Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Coolant leak and Glamor shots

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2019, 09:12 PM
Surfndav
Racer

Received 62 Likes on 47 Posts
Default Coolant leak and Glamor shots

Hello all, I took a couple of glamor shots this afternoon. I'm liking how this is coming together.
But along the way, I was pushing it quite hard and when I stopped I had steam coming from the engine bay. I let it cool down a bit and checked the levels and it was showing full. So I drove it home slowly and took the engine cover off. It looks to me like the coolant cap in the engine bay was letting coolant pass. It did seem loose, but not tight either. So I put it on tight and topped off the coolant as it was showing just below "min" level. Below the glamor shots, I've put some pictures from the engine bay. Is it possible that this cap is bad, or was it lose?

Pictures in post below

Last edited by Surfndav; 01-30-2019 at 09:27 PM. Reason: was not done with post
Old 01-30-2019, 09:27 PM
Surfndav
Racer

Originally Posted by Surfndav
Hello all, I took a couple of glamor shots this afternoon. I'm liking how this is coming together.
But along the way, I was pushing it quite hard and when I stopped I had steam coming from the engine bay. I let it cool down a bit and checked the levels and it was showing full. So I drove it home slowly and took the engine cover off. It looks to me like the coolant cap in the engine bay was letting coolant pass. It did seem loose, but not tight either. So I put it on tight and topped off the coolant as it was showing just below "min" level. Below the glamor shots, I've put some pictures from the engine bay. Is it possible that this cap is bad, or was it lose?

Old 01-30-2019, 11:30 PM
Surfndav
Racer

I just ordered a new expansion tank cap hopefully, that will do it.
Old 01-31-2019, 01:30 AM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 807 Likes on 469 Posts

Might be a good idea to also change the o-ring on the trunk cap, they are also known to leak with time.
Old 01-31-2019, 07:31 AM
Surfndav
Racer

Originally Posted by Marine Blue
Might be a good idea to also change the o-ring on the trunk cap, they are also known to leak with time.
I had initially thought that was the problem because I saw a little fluid in the rubber lining. After tightening that down it seems to have dried up. But I will look into getting one. Thanks
Old 01-31-2019, 08:41 AM
MyNameIdeasWereT
Pro

Received 81 Likes on 58 Posts

Entirely possible that a new cap will fix it. But monitor this closely and keep an eye on your temperature.

Excess pressure can be a sign of a number of things, including a stuck thermostat or clogged radiator.
Any signs of oil mixed in the coolant or any exhaust fumes from the coolant reservoir?
Old 01-31-2019, 10:05 AM
Dave in Chicago
Rennlist Member

Received 266 Likes on 173 Posts

It is certainly worth trying the new cap. They have been through a number of updates over time. I replaced mine a few years ago and the new part, at that time, ended in .04. Zero issues for me since then.
Old 01-31-2019, 10:11 AM
Surfndav
Racer

Originally Posted by MyNameIdeasWereT
Entirely possible that a new cap will fix it. But monitor this closely and keep an eye on your temperature.

Excess pressure can be a sign of a number of things, including a stuck thermostat or clogged radiator.
Any signs of oil mixed in the coolant or any exhaust fumes from the coolant reservoir?
no signs of any exhaust in the coolant reservoir‘s either in the trunk or the engine bay. My temperature gauge is showing normal at about 175. It doesn’t seem to go much above that.
Old 01-31-2019, 10:16 PM
jg (atl)
Instructor

Received 78 Likes on 38 Posts

Always a good idea to have the latest version of the coolant cap. You should check with the dealer or wherever you buy the new cap to see what the latest revision number is, and buy that cap.
Old 01-31-2019, 10:57 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by MyNameIdeasWereT

I agree that it’s worth monitoring but I can also comment that my coolant cap in the trunk started seeping when my Spyder was 3 years old. It was never enough to cause alight to come on but it did seep. I changed the O Ring about 4 years ago and it stopped seeping. I expect a new o-ring will be needed again soon. For reference my Spyder has 17k miles now, coolant was flushed two years ago and it tested perfectly so it wasn’t necessary.

The caps and water pump are a known issue, worth monitoring and changing as needed.
Old 01-31-2019, 11:25 PM
Surfndav
Racer

I agree that it’s worth monitoring but I can also comment that my coolant cap in the trunk started seeping when my Spyder was 3 years old. It was never enough to cause alight to come on but it did seep. I changed the O Ring about 4 years ago and it stopped seeping. I expect a new o-ring will be needed again soon. For reference my Spyder has 17k miles now, coolant was flushed two years ago and it tested perfectly so it wasn’t necessary.

The caps and water pump are a known issue, worth monitoring and changing as needed.
Good news, I think I fixed it. I have a very nice and twisty 15-mile drive/road near my house. Now I've only had this car since last Christmas but I've done this drive about 7 times now. Every time I've done this drive near the end (turnaround point) I've had either light steam and or a coolant smell coming from the right side vent. I also have had a small puddle (2 or 3 tablespoons) of coolant on my garage floor a couple of times. I thought it was my filler cap seeping because I see moisture in the fill compartment. I thought it was loose so I tighten it up. I thought it helped, but at the turnaround point on my drive yesterday I not only had more steam than ever before, but I also had fluid dripping from under my car.
So last night I got under the hood, so to speak and found the expansion cap loose and evidence of leakage from that area. So I tightened it up. This afternoon I did the same drive in the most spirited manner to date. This time at the turnaround point, I had no steam, no leaks or dripping.
So I think that is it!! I will be changing out the old fill cap and expansion tank cap right away.
Thanks for all the replies and help.

Now, what about those glamor shots!!

Last edited by Surfndav; 02-01-2019 at 07:41 AM.
Old 01-31-2019, 11:30 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Need more glamour shots
Old 01-31-2019, 11:54 PM
Surfndav
Racer

Need more glamour shots

If you insist.
I've been busy doing some nice little cosmetic upgrades as well as a Billy Boat exhaust. The last picture is the day I bought the car.

today 1-31-19

today 1-31-19

The day I bought the car in Temecula Ca. 12-25-18
Old 02-01-2019, 12:32 AM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

The upgrades are subtle and a definite improvement!

Old 02-01-2019, 08:14 AM
Surfndav
Racer

The upgrades are subtle and a definite improvement!

Thanks, I'm inspired by the Cayman R styling. I took my wife to a Porsche dealership a few months ago to test drive an R, I loved it, she not so much. But little by little I'm making it an R.....I know it will never be an R, but I can dream. Subtle styling is the goal, I'll give a rundown of the things I've done to the car.

Clear marker lights*
All weather floormats.*
Tires, Michelin PS2's
Exhaust, BillyBoat
New front spoilers, painted body color (removed and reinstalled my me, painted by my paint guy)
Window tint side windows, Sunscreen for the rear window.
Porsche Cayman R decal's*
Red "S" emblem rear deck lid*
Removed and painted side vents, black (removed and reinstalled my me, painted by my paint guy)
Headlight ring decals*
Air filter BMC F1*
Oil change, did it myself, it was messy.*
* Things I did myself

It seems like that list should be longer, but that's all I can think of for now. I'm waiting for my paint touch up guy to find more time for me and remove the front licens plate holder and repair the holes that will be there. I am debating having the mirrors painted black, the driver side mirror has some scraps and they need to be cleaned up (painted).....Do I want them to be black? Still thinking about that.
Lastly, I will be installing a clear bra.

I almost bought a highly optioned base 718 last December and I know I would have loved that car, but I'm really having fun toying with all the little upgrades I'm doing on this car. One of the best things about this car.....No car payment, it's all mine. A new car would have required financing, so that raises the happiness meter for me.

Last edited by Surfndav; 02-01-2019 at 10:06 AM.

Quick Reply: Coolant leak and Glamor shots