Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LN Engineering PDK oil water exchanger experience?

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2019, 12:26 PM
duffin
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default LN Engineering PDK oil water exchanger experience?

Number 1 issue doing spirited driving and tracking on a 981 Cayman is high oil temp and keeping PDK happy.

I am adding the 3rd radiator, but also looking for oil water exchanger solutions to keep PDK temp happy.

I found this LN Engineering PDK cooler.
https://lnengineering.com/987-981-pd...ide-mount.html

Anyone with experience with this cooler or alternative?

Given I may add Soul headers, concerned about clearances as well.

Old 07-09-2019, 03:05 PM
Charles Navarro
Rennlist Member

Received 1,135 Likes on 594 Posts

Originally Posted by duffin
Number 1 issue doing spirited driving and tracking on a 981 Cayman is high oil temp and keeping PDK happy.

I am adding the 3rd radiator, but also looking for oil water exchanger solutions to keep PDK temp happy.

I found this LN Engineering PDK cooler.
https://lnengineering.com/987-981-pd...ide-mount.html

Anyone with experience with this cooler or alternative?

Given I may add Soul headers, concerned about clearances as well.
Our PDK side mount cooler will clear the factory exhaust as well as the Soul system, having just installed both together on a customer's car recently.

The single greatest way to address the engine oil temperature is to install our 2.5 quart deep sump:

https://lnengineering.com/products/b...1-engines.html

It's been shown to drop oil temps 30-40F.
Old 07-09-2019, 03:20 PM
duffin
Advanced

I'm concerned about the deep sump when I am lowering the car -20mm with a X73 suspension kit.
Will the deep sump clear?
Also should I prioritize deep sump over PDK side-mounted cooler?
Old 07-09-2019, 03:45 PM
Charles Navarro
Rennlist Member

I'm concerned about the deep sump when I am lowering the car -20mm with a X73 suspension kit.
Will the deep sump clear?
Also should I prioritize deep sump over PDK side-mounted cooler?
Ground clearance has never been an issue with the billet deep sump, even with full race suspensions on our GTB1 builds. I ran one on my 2010 Cayman S with coil overs running GT3RS ride height and never had it bottom out once on the street.

We do offer skid plates if you are concerned for extra margin on a street driven car.

As far as prioritizing, an engine is more expensive than the gearbox so I would address high oil temperatures first.

I'd be more concerned about servicing the PDK with fresh fluid and a new filter much more frequently than you would for a street car. When we serviced our GTB1 cars, the PDK fluid got changed every other event, gear side fluid every third, and filter for the PDK every other fluid change. Coupled with the Driven DCT and all the extra cooling, we never had any issues with our fleet of PDK race cars we maintained, when we were focusing on track support.

We ended up coming up with other upgrades, like our billet PDK pan with modular filter, to address the high costs for pan/filter replacement from Porsche. We also developed an axle spacer kit to address issues with PDK axle seals getting damaged.

I know some have had negative experiences with the PDK, but as a whole, we have had great results with the PDK in race use.

Same with the 9A1 engine. It's been bulletproof for us as long as you keep it cool and use good oil (we only run Driven XP9 for engines that see track duty).
Old 07-09-2019, 04:52 PM
duffin
Advanced

Originally Posted by Charles Navarro
Ground clearance has never been an issue with the billet deep sump, even with full race suspensions on our GTB1 builds. I ran one on my 2010 Cayman S with coil overs running GT3RS ride height and never had it bottom out once on the street.

We do offer skid plates if you are concerned for extra margin on a street driven car.

As far as prioritizing, an engine is more expensive than the gearbox so I would address high oil temperatures first.

I'd be more concerned about servicing the PDK with fresh fluid and a new filter much more frequently than you would for a street car. When we serviced our GTB1 cars, the PDK fluid got changed every other event, gear side fluid every third, and filter for the PDK every other fluid change. Coupled with the Driven DCT and all the extra cooling, we never had any issues with our fleet of PDK race cars we maintained, when we were focusing on track support.

We ended up coming up with other upgrades, like our billet PDK pan with modular filter, to address the high costs for pan/filter replacement from Porsche. We also developed an axle spacer kit to address issues with PDK axle seals getting damaged.

I know some have had negative experiences with the PDK, but as a whole, we have had great results with the PDK in race use.

Same with the 9A1 engine. It's been bulletproof for us as long as you keep it cool and use good oil (we only run Driven XP9 for engines that see track duty).
Charles, thanks for the wonderful inside from all your experiences.

Given this is a 2.7L and I am just trying to keep it healthy and whole driving HWY 1 (every weekend) and Sonoma Raceway and Laguna Seca (4-5x a year) and using it as a street car 1-2x a week, I need to watch the overkill factor.

So, I was thinking with a CSF center radiator install, I'd be lowering oil temp to stay below 250 degrees and change oil frequently (my guy uses Swepco 530).
But I worry about the PDK, thus I was thinking your PDK-side cooler would be an economical insurance plan with the full PDK service I just had.
With my driving profile and the info above, you are recommending the sump AND the PDK-side cooler?
Old 07-09-2019, 05:47 PM
Charles Navarro
Rennlist Member

I would certainly do the CSF center (and top exit if you like the look) and PDK cooler, then monitor your coolant and oil temperatures. If you are consistently seeing temperatures over 250F, I'd add the deep sump next. Perhaps your base model runs lower oil temperatures than the S models and for sure, less then a Clubsport or car that has been fitted with a 3.8 - those run the hottest on track.

Don't make too many changes at once or then you won't know which change helped the most.
The following users liked this post:
Vettel-ish (07-09-2019)
Old 07-09-2019, 09:52 PM
badabing
Rennlist Member

Received 85 Likes on 67 Posts

I have the 3rd rad (oem on 987S pdk) upgraded to CSF Race, the GT3 smile vent, the BGB air/oil diff cooler and most recently this LN engineering PDK cooler.

I also have Fabspeed race headers installed.

Car is a 2010 Cayman S PDK.

I installed everything myself except the LN cooler. The shop I used never installed one before but said it was straight forward. Charged me 6 hours but I think it should have been 4 or 5.

I don't have a way to monitor temps so can't really say what the difference is lol.

I'm faster on track because my wallet is lighter.
The following users liked this post:
kcirderf (10-02-2020)
Old 07-09-2019, 11:18 PM
duffin
Advanced

6 hours seems too long.

Last edited by duffin; 07-10-2019 at 08:58 PM.
Old 07-10-2019, 08:53 PM
duffin
Advanced

I would certainly do the CSF center (and top exit if you like the look) and PDK cooler, then monitor your coolant and oil temperatures. If you are consistently seeing temperatures over 250F, I'd add the deep sump next. Perhaps your base model runs lower oil temperatures than the S models and for sure, less then a Clubsport or car that has been fitted with a 3.8 - those run the hottest on track.
Ordered the CSF and PDK cooler.

Charles,
What do you think about badabing's install of 6 hours? Seems to only need 3-4 hours of install?
What PDF fluid do you recommend for street/track?
Link to the billet PDK pan with modular filter?
Can you comment more on the axle spacer kit to address issues with PDK axle seals getting damaged?
Old 07-10-2019, 11:09 PM
Charles Navarro
Rennlist Member

Ordered the CSF and PDK cooler.

Charles,
What do you think about badabing's install of 6 hours? Seems to only need 3-4 hours of install?
What PDF fluid do you recommend for street/track?
Link to the billet PDK pan with modular filter?
Can you comment more on the axle spacer kit to address issues with PDK axle seals getting damaged?
We use the Driven DCT for both street and track. I've run it in VW DSG boxes as well with zero issues in my GTI and Macan.

Here is the billet PDK pan. It also increases the fill by about half a quart:

https://lnengineering.com/products/b...ssion-pan.html

As far as the axle spacer, the description on the store explains it best:

This axle spacer kit alleviates the added stresses put onto the axle with the additional camber and track width that comes with race alignment adjustments. The output shaft, that is only help in by a wire clip, will pull out of the transmission. This can tear the seal causing intermix of the PDK and gear fluid, and also disengage the differential. This can cause serious damage on track.

https://lnengineering.com/products/b...pacer-kit.html

As far as hours, I'm not sure. I don't do any of the estimating for the race shop side of the house. You're welcome to call LN and speak to my technician, Andy. He handles most of the requests for support at LN. Just give him a call at 815-472-2939 and I'm sure he'd be happy to review any and all of your questions about the upgrades.
Old 07-14-2019, 04:08 PM
duffin
Advanced

We use the Driven DCT for both street and track. I've run it in VW DSG boxes as well with zero issues in my GTI and Macan.

Here is the billet PDK pan. It also increases the fill by about half a quart:

https://lnengineering.com/products/b...ssion-pan.html

As far as the axle spacer, the description on the store explains it best:

This axle spacer kit alleviates the added stresses put onto the axle with the additional camber and track width that comes with race alignment adjustments. The output shaft, that is only help in by a wire clip, will pull out of the transmission. This can tear the seal causing intermix of the PDK and gear fluid, and also disengage the differential. This can cause serious damage on track.

https://lnengineering.com/products/b...pacer-kit.html

As far as hours, I'm not sure. I don't do any of the estimating for the race shop side of the house. You're welcome to call LN and speak to my technician, Andy. He handles most of the requests for support at LN. Just give him a call at 815-472-2939 and I'm sure he'd be happy to review any and all of your questions about the upgrades.
Charles, thanks for the info. I’ve switched to a 2015 CS car. I notice the billet pan and spacer product page do not list these products as compatible?
Old 07-15-2019, 09:31 AM
Charles Navarro
Rennlist Member

Charles, thanks for the info. I’ve switched to a 2015 CS car. I notice the billet pan and spacer product page do not list these products as compatible?
They are also compatible with the 981/991. No problem there.

For the oil pan, it's not until Porsche went to a plastic engine oil sump pan that they slightly changed the design, which we have a replacement billet deep sump for that application in development currently.
Old 07-15-2019, 09:55 AM
duffin
Advanced

They are also compatible with the 981/991. No problem there.

For the oil pan, it's not until Porsche went to a plastic engine oil sump pan that they slightly changed the design, which we have a replacement billet deep sump for that application in development currently.
My current PDK billet pan is weeping. I’ll order both the PDK cooler and PDK billet pan/filter kit IF compatible with 2015 CS?

What PDK trans fluid do you recommend running for street/track?
Old 07-15-2019, 09:57 AM
Charles Navarro
Rennlist Member

My current PDK billet pan is weeping. I’ll order both the PDK cooler and PDK billet pan/filter kit IF compatible with 2015 CS?

What PDK trans fluid do you recommend running for street/track?
Yes, both would be compatible with your 2015.

We use Driven DCT in our shop for all PDK/DSG services:

https://lnengineering.com/driven-dct...d-1-quart.html
Old 07-15-2019, 10:19 AM
duffin
Advanced

Yes, both would be compatible with your 2015.

We use Driven DCT in our shop for all PDK/DSG services:

https://lnengineering.com/driven-dct...d-1-quart.html
Great! If I am installing PDK cool and PDK billet pan, what quantity Driven DCT should I order?

Quick Reply: LN Engineering PDK oil water exchanger experience?