Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

120K PDK fluid change: to filter or not to filter? That is the question...

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2019, 01:33 PM
Jaymac7
Advanced

Received 16 Likes on 8 Posts
Default 120K PDK fluid change: to filter or not to filter? That is the question...

I’m fast-approaching 120K miles in my 981 CS (!), and I’ve been researching the PDK and gear fluid changes. The manual says nothing about a filter change, but when I asked a local dealership about the service, first, they’ve never performed one, but more importantly, they quoted me for replacing the filter as well, which is in the pan and requires a new pan. Suncoast also sells a PDK fluid and filter change kit all in one, so there must be some truth to the filter change, at least as far as the factory is concerned. Just confused why the manual wouldn’t mention it?
I’ve read a DIY that seemed great and very informative, and he said he did not see the need to replace the filter. However, I’m planning on keeping this car “forever”, so it seems a small amount of money for some insurance that I’m doing everything I can to extend the usable life of all the components involved.
I know I’m just asking for opinions here, because it seems not many people have hit the mileage I’ve achieved, but if there is any more concrete information that anyone has, I’ll gladly listen!
thanks!
Jeremy
The following users liked this post:
qwe (08-29-2019)
Old 08-27-2019, 02:29 PM
PorscheAddict
Rennlist Member

Received 124 Likes on 77 Posts

My dealer also said the clutch fluid filter is built in the pan and only replaceable as a unit. I have only changed PDK fluid (clutch fluid, not gear oil) once, at 25k, and did not mess with filter at that low mileage even with some track use. I'd personally pony up for the filter/pan if you're at 120k. Kudos to you for actually driving the thing a lot.
Old 08-27-2019, 02:35 PM
okie981
Rennlist Member

Received 610 Likes on 418 Posts

The "filter" in the pan is made of material that resembles in porosity and texture a 1/2" thick Scotch Brite pad. More of a screen to catch larger pieces of material than it is a proper hydraulic filter. So it's not a huge deal if you don't replace the pan/filter, but the part(s) can be purchased for around $220 online from Porsche dealers, so in the grand scheme of things, why not? Another benefit of dropping the PDK pan is you can get more of the old PDK fluid out and if you don't replace the pan, you can clean off the two magnets in the pan and check for metal debris.
Old 08-28-2019, 11:25 PM
schell
Racer

Received 71 Likes on 50 Posts

I had mine done at 30K just because my car is 9 years old and I have been doing track days, I plan to continue doing quite a few every year, not replacing the pan and filter seem like a bad option, I feels like it is changing the oil and not the filter, I had mine done at a Indy shop that is very experienced on this service for the PDK, they happen to do quite a few Porsche race cars.
Old 08-28-2019, 11:30 PM
Jaymac7
Advanced

Received 16 Likes on 8 Posts

All good points. For the amount of miles I do, and still plan on doing, probably cheap insurance in the long run. And disassembling cars and seeing how they work is cathartic to me 😁

Quick Reply: 120K PDK fluid change: to filter or not to filter? That is the question...