Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Newbie looking to buy boxster as gift for father

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2019, 10:03 PM
Chris-cianci
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Newbie looking to buy boxster as gift for father

Hi all,

i am new new to this forum and Porsche in general. I read the sticky on posts and this one seems like a reasonable request for info.

My father turns 69 in about 8 weeks and he’s wanted a boxster for a very long time but hasn’t pulled the trigger. I’d like to get one for him as a birthday present.

I am willing to spend 35- 40k. Any advise greatly appreciated. I’ve looked at auto trader and Porsche pre owned website. I live in DFW but am searching nationally and would ship after PPI’ed. My biggest dilemmas are S vs base, CPO or not, and miles vs year. My price point puts me in the 2012-2015 territory best I can tell.

Many thanks for your expertise and time,

chris
Old 08-12-2019, 12:40 AM
abarthguy
Three Wheelin'

Received 283 Likes on 173 Posts
Default Carmax is a good resource!

Had my local Porsche dealer check her out and no problems!

You have a great plan!!

I would track these on CarMax......they have a nationwide dealer network ans seem to always have a selection of nice Boxsters!

Case in point, I recently bought this 2017 Boxster base thru them and I am 100% satisfied with their service and the car I bought.

Message me if you would like details.
The following users liked this post:
Chris-cianci (08-13-2019)
Old 08-12-2019, 09:41 AM
GoCards67
Rennlist Member

Received 190 Likes on 85 Posts

I bought a 2014 base Boxster in 2017. Had 5000 miles on it for $41500. lots of options. The S bumps the price up significantly so I "settled" for the base. I didn't buy from Porsche dealer so CPO was not an option. But I figured with a spotless car fax and only 5000 miles I would be ok. There was the remainder of the warranty left as well. I get in that car after two years and have a huge smile still. Yeah, the S would have been nice, but the other upgrades the car had made it less of an issue. And FYI, I found the car on Autotrader.
Good luck! I'm sure your dad will love whatever you get him.
Old 08-12-2019, 09:49 AM
TMc993
Rennlist Member

Received 551 Likes on 347 Posts

Good on you for doing this for your dad. What a fantastic birthday gift!

I'm 72 years old and my current daily driver is a 2014 Cayman base with PDK. Since the Boxster and Cayman have a lot of mechanical similarities, maybe I can offer a little age-related experience. First, I found my car on www.cargurus.com and was very pleased with how that site functioned.

As for your dad's car, appearance items (Paint, top, interior, etc) aside, I think your two biggest equipment decisions will be Base vs S and Manual vs PDK.

Some observations:

Base vs S -

During my search for a Cayman, I drove both the base and S versions. Since I don't do track days or solo events, I found that the base car was best suited to my needs. It has ample power and performance and I didn't see the advantage (To me) of spending the additional money for the S version. In fact I was able to buy a CPO certified base car for the price of a much higher mileage non-CPO S. On the other hand, the S is an amazing automobile. There'd be nothing cooler than Dad having an S in his garage just waiting for his drive times.

Manual vs PDK -

This was a big decision for me because I was coming out of 40+ consecutive years of driving cars with manual transmissions and was coming directly out of a daily driver 993 Carrera with a 6-speed. I have some hip/back issues and although I didn't really "want" a PDK car, I drove both the manual and PDK versions of both the base and S Caymans. Once I drove the PDK car, there really was no choice for me. The different PDK settings allow me to be as involved as I want to be with the car and I truly don't miss the clutch pedal.

That said, you know your dad better than anyone on this board and will probably be able to match him to a car with no problem. Since you're looking nationally, I'm north of Atlanta and would be able to provide you a "RennFax" if you find a car in this area that you need eyeballed. I also know a good independent shop north of Atlanta that could do a PPI for you.

Good luck in your search and again, good on you for doing this for your dad.
Old 08-12-2019, 10:07 AM
garfunkle
Banned

Received 1,149 Likes on 630 Posts

Based on your requirements, I recommend a 981(2013-2015) base with PDK.

Most people your dad's age don't mod for performance and he's not a track junky - although plenty of cars as described tracking regularly!
Old 08-12-2019, 10:07 AM
daylorb
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 63 Posts

Base vs. S... Did your dad ever drive muscle cars? Or anything crazy fast off the line? If so, he may be inclined more to an S. If not, you will likely be fine with the base, which has plenty of power and you'll be able to buy newer. Likewise - do you think he'll ever want to seriously track it? If not, again base is an incredible buy then.

As for manual vs. PDK - when is the last time/what is the last manual he drove? I'm 50, switched to PDK, will never look back. Love it and my knees thank me every time I climb out of my spec miata into my PDK....
Old 08-12-2019, 06:08 PM
Chris-cianci
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wow thanks so much for the info guys. Really appreciate you !

Sounds like a base model with PDK is what I need to find.

Will post up some pics once I find the right car.

Thanks again for for your time!

chris
Old 08-12-2019, 07:30 PM
smilin
Rennlist Member

Received 354 Likes on 142 Posts

I'm not in sales, I swear, but check out what pushing your budget a little bit will buy. And if you don't like the car or price or location, at least be aware of the site for CPO cars. https://nationalpreownedporsche.com/...allic+24312029

And in the other direction, this car will put a smile on most everyone's face. Look for something like this at CarMax, add a warranty and enjoy the heck out of it! https://www.cargurus.com/Cars/invent...ting=248926282

Good luck with the birthday surprise!
Old 08-12-2019, 08:42 PM
GT4John
Racer

Received 27 Likes on 20 Posts

Another for the Base + PDK combo. My wife's brother in Florida has a 987 Boxster w/ Tiptronic and my wife's 84 year old mom borrows it and drives it up and down the east coast all the time. She loves it and has no problems getting in and out of it. (She also just recently visited and had no issues getting in and out of my wife's 981 Boxster S).

Quick Reply: Newbie looking to buy boxster as gift for father