Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Uncompromised Design - A Study on Mid-Engine Porsches

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2019, 03:21 AM
Suicide Jockey
Rennlist Member

Received 112 Likes on 79 Posts
Default Uncompromised Design - A Study on Mid-Engine Porsches

I received notice of this Porsche-sponsored event, "Uncompromised Design - A Study of Mid-Engine Porsches," at the Petersen Automotive Museum in Los Angeles on July 25th.

Note repeated references to a "reveal" of a mid-engine Porsche. Because Grant Larson, the designer of the original Boxster and Boxster Spyder will be there, my guess is they might "reveal" the new 982 Spyder. Just a guess! I'm also guessing the second of two cars on display will be a 918. We'll see.

My experience has been that Grant is very generous in signing items so if you have an owner's manual or something else you want personalized, it's worth bringing along.

http://www.artcenter.edu/gallery/det...featured_name=

Uncompromised Design Exhibition Reveal

3pm | Mullin Design Studio

Join us on July 25 for a FREE* exhibition reveal showcasing an iconic set of mid-engine Porsches that truly define the incredible history of this lineage. The Uncompromised Design Exhibition Reveal will be complemented by an open bar, complimentary appetizers, and a moderated discussion with Grant Larson from ArtCenter College of Design and Steffen Ganz, Head of Design for Porsche Design of America!

Porsche’s mid-engine heritage began with the seminal 356/1 prototype roadster and extends to the present day with dozens of such models—both racing and road going—having punctuated the company’s 70 year history. Join the Petersen as we celebrate our newest Porsche exhibition, Uncompromised Design, with a panel discussion, light appetizers by Drago, and more!

Exhibition reveal includes:
  • Discussion with the Chief Designer of Porsche
  • Appetizers by Drago
  • Complimentary soft drinks
*Event part of museum admission.

https://www.petersen.org/events/2019...eid=f0234ce5dd
Old 07-18-2019, 08:15 AM
Turbo Jonny
Rennlist Member

Received 79 Likes on 41 Posts

Looks great ! But i live in UK
Old 07-18-2019, 02:23 PM
n4v4nod
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,646 Likes on 905 Posts

Great catch... I got the same invite but overlooked it and totally missed it.

It would be cool if the 982 Spyder/GT4 were there, but I find it hard to believe that they would select that venue for the North American debut?... I could be wrong though. Maybe they will highlight the Berg Spyder??? I can see them showcasing that concept as it was a special project that Grant led.
Old 07-18-2019, 02:52 PM
Suicide Jockey
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by n4v4nod
. . . . It would be cool if the 982 Spyder/GT4 were there, but I find it hard to believe that they would select that venue for the North American debut?... I could be wrong though. Maybe they will highlight the Berg Spyder??? I can see them showcasing that concept as it was a special project that Grant led.
I, too, thought that it might be the Berg Spyder but recalled having recently read somewhere that it’s currently on display in the Porsche Museum. Could be wrong on that and suppose they could easily ship it over here for this event.

If it is is the new 982 Spyder, I don’t know that it would necessarily constitute the car’s formal North American debut — maybe it would be more like a limited special showing just for this special event?? All guesswork at this point, but I’m certainly not picky! Would be thrilled to see either and certainly would be nice not to have
to wait until the LA auto show to see the new Spyder in the flesh.

Old 07-18-2019, 03:24 PM
skl
Official Wednesday AM Red Bull F1 test driver
Rennlist Member

Received 911 Likes on 549 Posts

First car was mid-engined and I still have it... should think about going to this. Would be neat to have him sign my 1971 914 and 2016 Spyder owner's manuals!
Old 07-18-2019, 07:00 PM
Cayman292
Instructor

Received 59 Likes on 32 Posts
Cool

Originally Posted by Suicide Jockey
I, too, thought that it might be the Berg Spyder but recalled having recently read somewhere that it’s currently on display in the Porsche Museum. Could be wrong on that and suppose they could easily ship it over here for this event.

If it is is the new 982 Spyder, I don’t know that it would necessarily constitute the car’s formal North American debut — maybe it would be more like a limited special showing just for this special event?? All guesswork at this point, but I’m certainly not picky! Would be thrilled to see either and certainly would be nice not to have
to wait until the LA auto show to see the new Spyder in the flesh.
Hope you’re able to go and be sure and take pics and post them. That way we can all be there from afar
Old 07-18-2019, 07:16 PM
Suicide Jockey
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Cayman292
Hope you’re able to go and be sure and take pics and post them. That way we can all be there from afar
Definitely going and will post pics for sure.
Old 07-18-2019, 09:43 PM
skl
Official Wednesday AM Red Bull F1 test driver
Rennlist Member

Received 911 Likes on 549 Posts

If I drove over from PHX I'd probably bring the wife's Macan GTS... hopefully they wouldn't frown over that.
Old 07-19-2019, 11:56 AM
57staff
Advanced

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

This is not too far away from me. I could make this. My Boxster S is unavailable to bring along, but I'm sure most won't mind.
Old 07-19-2019, 01:45 PM
n4v4nod
Nordschleife Master

I am sad to say I have some bad news regarding this event. Once Nick posted this, I was about to buy a plane ticket for the event. Figured I would reach out for some info from a very credible source ; ) before I made the jump. He informed me that there will not be any 718 (GT4/Spyder), or the Berg Spyder concept. In fact there will not be any Boxster/Cayman on display. He stated there will be 550, 914 and a 918 Spyder... and potentially a Carrara GT. Problem was limited space and the primary focus is on the Mid-engine platform and how it relates to Design and his relationship to Art Center College of Design (ACCD) where Grant studied. None the less, should be a great event... If you haven't heard Grant speak, I recommend doing so. I met him at the Porsche Parade in Spokane. He is a passionate Porsche Designer in it for the true Porsche enthusiast. I have true respect for the guy!
Old 07-19-2019, 01:56 PM
Suicide Jockey
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by n4v4nod
I am sad to say I have some bad news regarding this event. . . . .
Thanks for posting and the great intel. I sorta fanned the flames of hope in my original post that the new Spyder might be on display and would feel horrible if someone drove from afar or bought a plane ticket based in whole or in part on my overly optimistic - and, as it now turns out, erroneous - hunch. As you say, it should still be an interesting and informative event even without the Spyder’s guest appearance.
Old 07-19-2019, 02:05 PM
n4v4nod
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Suicide Jockey
Thanks for posting and the great intel. I sorta fanned the flames of hope in my original post that the new Spyder might be on display and would feel horrible if someone drove from afar or bought a plane ticket based in whole or in part on my overly optimistic - and, as it now turns out, erroneous - hunch. As you say, it should still be an interesting and informative event even without the Spyder’s guest appearance.
It’s all good... we are all super excited to see them in the flesh... and the idea to see them 7 months before deliveries start and presented by the man himself! Wow. I was all over that! Guess we have to wait until November at the LA show. We should do a meet up!
Old 07-19-2019, 03:00 PM
dlbehrns
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

IMHO: the 981s have a striking resemblance to the 05 Ferrari Modena. dlb
Old 07-20-2019, 02:42 AM
various cheeses
Racer

Received 53 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by dlbehrns
IMHO: the 981s have a striking resemblance to the 05 Ferrari Modena. dlb
I'm glad I'm not the only one who thinks this... although I have gotten a few "nice Ferrari"s before.
Old 07-20-2019, 03:14 AM
wizee
Rennlist Member

Received 823 Likes on 452 Posts

Originally Posted by various cheeses
I'm glad I'm not the only one who thinks this... although I have gotten a few "nice Ferrari"s before.
LOL, same when I had rented a guards red 981 Boxster a couple years ago and was driving around town with the top down and sport mode enabled.

Quick Reply: Uncompromised Design - A Study on Mid-Engine Porsches