Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Side mirror support vanished

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2019, 09:40 PM
wail junkie
Advanced

Received 39 Likes on 21 Posts
Default Side mirror support vanished

Cue X-files music,

I noticed my driver's side mirror vibrating a bit at idle and after investigating further, noticed the lower support hinge for the housing seems to be missing a piece. This was not the case previously but I'm guessing it happened at some point when I tucked the mirror in while parking in a narrow street.

The first photo shows the passenger side mirror housing with upper and lower hinges intact, this is as much as it opens normally.

The second photo shows the driver's side mirror housing with the missing lower piece. You'll also notice it opens a lot wider now.

I really don't want to replace the whole thing as the part is in decent shape (and is the self dimming sort). Any ideas for securing it to prevent vibration or an unsafe situation where it collapses at speed?
The following users liked this post:
sfNative (11-11-2020)
Old 11-09-2019, 07:59 PM
wail junkie
Advanced

Received 39 Likes on 21 Posts

bump... Anyone have advice on this? I'm not particularly handy and could use being pointed in the right direction for fixing this.
Old 11-12-2019, 11:56 AM
TMc993
Rennlist Member

Received 551 Likes on 347 Posts

It does appear that there is a piece missing, but I'm wondering why you didn't find it inside the mirror when you opened it up. I would take a small mechanic's mirror and see if there is an obvious broken piece or an obvious place where a screw or pin has come loose which might tell you what happened.

That said, I doubt that you're going to be able to purchase a single small piece in order to effect a repair. I'm betting that either the guts of the mirror come as a unit or that you will have to replace the mirror as a whole rather than several smaller pieces. I realize some people hate/distrust dealerships, but a quick visit to a dealership parts counter may be the best way to find out what you need to do.

Also, there are several YouTube videos on how to remove/replace side mirrors on these cars. Looking at those may give you some ideas.
The following users liked this post:
sfNative (11-11-2020)

Quick Reply: Side mirror support vanished