Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Therapeutic car wash

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2019, 12:20 PM
GTorTT
Burning Brakes

Received 131 Likes on 84 Posts

I know a guy who will get up at 5am to wash his car. Then he fires up the grill and cooks a nice steak for breakfast.

I must be doing things wrong.
The following 2 users liked this post by GTorTT:
GZ Boxster (08-10-2019), Jay Compton (05-10-2020)
Old 07-25-2019, 12:54 PM
kiznarsh
Rennlist Member

Received 299 Likes on 125 Posts

Originally Posted by GTorTT
I know a guy who will get up at 5am to wash his car. Then he fires up the grill and cooks a nice steak for breakfast.

The following 3 users liked this post by kiznarsh:
CaymanSinAR (07-25-2019), Esoteric_Detail (07-26-2019), manifold danger (07-26-2019)
Old 07-25-2019, 01:02 PM
Type_A
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I can feel ya on the constant battle keeping a black car clean. But I must admit washing it is nothing but a chore. Driving it, on the other hand, now thats therapeutic...

Anyone catch this recent article about customer satisfaction?? Its all about the therapy and Porsche wins again....

https://www.mediapost.com/publications/article/338543/porsche-bmw-genesis-top-customer-satisfaction-su.html
Old 07-25-2019, 03:06 PM
Libast
Three Wheelin'

Received 222 Likes on 176 Posts

Originally Posted by LexVan
Usually it's the other way around for me. After washing the cars, I need therapy. Or at least 600mg of Advil.
Are you even working if you aren't popping a military grade 800mg tablet? I felt that way after the initial wash.

Originally Posted by w00tPORSCHE
Proper posture, right tools, using a nice stool and listening to relaxing music all helps
Having the right tools (and quality ones to boot) has made things way easier.

Originally Posted by GTorTT

I must be doing things wrong.
Or not doing the right drugs.

Originally Posted by Type_A
I can feel ya on the constant battle keeping a black car clean. But I must admit washing it is nothing but a chore. Driving it, on the other hand, now thats therapeutic...
Honestly this was a maintenance wash and didn't take long at all. The Cayenne is up tonight and that's gonna be quite a bit more work for me, so I won't be posting this thread in that forum lol.
Old 07-26-2019, 09:17 AM
TMc993
Rennlist Member

Received 555 Likes on 350 Posts

Originally Posted by Libast
Anyone else have a long day.. and just decide to wash the car in the cooler evening?
Yep...

Old 07-26-2019, 11:48 AM
wizee
Rennlist Member

Received 831 Likes on 456 Posts

Originally Posted by TMc993
Yep...

The GT silver looks beautiful, and nicely chosen lighting.
Old 07-26-2019, 12:45 PM
CaymanSinAR
Rennlist Member

Received 636 Likes on 402 Posts

Perfect combo of wheels and color.
Old 07-26-2019, 12:52 PM
manifold danger
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,141 Likes on 641 Posts

When I was younger I would agree with you fully.

These days, it's all I can do to get in the gym consistently so I just run out of energy by the time evening comes around.

That said, I don't really trust others to wash/detail my car to the standards I have and I hate having a dirty car, and usually when I finally get around to cleaning them I end up enjoying it.

The ceramic coating absolutely does make a difference too. I have Xpel fusion. It's expensive but is worth it for those who enjoy having a consistently clean car.
Old 07-26-2019, 12:52 PM
Tom R.
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 114 Likes on 82 Posts

My friday night plans are to wash the Kman so when I go to the track tomorrow any dirt will be new dirt. Instead of moderators these forums need head shrinkers.
Old 07-26-2019, 01:23 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 807 Likes on 469 Posts

My OCD makes it impossible for me to leave the cars dirty so I’m constantly cleaning one of our cars and I really don’t mind. It’s one of the few moments in the day where no one really bothers me (otherwise they have to help ) and I can work at my own pace. I used to be sore after a full detail but getting the Spyder forced me to lose weight and get back in shape (after all I didn’t want to carry the extra weight in the car) so these days a detail doesn’t have any physical impact.

As already mentioned, the right tools and the right products make an immense difference in the actual cleaning and the results. I don’t water wash my cars anymore other than the DD’s which goes through the drive through after a rain or major bug storm, then I wipe them down and detail them. But the Porsche’s haven’t seen water in years, just quick detail spray and quality microfibers.

Old 07-26-2019, 04:30 PM
Anu2g
Rennlist Member

Received 128 Likes on 83 Posts

This is a great thread. I definitely find it therapeutic, except for right after the track, when the car is filthy and often has some rubber streaks; then it is work. No matter the conditions, though, the reward afterwards is like nothing else.

Having the right tools made a huge difference for me, too, just like half the others on this thread. I got a
pressure washer pressure washer
and blow dryer, which really made a big difference. I just lay out a long extension cord and hose, set up my equipment, and then it's pretty fun and efficient.
Old 07-26-2019, 11:15 PM
GT4John
Racer

Received 27 Likes on 20 Posts

I love washing our cars. As others have said, there is something therapeutic or calming about it. On the other side, for some reason I hate washing the wheels/rims while they are on the car. I always end up pulling them off and cleaning them up separately. Which then leads to me cleaning up the tire wells/suspension/calipers...etc etc. It's a slippery slope.
Old 07-27-2019, 01:11 AM
Libast
Three Wheelin'

Received 222 Likes on 176 Posts

Originally Posted by Anu2g
This is a great thread. I definitely find it therapeutic, except for right after the track, when the car is filthy and often has some rubber streaks; then it is work. No matter the conditions, though, the reward afterwards is like nothing else.

Having the right tools made a huge difference for me, too, just like half the others on this thread. I got a pressure washer and blow dryer, which really made a big difference. I just lay out a long extension cord and hose, set up my equipment, and then it's pretty fun and efficient.
I don't have the pressure washer, but I haven't found the Boxster gets that dirty ever. The electric leaf blower I have is a godsend.

Originally Posted by GT4John
I love washing our cars. As others have said, there is something therapeutic or calming about it. On the other side, for some reason I hate washing the wheels/rims while they are on the car. I always end up pulling them off and cleaning them up separately. Which then leads to me cleaning up the tire wells/suspension/calipers...etc etc. It's a slippery slope.
I bought a specific size brush just so I could hit the spokes without taking the wheels off =)
Old 07-27-2019, 09:51 PM
Greg Fishman
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by Anu2g
Find the Mother's track rubber remover. It makes it very easy to remove rubber marks and tar spots. http://www.mothers.com/02_products/09224.html
Old 07-27-2019, 10:48 PM
iammacey
Burning Brakes

Received 376 Likes on 207 Posts

Saturday night therapy today. Tomorrow will be the GT4...

Quick Reply: Therapeutic car wash