Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Water pump quit at WERKS

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2019, 07:40 PM
02chuck
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Water pump quit at WERKS

Note broken bolt in engine case
As I pulled in to the parking lot for the golf course there was a squeal and I lost power steering and had an alternator light. Parked car and looked underneath and saw fluid driping out of the
belly pan. Did the touch and smell test to confirm it was radiator fluid. Fortunately I was able to parking there for the day. Called a friend and he came after me with his trailer.
Pulled the interior access panel and found the tensioner upper bolt was snapped off. I was able to remove the remains of the bolt from the engine (whew). Reached down a turned and shook the WP pulley did not find any play or wobble. Any ideas on what would have caused the tensioner bolt to snap. I was thinking maybe the WP locked up and the belt was pulled and the tensioner compressed and something had to give. Figure I will do the water pump ( 76k mi on car). I checked the AC, pwr steering and alternator and all them turn without any issues.
Wisdom is appreciated.

Thanks
Chuck
2010 Cayman S 6spd
Old 08-18-2019, 12:58 PM
CaymanCarver
Pro

Received 246 Likes on 169 Posts

Congrats on getting that bolt out! That's a relief..

But did you locate the source of the coolant leak?

Does the Tensioner Pulley itself spin OK? Seems kind of odd the bolt on the Tensioner Pulley broke.

Belt looks fine, but is it the right size. Maybe its too small and was maxing out the adjustment on the Tensioner Pulley.. I'm just grabbing at straws here.

Just because you're already in there, I'd be replacing EVERYTHING.
The Water Pump, All the Pulleys and the Belt.

I'm in the queue to do this service myself in the near future.

So please keep posting with details. Which parts you used, where you bought 'em and price etc..
Thanks!
Old 08-18-2019, 01:09 PM
02chuck
Intermediate

Yep lucky the bolt backed out nicely. Belt had been in there for a couple years. Got it from Pelican.
Planning to pull pump today, so I can decide on what parts I need.
Chuck
Old 08-19-2019, 02:11 PM
RGS
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 358 Likes on 226 Posts

These tensioners have cause problems with my 997.2 (same engine 9A1, different displacement). My tensioner bolt start backing out on me and making a knocking sound, thought my engine was doomed! I found it was the bolt. Porsche redesigned the part with a bushing to allow tightening along with movement. The previous design did not allow movement from what I could tell. Get the updated tensioner arm and tensioner while you are in there.

RGS
- Radiator Grille Store

OEM Look, Economical Protection
www.radiatorgrillestore.com

Old 08-19-2019, 09:00 PM
02chuck
Intermediate

Got in there yesterday and pulled the tension lever and pulley out. Then removed the water pump.
Unfortunately I didn't really find anything there that would cause a leak. Pump was in really good shape.
So I ordered a pump/gasket, tension pulley and lever, new belt. I have new bolt coming from local dealer.
Figure that I may as well do the 80k service(plugs, air filters and a checkup) while it is sitting on the Quickjack.
Will also pull the front bumper to clean the radiators.

Chuck
Old 08-19-2019, 09:14 PM
RGS
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 358 Likes on 226 Posts

Originally Posted by 02chuck
Got in there yesterday and pulled the tension lever and pulley out. Then removed the water pump.
Unfortunately I didn't really find anything there that would cause a leak. Pump was in really good shape.
So I ordered a pump/gasket, tension pulley and lever, new belt. I have new bolt coming from local dealer.
Figure that I may as well do the 80k service(plugs, air filters and a checkup) while it is sitting on the Quickjack.
Will also pull the front bumper to clean the radiators.

Chuck

Check these out to help with your clean out intervals or eliminate the clean outs all together www.radiatorgrillstore.com
Old 08-20-2019, 01:05 AM
02chuck
Intermediate

Yep saw the grill screens.
Chuck

Quick Reply: Water pump quit at WERKS