Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

987.1 Squeal

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2019, 10:04 PM
Jbier
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default 987.1 Squeal

Welp, my engine has developed a squeal that appears to be coming from the rear of the engine where it mounts with the transmission, but honestly it just sounds like its coming from anywhere in the engine compartment. At idle, the noise is there, but under any load the noise goes away. Also, I noticed that ever since the squeal, an alarming amount of white smoke pours out of my exhaust at startup and during heavy acceleration. I believe the sound and smoke to be the cause of a failed Air/Oil separator, but I would like a few opinions. Here is a video:
Old 03-29-2019, 05:06 AM
Insmniac95
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default failed AOS

My car had the same symptons when my AOS failed. There was a small hole in the rubber vacuum diaphragm which most likely caused the squealing/whistling. Replaced the AOS and everything is back to normal.
I have a 2007 Cayman S.
Old 03-29-2019, 11:56 AM
YllwG8r
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks very much for that video!

I had a bit of the white smoke during a start up and was told to consider a new AOS as well. I haven't done it yet, but if I hear that squeal at least I won't freak out!
Old 03-29-2019, 12:06 PM
SpyderSenseOC
Rennlist Member

Received 1,341 Likes on 803 Posts

Originally Posted by Jbier
Welp, my engine has developed a squeal that appears to be coming from the rear of the engine where it mounts with the transmission, but honestly it just sounds like its coming from anywhere in the engine compartment. At idle, the noise is there, but under any load the noise goes away. Also, I noticed that ever since the squeal, an alarming amount of white smoke pours out of my exhaust at startup and during heavy acceleration. I believe the sound and smoke to be the cause of a failed Air/Oil separator, but I would like a few opinions. Here is a video: https://youtu.be/mt1_P0GuuJo
I have no idea about any AOS but the noise is definitely air movement related. That's good news.
Old 09-29-2023, 01:18 PM
mposton
AutoX

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Did you ever find the issue? My 2008 is doing the same thing and Im suspecting the exhaust. I already changed the AOS

Quick Reply: 987.1 Squeal