Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Can someone figure out what's up with this car?

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2019, 03:54 PM
Live Steam
Racer

Received 341 Likes on 138 Posts

This is the car. The Carfax link is on the listing.
Old 06-12-2019, 03:55 PM
Tom R.
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 114 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by Live Steam
Well never bought used and this would be long distance. Just don't need a headache. If the Carfax is that off, then they really have no value. I suspect that the issues arise because many of these cars are lease turn-ins. They get sold at auction, traded and sometimes a particular dealer may have multiple locations under different business names and they trade/swap them as well. That info needs to then be input to the Carfax. Sometimes a one owner car has a really long history list. If I could find a CPO withe way I want it, that would certainly alleviate any concerns.
A buddy is looking at a P car from a non P dealer too. He spoke with the manger of the dealership and basically said "I will pay to ship the car to the dealer by me. If it passes a PPI I will buy the car. If it fails I will pay to ship it back." Selling dealer got him a quote for enclosed transport. I got a quote for enclosed transport on line and the dealer was about $80 more. I think the car is on its way to a PPI.
Old 06-12-2019, 04:00 PM
Tom R.
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 114 Likes on 82 Posts

This is the car. The Carfax link is on the listing.
01/04/2019 15,670
Florida
Motor Vehicle Dept.
Pompano Beach, FL
Odometer reading reported

05/31/2019 27,375
Mark Cooke's Euroclassics
Midlothian, VA
804-794-6868
euroclassics.com4.6

5 Verified Reviews

Four wheel alignment performed
Four tires balanced
Four tires mounted
My guess is the service advisor hit a 2 instead of a 1 when they mounted the tires. Almost 12,000 miles in 4.5 months. Gotta sleep in the car for that mileage.
Old 06-12-2019, 04:07 PM
CaymanSinAR
Rennlist Member

Received 636 Likes on 402 Posts

So those numbers are enter manually? Thought maybe they were generated from the the ODB port readings and that data was then submitted to Carfax.
Nope. Straight from whatever the tech puts on the ticket. I know this because a two years ago a tech that couldn't read the mileage on my 2001 Miata reported it to Carfax as having 100,000 miles. It actually had 24,000 miles at the time. I took it back to the dealership when I saw the mistake on the Carfax report and the dealership contacted Carfax and had the improper listing removed and updated.

Saw another instance of this yesterday looking at GT3s. Car had extensive service history up to 28,000 miles. The last report was 2,800 miles and Carfax had it flagged as a mileage inconsistency. Pretty easy to tell it was a fat finger mistake.

Quick Reply: Can someone figure out what's up with this car?