too much......most of my driving was at highway speeds, with maybe 10% in town

I have the 6 speed manual gear box. Lost the shifter cable three times, poor design by Porsche. Replaced front brake pads, still have original rear pads. Replaced battery. Only real issue I've had (other than shifter cables) was an oil cooler fan problem, that was eventually corrected by finding the offending temp sender unit. Oh yeah, there was a shifter cable bracket that fractured and was replaced at the third cable repair. First cable fracture was done under warranty, second one I paid for, and when the third cable fractured approx. 1 year later, I ragged on Corporate Porsche and it was fixed on their dime,

Other than the above, all routine maintenance has been kept up with, and of course tires, tires, tires, and gas, gas, gas. Overall I am happy with the car and its performance, but not wild about Porsche service and parts. I've had sports cars all my life (British, Japanese, and 356 kit car) but this is my first German car.

Cheers!......T
Old 12-23-2019, 11:28 PM
inkatouring
Three Wheelin'

Received 59 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by tlv7257
Milage is 170 K +.
And I thought my 2014 with 90k+ was high miles!
Old 01-04-2020, 08:30 PM
tlv7257
AutoX

Default UPDATE (RADIO- NO VOLUME CONTROL)

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted just now Update: Saga Continues

1. Pulled Passenger Seat. Water damaged electrical box below passenger seat is shown below. Signs of water damage (severe corrosion on connector in lower left hand corner of photo)

Model number 987.645.442.01 Label indicates it is a computer of some sort. One of the red leads (assuming input power) was dissolved in mentioned connector.

2. Second photo is the corroded connector. Red lead is relocated back into its mating hole but it is dissolved at the pin end.

3. Third photo is pooched box internals. Circle on photo indentifies area of severe corrosion.

Questions:

1. Does anyone know what this box is,or what it does? Could this be the reason my volume control does not work on my radio?

2. Is this box common to other Porsche models???

3. Is this a dealer only part, or would/could you trust this coming from a wreck yard?

4. I will need to replace the connector which is labeled as a Tyco PBT-GF15. Does anyone have any ideas where I might locate one of these?

Thanks in advance for your thoughts!

Terry

Last edited by tlv7257; 01-04-2020 at 08:34 PM. Reason: Edited Item #1 for clarity.
Old 01-04-2020, 09:01 PM
Boiler Inspector
Instructor

Received 30 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by NWOBHM
First things first - I’d figure out how the water intruded. My guess is the drains under the tonneau cover are blocked - I would check those and highly recommend getting the pop in screens available from Suncoast.

In my experience- regular water flow from washing should not result in that happening.
Link to the screens: https://www.suncoastparts.com/product/PK98XDRAIN.html

I checked my Spyder and it has them.
Old 01-04-2020, 09:21 PM
tlv7257
AutoX

Thanks for your response.
I've cleared the drain. I have screens, but there was so much organic matter, it passed through the screen and the line was plugged. It drains good now.

Cheers.....T

Quick Reply: Radio - No Volume Control