Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

hold on to your flat six

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2019, 10:23 PM
MotoJB
Three Wheelin'

Received 596 Likes on 335 Posts

Originally Posted by SoCal-NSX
good stuff!

Yes, looks are subjective and personal opinions, but I think it's safe to say that the 981 looks are much more modern especially the interior.

I was never really into the Cayman until the 981 was released..... it had a much more aggressive look and obviously it grabbed me enough to sale my beloved NSX to get my first Porsche last summer.

I miss the NSX and its analog feel, but there is something about the 981s with the X73 that just gives you much more confidence in the car.
I don't think I will ever get anywhere near the it's limit, even if I think I did.

I was so sold on the looks of the 981 that I wouldn't even consider the 987 when I started my search.

Dont get me wrong, the 987 has a cool old school sorta look and I'm sure it's a great car, but it just wasn't anywhere near the level of the 981 in the looks dept to me.
Couldn't agree more.
Old 12-12-2019, 11:36 AM
MidEngineRules
Burning Brakes

Received 257 Likes on 153 Posts

good stuff!

Yes, looks are subjective and personal opinions, but I think it's safe to say that the 981 looks are much more modern especially the interior.

I was never really into the Cayman until the 981 was released..... it had a much more aggressive look and obviously it grabbed me enough to sale my beloved NSX to get my first Porsche last summer.

I miss the NSX and its analog feel, but there is something about the 981s with the X73 that just gives you much more confidence in the car.
I don't think I will ever get anywhere near the it's limit, even if I think I did.

I was so sold on the looks of the 981 that I wouldn't even consider the 987 when I started my search.

Dont get me wrong, the 987 has a cool old school sorta look and I'm sure it's a great car, but it just wasn't anywhere near the level of the 981 in the looks dept to me.
I think you represent the most common view of the 2 cars. I appreciate each for their unique attributes, but I don't separate the aesthetic from the driving experience. Porsche certainly did modernize the platform much more than the change from the 986 to 987. The 981 is definitely more refined, even though it has some design cues that are questionable (flattened fender curves, tiny rear wing, license plate bumperettes as if they serve any purpose, and some questionable creases here and there--change for the sake of change). You hit the nail on the head with the old school reference. The 987 represents the end of the evolutionary thinking of old Porsche and the 981/991 seemed to usher in a much more refined era--which won't last nearly as long with EV on the horizon. The 981/991 represent some significant change for Porsche, making them much less like previous models. The new cars (981/991) are quieter and tickle your senses a little less (product of refinement), even though performance is ever improving. I think they both still serve to give you choice, more modern or more classic. The 987 while less modern, did usher in 300+ hp to the range and X73. Probably why the Cayman R and 987 Spyder will also be the classics' choice. More round, more character, more special due to very specific design targets to reach lighter weight/higher performance, and mostly because they are the most rare of the non-numbered 987/981 efforts.
Old 12-12-2019, 11:45 AM
professsorz
Racer

Received 46 Likes on 38 Posts

good stuff!

More modern. Indeed. A Corvette C8 looks way more modern than the original Stingray. And a Bugatti Atlantic looks way less modern than a Veyron. Which looks "better"?
The following users liked this post:
MidEngineRules (12-12-2019)
Old 12-12-2019, 11:49 AM
MidEngineRules
Burning Brakes

^^ Good comparisons. I almost referenced a '67 Mustang Fastback from a 70s era Fastback. As time progresses, it's usually the older models that are more appreciated and desired, even though it's a given the performance envelop is lower.

Because the 981 and 982 share the same aesthetic, the world is going to have 10+ years of these cars. I'm not sure how desired they'll be in the long run. It's like an Audi R8/10. Stop making them!
professsorz (12-12-2019)
Old 12-12-2019, 12:06 PM
CW987
Instructor

Received 24 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by MidEngineRules
Looks ARE subjective but I still think the curves on the 987 are superior to the 981's flat topped crests. The interior of the 981 was cheapened a bit over the 987 in some ways such as for full leather cars, the 981's lower door halves are plastic versus leather and carpeting. Sometimes newer means cutting corners, which is evident here. When the 987 and 981 are in the distant past, I'm inclined to think the 987 will be more sought after for its more direct steering and because Porsche made several very special low production models for both the 987.1 and .2. There aren't any low production 3.4l 981s (or 982s). After owning a '14 Cayman S I traded it for a '12 Cayman R and the R was noticeably quicker (and lighter), handled better, and was much more fun to drive. Porsche purposefully gave the R a quicker throttle response over normal 3.4s and you can feel the difference. Far more so than the 5 hp difference would suggest between it and the 981 S. I never compared it back to back with the 981 GTS but I'm not convinced Porsche ever toppled the R (or 987 Spyder) with a 3.4l 981. The steering is THE drawback of the 981 comparatively. The only absolute advantage of the 981 over the 987 is in PDK versions. The 987 PDK, like the 997 PDK, is very sluggish in comparison. None of the preceding factors in the 981 GT4 and Spyder. Those are the only 981s that are definitely the best looking overall, although the R and 987 Spyder are far better looking than pedestrian 981s, especially front and rear.

At the point I get rid of my GT4 I'm going to go find the best manual 987 Spyder I can find. Never should have sold the one I had, or my Cayman R for that fact. Those are the 2 to own in the DFI era. The RS60 might just be the best of all for your senses. Gorgeous and the sound is intoxicating. What sucks is .1 may have bearing issues, and .2 may have cylinder scoring issues. The latter applies to the 981 too. Change that oil often!!

It's been a slow day.
I'd have to agree with you. From a design standpoint, the 987 has a much more organic and classic shape. There is not one hard line on it, just like the original Porsches form the 50's. About 3 years ago I was in the position to buy either a 987 or 981 and I chose the 987. They are both amazing cars to drive, I just think the overall look of the 987 is timeless and will age better.
The following 2 users liked this post by CW987:
MidEngineRules (12-12-2019), professsorz (12-12-2019)
Old 12-12-2019, 12:31 PM
CaymanSinAR
Rennlist Member

Received 635 Likes on 402 Posts

To each his/her own, but I find the 987.2 and 982 to be head and shoulders above the 981 and 986. And I say that as a 981 GTS owner.

The 987.2 is classic perfection. The 982 is modern perfection.
Old 12-12-2019, 12:42 PM
SoCal-NSX
Burning Brakes

Received 896 Likes on 401 Posts

I think this comparison pic says it all..... I know looks are subjective, but objectively speaking I'm betting 9 out 10 would say the 981 is the better looking car....it's not even close. One looks like 2006 and the other looks like 2016.
The 981 has a much more modern and more masculine chiseled look with the bigger intakes, sharper lines, wider stance, etc..

MotoJB (12-12-2019)
Old 12-12-2019, 12:57 PM
SoCal-NSX
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by CaymanSinAR
To each his/her own, but I find the 987.2 and 982 to be head and shoulders above the 981 and 986. And I say that as a 981 GTS owner.

The 987.2 is classic perfection. The 982 is modern perfection.
this is a bit of a head scratcher?

It seems it would be easy for you to sell the GTS and get a 987.2 and pocket a bunch of money or trade for a 718 at little to no cost???
are you saying the other two are better looking, but not better cars???

I too kinda like the looks of the 718, but didn't like the 4 banger aspect.
Greenblur (12-20-2019)
Old 12-12-2019, 12:59 PM
CaymanSinAR
Rennlist Member

Make the top pic above a 987.2 and I'll pick the 987.2 10 out of 10 times in terms of styling.
The following 2 users liked this post by CaymanSinAR:
9872SpeedYellowCS (12-12-2019), MidEngineRules (12-12-2019)
Old 12-12-2019, 01:04 PM
MidEngineRules
Burning Brakes

^^ I agree the Cayman was more improved with the introduction of the 981 than the Boxster, aesthetically. I never liked the look of a normal 987 Cayman which is why I never owned one. The R is far better looking versus a normal 987 Cayman/S, and to me better looking than a 981 base Cayman or S. Better performer too.

I hate the 20" wheel on a 981 base/S as it makes the brakes look tiny.
joliver3 (12-12-2019)
Old 12-12-2019, 01:13 PM
professsorz
Racer

Received 46 Likes on 38 Posts

I think this comparison pic says it all..... I know looks are subjective, but objectively speaking I'm betting 9 out 10 would say the 981 is the better looking car....it's not even close. One looks like 2006 and the other looks like 2016.
The 981 has a much more modern and more masculine chiseled look with the bigger intakes, sharper lines, wider stance, etc..

You're a funny bunny. Restating your post purely in words: "I say that I know that personal aesthetic preferences are subjective but I'm going to show a comparison set of pictures which will somehow magically open the eyes of the people who hold different subjective impressions to me and they'll understand that their personal preferences are incorrect and they'll flock to my banner."

Or in more succinct words "I'm right - you're wrong. Done."

IMNSHO: If one actually understands that aesthetic preferences are purely subjective, then one doesn't try to convince others. It's futile. It's like me saying to someone reading one of my cartoons "Hey, most people really find this one to be funny. Start laughing! Maybe I should explain the joke - then you'll laugh, right?" ;-)

The following 2 users liked this post by professsorz:
joliver3 (12-12-2019), MidEngineRules (12-12-2019)
Old 12-12-2019, 01:22 PM
CaymanSinAR
Rennlist Member

this is a bit of a head scratcher?

It seems it would be easy for you to sell the GTS and get a 987.2 and pocket a bunch of money or trade for a 718 at little to no cost???
are you saying the other two are better looking, but not better cars???

I too kinda like the looks of the 718, but didn't like the 4 banger aspect.
Not really a head scratcher if I go into detail.

To start I think Caymans are always better looking than their Boxster counterparts. But I needed a convertible, not a coupe, so Boxster it was. That (in 2017) left me with the 987.2, 981, and 982 from which to choose. Of those I thought the 982 was the best looking, followed by the 981 and then the 987. But I was enamored with the flat-six wail and with those recently going out of production I really wanted to snag one while I could get a clean one with low miles. Hence the 981 GTS.

FWIW, if you gave me the most perfect driving road in the world, along with perfect weather and no traffic I'd choose the 987 Spyder to drive.
MidEngineRules (12-12-2019)
Old 12-12-2019, 01:31 PM
CW987
Instructor

Received 24 Likes on 17 Posts

While these are both nice cars, this isn't really a fair comparison as one is a poor quality photo. And the other is good, under dealership indoor lighting and with 20" upgraded wheels.
The comparison below is another example of how photos aren't always accurate representation:

Old 12-12-2019, 02:14 PM
SoCal-NSX
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by professsorz
You're a funny bunny. Restating your post purely in words: "I say that I know that personal aesthetic preferences are subjective but I'm going to show a comparison set of pictures which will somehow magically open the eyes of the people who hold different subjective impressions to me and they'll understand that their personal preferences are incorrect and they'll flock to my banner."

Or in more succinct words "I'm right - you're wrong. Done."

IMNSHO: If one actually understands that aesthetic preferences are purely subjective, then one doesn't try to convince others. It's futile. It's like me saying to someone reading one of my cartoons "Hey, most people really find this one to be funny. Start laughing! Maybe I should explain the joke - then you'll laugh, right?" ;-)
haha...you're right.

Not saying there is a right right or wrong answer to what you think is better looking....that's impossible.

Just saying the majority of people would probably agree the 981 is more aesthetically pleasing.

I will say that even in most of the articles that you will find on the 981 Cayman when it was released talk about its vastly improved looks....from the sculpted doors that integrate with the side air intakes, the way the tail lights integrate into the rear wing to the
Carrera GT inspired headlights. The 981 is what perked my interest as a non Porsche guy in Porsches.

That being said, if I had the money I'd probably be looking to get a 987 R for a track toy.
MotoJB (12-12-2019)
Old 12-12-2019, 05:36 PM
shus2006croc
Racer

Received 42 Likes on 29 Posts

Off the rails!

I'd take a 981 only if it were in Sapphire Metallic Blue.

Arctic Silver gives the 987 looks a bad side......Lapis Blue make the curves look like a work of art on a 987. Of course mine is blue....subjectively speaking of course.

What about that flat six in all of them!

Quick Reply: hold on to your flat six