Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

window tints on retractable windows

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2019, 11:50 AM
9~factor
Instructor

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts
Default window tints on retractable windows

I wanted to do a light tint on my Cayman but the tint shop wants to keep my Cayman the entire day because the windows retract a bit when opening and closing the doors.
Can anyone confirm if this is really necessary? Thanks in advance!
Old 09-05-2019, 12:05 PM
CaymanSinAR
Rennlist Member

Received 635 Likes on 402 Posts

Originally Posted by 9~factor
I wanted to do a light tint on my Cayman but the tint shop wants to keep my Cayman the entire day because the windows retract a bit when opening and closing the doors.
Can anyone confirm if this is really necessary? Thanks in advance!
It was not an issue for the shop that did my 911 tint. For the shop that did my BMW it was a NIGHTMARE and we were there all day. Based on that I'd vote legit. They won't know how long it is going to take until they get into it.
Old 09-05-2019, 03:00 PM
thecajunboy
Rennlist Member

Received 504 Likes on 317 Posts

Talk to them about it. They might have concern about the lower edge when the window moves down. When I did mine they wanted it overnight to make sure everything was good before releasing it. They also did PPF too. When i picked it up they had warning tape over the window switches to caution against lowering the glass for five days. Wasn't a problem as I don't daily drive. I let them overnight it, then parked it in my garage for a week. Depends on how **** you want to get.
Old 09-05-2019, 03:45 PM
toma nova
Rennlist Member

Received 338 Likes on 229 Posts

I did not have that issue when I had my windows tinted. There is a switch on the door jamb that extends the window all the way when the door is open - the installer flipped it, applied the tint, then flipped it again and the window worked as normal. No special waiting due to the retract when opening the door. I was in and out in less than two hours, and that included getting the small, skinny installer to apply the back window. Of course, they said don't roll down the windows for 48 hours.

Tom
Old 09-05-2019, 03:53 PM
No.15
Advanced

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Just did mine yesterday. Shop had no problem with the side windows, just told me to not roll them down for 3 days. I used the top of the line lumar film
Old 09-06-2019, 12:33 PM
Scooby921
Racer

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

They probably want extra time to remove the door seal / wiper bit so they can access more of the window. This will make sure the bottom edge of your tint is always below the seal and not going to get snagged and roll up over time. I'm sure they could do it faster by simply stuffing the tint down between the seal with some sort of tool, but that's fast work and not necessarily good work.
The following users liked this post:
OC_Cayman (09-06-2019)
Old 09-06-2019, 03:43 PM
OC_Cayman
Advanced

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Scooby921
They probably want extra time to remove the door seal / wiper bit so they can access more of the window. This will make sure the bottom edge of your tint is always below the seal and not going to get snagged and roll up over time. I'm sure they could do it faster by simply stuffing the tint down between the seal with some sort of tool, but that's fast work and not necessarily good work.
This is correct; in other words, the OP found a shop that wants to apply the tint the "correct" way.

Quick Reply: window tints on retractable windows