Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

KW Coilover - Hello mouth guard!

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2019, 10:05 PM
soundaround
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default KW Coilover - Hello mouth guard!

Proud and happy older owner of 987.2 2011 Cayman S. Bought used this came with the venerable KW coilover kit (probably type 2?).

It handles beautifully and is to die for lowered about 1.25”. Problem is, for these old bones, if I hit the wrong spot in the road (not even a real pothole), I need a mouth guard. Feels like I may break a wheel or a tooth.

As I contemplate options one savvy friend suggested that the car may have been set-up with the most aggressive springs possible and might benefit from a different spring rate. The other possibility is that I need to go back to factory.

Where can I find the right answer? Also, a young gun might really want this and be willing to trade for OEM.

I’m clueless so seek your advice before I need prepare to look for dentures which I will surely need of I don’t get a little relief

Last edited by soundaround; 11-14-2019 at 07:48 AM.
Old 11-14-2019, 01:56 AM
9eight7
Pro

Received 263 Likes on 184 Posts

I'm curious to know which coilovers you have as well. If you're located in the California bay area I'd be willing to trade! I drive an 09 base cayman with 28k miles.
Old 11-14-2019, 07:38 AM
soundaround
Advanced

Originally Posted by 9eight7
I'm curious to know which coilovers you have as well. If you're located in the California bay area I'd be willing to trade! I drive an 09 base cayman with 28k miles.
Alas, I’m in Georgia. For others who might be interested or if for some reason you don’t mind your car being un-drivable while we do cross country swap let me know. My type was confirmed by KW as V3.

Last edited by soundaround; 11-14-2019 at 08:49 AM.
Old 11-14-2019, 10:18 AM
MidEngineRules
Burning Brakes

Received 257 Likes on 153 Posts

Originally Posted by soundaround
Proud and happy older owner of 987.2 2011 Cayman S. Bought used this came with the venerable KW coilover kit (probably type 2?).

It handles beautifully and is to die for lowered about 1.25”. Problem is, for these old bones, if I hit the wrong spot in the road (not even a real pothole), I need a mouth guard. Feels like I may break a wheel or a tooth.

As I contemplate options one savvy friend suggested that the car may have been set-up with the most aggressive springs possible and might benefit from a different spring rate. The other possibility is that I need to go back to factory.

Where can I find the right answer? Also, a young gun might really want this and be willing to trade for OEM.

I’m clueless so seek your advice before I need prepare to look for dentures which I will surely need of I don’t get a little relief
The tendency with most people is to over lower their car, which limits travel, increases preload, and makes the car absorb very little. The V3 has a lot of adjustability for compression and rebound. You might start by raising the car to a more normal ride height, and softening up compression and rebound a bit before you decide their fate. Ultimately the X73 kit from Porsche is the best suspension setup available for your car in terms of a sport suspension without being jarring. It's not expensive and includes beefier anti-roll bars, struts and springs, all engineered for your car. It was the sport suspension option for your car, and lowered the car 20mm from standard. That base Cayman suspension is not X73 and is the polar opposite of what you have now. You would notice a lot more body roll when cornering and the car won't feel as sharp.
Old 11-14-2019, 12:39 PM
olegd
Rennlist Member

Received 238 Likes on 164 Posts

Adjust to the softest setting and see how you like it. You should be able to do that by hand and without removing tires. Check KW website for instructions.
Old 11-14-2019, 04:06 PM
soundaround
Advanced

Thank you for your reply. Would you have a suggestion for securing a quality used X73?

Last edited by soundaround; 11-14-2019 at 04:44 PM.
Old 11-14-2019, 04:07 PM
soundaround
Advanced

Originally Posted by MidEngineRules
The tendency with most people is to over lower their car, which limits travel, increases preload, and makes the car absorb very little. The V3 has a lot of adjustability for compression and rebound. You might start by raising the car to a more normal ride height, and softening up compression and rebound a bit before you decide their fate. Ultimately the X73 kit from Porsche is the best suspension setup available for your car in terms of a sport suspension without being jarring. It's not expensive and includes beefier anti-roll bars, struts and springs, all engineered for your car. It was the sport suspension option for your car, and lowered the car 20mm from standard. That base Cayman suspension is not X73 and is the polar opposite of what you have now. You would notice a lot more body roll when cornering and the car won't feel as sharp.
Would you have a suggestion for best way to secure the X73 (quality used)?
Old 11-14-2019, 04:07 PM
soundaround
Advanced

Originally Posted by olegd
Adjust to the softest setting and see how you like it. You should be able to do that by hand and without removing tires. Check KW website for instructions.
Thank you - will try this first
Old 11-14-2019, 09:23 PM
jack7
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have both a X73 suspension (12K miles) and a KWv3 suspension (1K miles) that needs a new home. Both removed from my 981 GTS w/PDK.
Just upgraded to JRZ Pro3 plus a lot more.
Old 11-14-2019, 09:53 PM
soundaround
Advanced

Originally Posted by jack7
I have both a X73 suspension (12K miles) and a KWv3 suspension (1K miles) that needs a new home. Both removed from my 981 GTS w/PDK.
Just upgraded to JRZ Pro3 plus a lot more.

987.2 is very different from 981 - sigh
Old 11-14-2019, 11:44 PM
MattUF
Racer

Received 79 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by olegd
This.

I have KW v3s on my 987, and in the stiffer settings it can be jarring like you describe. However, if you adjust the to the softer side, it can be surprisingly compliant. You can definitely tell the difference adjusting by only a few clicks either way, so play around some and you'll probably be able to find a more reasonable setting.
Old 11-14-2019, 11:50 PM
soundaround
Advanced

Originally Posted by MattUF
This.

I have KW v3s on my 987, and in the stiffer settings it can be jarring like you describe. However, if you adjust the to the softer side, it can be surprisingly compliant. You can definitely tell the difference adjusting by only a few clicks either way, so play around some and you'll probably be able to find a more reasonable setting.
That’s the plan - I wish I could do it myself but I fear need to enlist a pro setup guy
Old 11-15-2019, 09:15 AM
CaymanCarver
Pro

Received 256 Likes on 172 Posts

Originally Posted by MattUF
This.

That’s the plan - I wish I could do it myself but I fear need to enlist a pro setup guy
^THAT and also consider the state of the tires.

Old tires get crusty and hard, which can affect the ride considerably. If they're old and crusty its time to replace 'em anyway.

New softer rubber can make a huge difference. Something more along the lines of luxury performance tire.. Like Nitto Invo's.
I think the P-Zero's on my Cayman are too soft and cushy.

I'd look at new rubber first and then take it in for the coil over adjustment.
Old 11-15-2019, 10:01 AM
soundaround
Advanced

Originally Posted by CaymanCrush
^THAT and also consider the state of the tires.

Old tires get crusty and hard, which can affect the ride considerably. If they're old and crusty its time to replace 'em anyway.

New softer rubber can make a huge difference. Something more along the lines of luxury performance tire.. Like Nitto Invo's.
I think the P-Zero's on my Cayman are too soft and cushy.

I'd look at new rubber first and then take it in for the coil over adjustment.
Thank you - tires are Bridgestone R71Es (I think) and fairly new. I don't need to upgrade right now, however, will probably go to PS4s when I do. I will look at your options when its time. Hopefully, I don't have to go to 18" wheels to make the ride tolerable - that's a last resort
Old 11-15-2019, 12:19 PM
toma nova
Rennlist Member

Received 362 Likes on 243 Posts

Thank you - tires are Bridgestone R71Es (I think) and fairly new. I don't need to upgrade right now, however, will probably go to PS4s when I do. I will look at your options when its time. Hopefully, I don't have to go to 18" wheels to make the ride tolerable - that's a last resort
RE71s have a very stiff sidewall - ask any installer about the challenges mounting and unmounting, even in a 19". Assuming you aren't tracking, I would replace with PS4s then sell the RE71s - there is always someone looking for them since they wear so quickly (but provide awesome grip on track).

Drive it for a bit on the new tires then have a shop adjust the coilovers if needed. You should not have to suffer a jarring ride, just needs a few inexpensive tweaks to get there.

Quick Reply: KW Coilover - Hello mouth guard!