Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Concerning Engine Noise

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2019, 03:54 PM
rk15000
Rennlist Member

Received 39 Likes on 25 Posts
Default Concerning Engine Noise

Hi All,

I've only had my 2010 2.9L Boxster for a couple of months (loving it BTW ), but I'm afraid that my worst nightmare is coming true. The past few times I've started the car I've heard this noise (it's especially distinct around the 10 to 15 second mark).

Based on all the previous research I've done, this sounds like a scored cylinder bore?

Drives me nuts because I specifically had a PPI done at an independent Porsche shop with a leak-down AND borescope check. Cylinders 1-6 came back at 6%,6%,4%,4%,4%, and 7%, and the mechanic said they all looked good and no scoring. Car has 87K miles on it, so I really thought if it was going to have scoring problems, it would've happened by now.

I do have a somewhat sooty tailpipe but the car burns no oil (yet) and seems to run great otherwise.

So I guess the million $ question is, could this be anything else? Or is my wallet about to be opened up big time?

Thanks,

-Ryan
Attached Files
File Type: mov
BoxsterNoiseNew.mov (1.71 MB, 65 views)
Old 08-15-2019, 04:04 PM
SpyderSenseOC
Rennlist Member

Received 1,347 Likes on 808 Posts

Originally Posted by rk15000
Hi All,

I've only had my 2010 2.9L Boxster for a couple of months (loving it BTW ), but I'm afraid that my worst nightmare is coming true. The past few times I've started the car I've heard this noise (it's especially distinct around the 10 to 15 second mark).

Based on all the previous research I've done, this sounds like a scored cylinder bore?

Drives me nuts because I specifically had a PPI done at an independent Porsche shop with a leak-down AND borescope check. Cylinders 1-6 came back at 6%,6%,4%,4%,4%, and 7%, and the mechanic said they all looked good and no scoring. Car has 87K miles on it, so I really thought if it was going to have scoring problems, it would've happened by now.

I do have a somewhat sooty tailpipe but the car burns no oil (yet) and seems to run great otherwise.

So I guess the million $ question is, could this be anything else? Or is my wallet about to be opened up big time?

Thanks,

-Ryan
I'm certainly no Porsche engine expert but I don't typically associate a noise, without other symptoms, with bore scoring in engines in general. Especially having had the engine scoped for this issue and the numbers otherwise looking good.
Old 08-15-2019, 05:20 PM
Noah Fect
Rennlist Member

Received 1,302 Likes on 887 Posts

Not hearing anything too worrisome there. These engines make noises that you don't usually hear from other engines, both because of design characteristics and because the intake is aimed right at the passenger compartment. I'd say just wait to see if it gets better/worse over time.

An Italian tuneup may also help.
Old 08-15-2019, 06:58 PM
Auto_Werks 3.6
Quit Smokin'
Rennlist Member

Received 303 Likes on 195 Posts

It does sound like it could be piston slap to me. I know historically that some of the older porsche engines would make a slap noise when the piston to wall clearance was closer to max, but in spec. Personally if it was me, I would start sending out for oil analysis with each oil change, and keeping an eye on what is caught in the oil filter. If there's nothing too alarming there and the noise subsides some when it's fully warm I would probably keep driving it. If the noise is louder when fully warmed up I would also be more concerned. I refreshed a 964 engine that I bought from someone that turned out to be shady. It was supposed to be a direct drop in, but I found enough issues that I needed to do a full tear down. I had the pistons and cylinders measured, and they were in spec, towards the high end. I get an annoying noise that's louder as the car warms up. I'm 100% sure it's a piston based on a stethoscope, but I've been using it for several years. I think it's actually fine, but the noise drives me crazy enough that I think about spending the $3500 for new pistons and cylinders to to make it shut up.
The following users liked this post:
SpyderSenseOC (08-15-2019)
Old 08-17-2019, 10:13 AM
CaymanCarver
Pro

Received 256 Likes on 172 Posts

Originally Posted by Auto_Werks 3.6
It does sound like it could be piston slap to me. I know historically that some of the older porsche engines would make a slap noise when the piston to wall clearance was closer to max, but in spec. Personally if it was me, I would start sending out for oil analysis with each oil change, and keeping an eye on what is caught in the oil filter. If there's nothing too alarming there and the noise subsides some when it's fully warm I would probably keep driving it. If the noise is louder when fully warmed up I would also be more concerned. I refreshed a 964 engine that I bought from someone that turned out to be shady. It was supposed to be a direct drop in, but I found enough issues that I needed to do a full tear down. I had the pistons and cylinders measured, and they were in spec, towards the high end. I get an annoying noise that's louder as the car warms up. I'm 100% sure it's a piston based on a stethoscope, but I've been using it for several years. I think it's actually fine, but the noise drives me crazy enough that I think about spending the $3500 for new pistons and cylinders to to make it shut up.
"when it's fully warm.. "
THAT. I've learned not to give noises any attention until after the car is up to operating temp.
Let 'em get good and warm and THEN assess the situation. Same diff with the Viper.

Hey what about switching to a slightly heavier oil? e.g. 5W-50 or even 10W-40

Quick Reply: Concerning Engine Noise