Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

987 Cayman S arrived yesterday

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2019, 10:35 AM
robbodle
Intermediate

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts
Default 987 Cayman S arrived yesterday

As of yesterday, 11-27-19, I am new to the Porsche community. I found a nice Carrera White 987 S halfway across the country and bought it. I am a recently retired professional level sports car racer but this is my first experience with a Porsche.

My first question. This car has red gauge faces and red safety belts. Is that a common option?

The following 6 users liked this post by robbodle:
2XIPA (11-28-2019), Big Swole (11-28-2019), MattUF (11-28-2019), PhillyNate (12-01-2019), zagamuffin (11-28-2019), Zeus993 (11-28-2019) and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 11-28-2019, 10:51 AM
4ocious
Three Wheelin'

Received 161 Likes on 111 Posts

No, they are optional and congratulations on your purchase.
Old 11-28-2019, 11:41 AM
gulshan
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

nice clean 987. congrats ! let the mods begin.. powder coat matte black wheels, exhuast (i like FVD sound) , ipd plenum/gt3 throttle body, fix shifter slop/gt3 shifter, headliner known to sag fix if need, transparent engine cover, hard wire radar, rear view cam.., coilovers/suspension a big one for street comfort depending on road conditions in your area..by the time you all done you will be craving a 997 or 718 and the cycle starts all over again...happy thanksgiving all
Old 11-28-2019, 12:21 PM
jfischet
Three Wheelin'

Received 619 Likes on 363 Posts

beautiful car. congrats.
Old 11-28-2019, 12:29 PM
Big Swole
Rennlist Member

Received 2,104 Likes on 1,325 Posts

Nice Ride!
Congrats!
Old 11-28-2019, 01:03 PM
robbodle
Intermediate

Originally Posted by 4ocious
No, they are optional and congratulations on your purchase.
I know they are optional. I was asking if it was a common option.
Old 11-28-2019, 01:06 PM
robbodle
Intermediate

Originally Posted by gulshan
nice clean 987. congrats ! let the mods begin.. powder coat matte black wheels, exhuast (i like FVD sound) , ipd plenum/gt3 throttle body, fix shifter slop/gt3 shifter, headliner known to sag fix if need, transparent engine cover, hard wire radar, rear view cam.., coilovers/suspension a big one for street comfort depending on road conditions in your area..by the time you all done you will be craving a 997 or 718 and the cycle starts all over again...happy thanksgiving all
I've learned that mods don't add value. Headliner is tight. I am looking forward to learning the factory car before I change it anyway. Meanwhile I have seen the love for black wheels.
Old 11-28-2019, 01:06 PM
robbodle
Intermediate

Originally Posted by jfischet
beautiful car. congrats.
Thanks. I am looking forward to it
Old 11-28-2019, 01:08 PM
Dave in Chicago
Rennlist Member

Received 261 Likes on 170 Posts

Love Caymans in white, great for the style lines.

I have those same wheels. Folks like them, many compliments, less fun cleaning them

I've seen very few red gauge optioned cars. In my experience, it's kinda rare.
Old 11-28-2019, 01:09 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 807 Likes on 469 Posts

Congrats on the Cayman! Being a professional racer, I would love to get your impressions of the car when you’ve had some time behind the wheel.

Red Gauge Faces were not a common option at all, nor the red seat belts.
Old 11-28-2019, 02:00 PM
robbodle
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Dave in Chicago
Love Caymans in white, great for the style lines.

I have those same wheels. Folks like them, many compliments, less fun cleaning them

I've seen very few red gauge optioned cars. In my experience, it's kinda rare.
Thanks. I saw those wheels on a grey Cayman S at Sebring last year and loved them. I can pay someone to clean them right? I get my audi detailed every 3 months anyway.
Old 11-28-2019, 02:06 PM
robbodle
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Marine Blue
Congrats on the Cayman! Being a professional racer, I would love to get your impressions of the car when you’ve had some time behind the wheel.

Red Gauge Faces were not a common option at all, nor the red seat belts.
Thanks. I have not looked at a lot of Caymans but I had never seen the red stuff. I love it.

I raced Mustangs for 10 years. I am certain the Cayman is a joy in different ways.

This is me.

Old 11-28-2019, 09:45 PM
BZIMMER
8th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Car looks great, congrats.
The following users liked this post:
robbodle (11-28-2019)
Old 11-28-2019, 10:51 PM
professsorz
Racer

Received 46 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by robbodle
As of yesterday, 11-27-19, I am new to the Porsche community. I found a nice Carrera White 987 S halfway across the country and bought it. I am a recently retired professional level sports car racer but this is my first experience with a Porsche.

My first question. This car has red gauge faces and red safety belts. Is that a common option?

From what I've seen, colored guages and seat belts are usually specced to echo the exterior color of the car. They're not common that way and even less so when simply a color accent that'd independent of the interior/exterior color.

Mods don't affect the worth to a second buyer, usually, but you might want to research Numeric short shifter and cables. Improves the shift feel and precision.
Old 11-28-2019, 11:44 PM
robbodle
Intermediate

Originally Posted by professsorz
From what I've seen, colored guages and seat belts are usually specced to echo the exterior color of the car. They're not common that way and even less so when simply a color accent that'd independent of the interior/exterior color.

Mods don't affect the worth to a second buyer, usually, but you might want to research Numeric short shifter and cables. Improves the shift feel and precision.
I have a very strange attitude toward performance cars. As a racer of production cars I have been exposed to massive amounts of mods both required kind of things for a race car build and the associated street car market. As a result ive seen a lot of nice cars get messed up. Ive had my own bugs and headaches. Ive known people that spend mass dollars on stuff they don't know how to use. I know guys with 800 hp in a street car and I wonder why?

So, my racing and exposure to after market stuff has taught me to leave it stock. If I tracked the car, I would have some Penske shocks put on it but only because I know them and know how to use an expensive set of shocks.

I have a couple miles on my Cayman and that's it. The first thing I noticed was how much nicer and smoother the Porsche mt6 shifts. LOL. Things change with knowledge. Give me 10k miles and ask me about it again

Quick Reply: 987 Cayman S arrived yesterday