Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

thinking of replacing just rear speakers on 987.1 cayman - bose

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2019, 05:05 PM
Scott5
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question thinking of replacing just rear speakers on 987.1 cayman - bose

I'm a confessed audio snob and generally cringe at the word BOSE for anything but sound-canceling headgear. Of course, I bought my 987.1 Cayman for reasons other than audio. However, the quality of the sound system is really surprising bad - and I'm starting to think that I have to do something....

I was playing with the fader, and it seems that a pronounced weak spot was the rear speakers. Has anyone replaced just the 4" rears with a nice pair of focals, or similar, and noticed an improvement?

Because the car has the sound package plus, (fiber option links to amp, etc.) I have some limitations on what I can do affordably. I don't want to invest in head units etc. anyway. And I think I'm starting to lose my hearing anyway...

So the question is: anyone replaced just the rear bose SPP speakers and felt it was a worthwhile upgrade?

Thank you all,
Scott

Old 08-05-2019, 02:22 PM
bbinder
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts

I have a 987.2 with the Bose system and had the same assessment as you. I replaced the rears with Infinity speakers (my usual go to speaker for car audio) and there was a minor but noticeable improvement. FWIW, I also disconnected the center tweeter on the dashboard because I felt that the imaging (such as it is) was better without it.
Old 08-18-2019, 11:57 PM
javaperson
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I have a 981 with the bose sound system, and I feel the same way. When I play with the fader and send audio to the back speakers, the sound quality is quite awful. I understand these are "fill" speakers and that most of the audio under normal settings comes from the front speakers, but I feel like some improved rear speakers could make a difference. I'm curious what speakers people choose for the rear bose replacement.
Old 03-05-2021, 07:10 PM
E Monet
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I bought my 987 last summer in western Mass and drove it on Marthas Vineyard all summer, which was just great, but have been really disappointed with the sound plus system, I did exactly what you did and put Infinity speakers in the doors, put in a new Head unit, new amp in the Frunk and new tweeters in the dash corners plus a sub woofer under the drivers seat - with ALL of that the sound system STILL has WAAAY too much high end. I think my next step is to disconnect the center dash tweeter and possibly put dampers over the dash tweeters. My tiny sharp cassette deck and 2 Kenwood speakers in my little Audi was great sounding compared to this....HEEEELP!

Quick Reply: thinking of replacing just rear speakers on 987.1 cayman - bose