Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wheel question

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2019, 05:36 PM
garfunkle
Banned

Received 1,149 Likes on 630 Posts
Default Wheel question

What's the lightest wheels people are running?

How much lighter are the HRE FF wheels on average over stock?
Old 04-01-2019, 06:58 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 807 Likes on 469 Posts

Porsche offered several wheel options for these cars, which wheel do you have?
Old 04-01-2019, 07:07 PM
garfunkle
Banned

Originally Posted by Marine Blue
Porsche offered several wheel options for these cars, which wheel do you have?
19" split 5 spoke. HRE FF01 seem like the best bang for the buck and are low ~20lbs. It seems like 3x the cost to get something 1 or 2 pounds lighter:/
Old 04-02-2019, 12:19 AM
Zach L
Rennlist Member

Received 468 Likes on 305 Posts

I believe the lightest OEM 19" wheel Porsche ever made for a production car was the 987 Boxster Spyder / Cayman R wheels

19x8.5 @ 21.4 lbs
19x10 @ 23.4 lbs
Old 04-02-2019, 08:30 AM
Scooby921
Racer

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

I haven't put them on the scale, but my arms tell me that my OEM 20" Carrera S wheels with OEM 235/265 PZero's are lighter than my 19" (1/2" wider) HRE FF01's wrapped in 235/265 RE-71R's. I will be swapping wheels in a couple weeks when the weather finally gets warm and stays warm. I'll try to put them on a scale at that time. I believe Tirerack publishes approximate weights for tires, so those can be subtracted from totals to get approximate wheel weights.

Tire weights:
PZero 235/35R20 = 22lbs, 265/35R20 = 28lbs
RE-71R 235/40R19 = 24lbs, 265/40R19 = 28lbs
Old 04-02-2019, 08:37 AM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 807 Likes on 469 Posts

The Spyder wheels were the lightest made for the 987 but I do believe there are one or two aftermarket wheels which may be lighter. I thought OZ made a lighter wheel also?

Scooby brings up a great point about the tires, I’ve found that Pirelli and Michelin are the lightest tires on the market by at least 2 - 4 lbs a tire. Bridgestones are much heavier as are some of the other brands. I believe some of the Continentals are also lighter but they seem to lack the performance of the Michelin and Pirelli.
Old 04-02-2019, 11:33 AM
olegd
Rennlist Member

Received 229 Likes on 158 Posts

Volk TE37 in 18 are < 20 lbs front and just over 20 rears. They are excellent forged wheels. Hard to find though.
Old 04-02-2019, 11:36 AM
garfunkle
Banned

Originally Posted by olegd
Volk TE37 in 18 are < 20 lbs front and just over 20 rears. They are excellent forged wheels. Hard to find though.
Are they actually, fully forged?
Old 04-02-2019, 11:54 AM
olegd
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by garfunkle
Are they actually, fully forged?
Definitely, proudly made in Japan for many years. One of the strongest wheels you can find.
I think they look damn good too, even when covered in brake dust!
Old 04-02-2019, 01:04 PM
Zach L
Rennlist Member

Received 468 Likes on 305 Posts

Originally Posted by Marine Blue
The Spyder wheels were the lightest made for the 987 but I do believe there are one or two aftermarket wheels which may be lighter. I thought OZ made a lighter wheel also?
Yes, there are a TON of aftermarket wheels that are lighter. Most are much more expensive though. The best combination of lightweight and inexpensive in aftermarket alloys IMO is the OZ Alleggerita ...can't be beat for the price.

The 987 Spyder/CR wheels were the lightest 19" OEM road wheel Porsche has made. Lighter than many of Porsche's 18" wheels, but there are lower-diameter OEM wheels that are lighter. For the combination of looks and performance for the street, the BS/CR wheels are the pinnacle. I use those for the street and the OZ Alleggeritas for my track setup.
Old 04-02-2019, 01:19 PM
Code
Three Wheelin'

Received 51 Likes on 37 Posts

If I remember correctly my 20" FF-01's were 3-4lbs lighter a piece that my stock Carrera S wheels. BTW, here is a great thread comparing various wheels and their weight

https://www.bimmerboost.com/showthre...8-20-inch-rims
Old 04-02-2019, 04:29 PM
MidEngineRules
Burning Brakes

Received 257 Likes on 153 Posts

Originally Posted by Code
If I remember correctly my 20" FF-01's were 3-4lbs lighter a piece that my stock Carrera S wheels. BTW, here is a great thread comparing various wheels and their weight

https://www.bimmerboost.com/showthre...8-20-inch-rims
Strength is the variable never considered. Forged is only stronger pound per pound. Ideally what you want is high strength, light weight, and low cost if able. That probably best describes OEM wheels. Happy to have less weight, but if it results in a more fragile wheel then no thanks. And since there are no tests to prove strength I just stay away from aftermarket. But also I typically buy the cars in which Porsche puts their efforts toward real weight savings, ie, Cayman R, Spyders, and GT4. I'd rather Porsche do all the engineering.
Old 04-02-2019, 04:44 PM
olegd
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by MidEngineRules
Strength is the variable never considered. Forged is only stronger pound per pound. Ideally what you want is high strength, light weight, and low cost if able. That probably best describes OEM wheels. Happy to have less weight, but if it results in a more fragile wheel then no thanks. And since there are no tests to prove strength I just stay away from aftermarket. But also I typically buy the cars in which Porsche puts their efforts toward real weight savings, ie, Cayman R, Spyders, and GT4. I'd rather Porsche do all the engineering.
Porsche doesn't engineer wheels. They get wheel manufacturers to do that. Most Porsche wheels are made by BBS. And there are tests to prove strength of wheels: JWL, JWL+R, VIA, TUV
Old 04-04-2019, 12:57 AM
vracer
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

"Paint" your wheel? My avatar shows my 911 with the stock wheel. sometime after that pic, I decided I wanted a 930 wheel, and ordered one in black. My car has a medium/dark blue interior. I found a guy who refurbishes interiors at used car lots. 5 years ago he 'painted' my 930 wheel to match interior. It still matches. (He made me very scared of used cars. I looked at a Volvo convertible he had worked on. One seat looked new, while the other made me want to puke.)
Old 04-04-2019, 09:58 AM
MidEngineRules
Burning Brakes

Received 257 Likes on 153 Posts

Originally Posted by olegd
Porsche doesn't engineer wheels. They get wheel manufacturers to do that. Most Porsche wheels are made by BBS. And there are tests to prove strength of wheels: JWL, JWL+R, VIA, TUV
Those are certifications. They aren't actual measured strengths to the point comparisons could be made to determine how one wheel may fare against another in the real world. No 2 wheels are going to handle stresses the same. With offsets the way they are today, the inside rim edge is much easier to warp than the outside edge where the wheel resides (wheel versus rim). I have forged wheels on my daily driver right now and need new tires. I'm half expecting that at least one wheel's inner rim edge is going to be out of round thanks in total to a new road transition being like a 2 inch wall for which I hit hard enough to greatly damage the tire. Wheels are so susceptible to damage these days thanks to the market wanting larger wheel diameters with small tire sidewalls. When Porsche went to 20" wheels with the 981 I wasn't pleased. I ultimately value strength as I've dealt with enough out of round wheels in my life (mainly on BMWs and once had 4 out of round wheels on my E92 M3 with forged OEM wheels). So without being able to make direct comparisons, I lean toward the car maker making the choice to prioritize strength over weight. I'll take the slightly heavier wheel if I think I'll have less issues with wheel damage. These days it's becoming a crap shoot.

My reference to Porsche wheels wasn't an assertion they manufacture the wheels. The BBS plant in Germany wasn't terribly far from my house. It mostly made wheels for car makers, so I'm well aware of how this process works. BBS wouldn't survive as a company if they didn't. In fact, they almost went out of business in 2009. I've had many OEM wheels made by BBS, as well as BBS "proper" wheels. I do appreciate their manufacturing and quality standards. In the end, I'm more than satisfied with OEM wheels as they are "period correct" and I like that, and I don't find wheels made for a multitude of different cars aesthetically appealing. When I had a Cayman R and 2011 Spyder (simultaneously), both had Spyder wheels and I would have never thought any other wheel could look as correct on those cars.

Last edited by MidEngineRules; 04-04-2019 at 11:17 AM.

Quick Reply: Wheel question