Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Auto Window Lowering Issue - Advice please?

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2019, 08:19 PM
Bibbs
Advanced

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Auto Window Lowering Issue - Advice please?

Hey guys, Got the ususal auto dropping side window issue, but with a slight difference with what I've read elsewhere.

Can anyone give me the exact bit that I need to swap out? I've read that VW parts are the same.

This is one door (Drivers / RHS), the inside handle works normal, drops when opening, raises when closed.

The outside, drops when opening, and then instantly raises. If i use the handle again on the open door, it lowers and raises again.

If I gently bump the open door so it doesn't fully close, the window lowers and stays lowered (until the door is closed)

So that to me means that the inside is okay, the door sensors are okay, but the outside handle is doing something weird.
Old 11-14-2019, 04:31 AM
GregWormald
Racer

Received 48 Likes on 38 Posts

Have you tried a window re-set? That's usually the first step. The re-set worked well on my car but the procedure may differ between models.
Old 11-14-2019, 04:56 AM
Bibbs
Advanced

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by GregWormald
Have you tried a window re-set? That's usually the first step. The re-set worked well on my car but the procedure may differ between models.
Unfortunately yes, made no difference. But thanks for the suggestion.
Old 11-14-2019, 12:40 PM
Power Window Repair
Former Vendor

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Bibbs
Hey guys, Got the ususal auto dropping side window issue, but with a slight difference with what I've read elsewhere.

Can anyone give me the exact bit that I need to swap out? I've read that VW parts are the same.

This is one door (Drivers / RHS), the inside handle works normal, drops when opening, raises when closed.

The outside, drops when opening, and then instantly raises. If i use the handle again on the open door, it lowers and raises again.

If I gently bump the open door so it doesn't fully close, the window lowers and stays lowered (until the door is closed)

So that to me means that the inside is okay, the door sensors are okay, but the outside handle is doing something weird.
It sounds like you may have a door latch issue. Usually the handle tells the latch when the door is being opened which signals the window to drop. Then the latch senses when the door is closed and raises the window back up. So you may want to look at the exterior handle cable and trace it back to the latch to see if it's a possible handle cable issue or the actual latch. More than likely you will need to replace the door latch.
The following users liked this post:
Bibbs (06-15-2022)

Quick Reply: Auto Window Lowering Issue - Advice please?