Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

So I think my waterpump just took a crap.

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2019, 07:42 PM
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts
Default So I think my waterpump just took a crap.

Turned on my car heard a squealing noise then looked underneath and seen white smoke and coolant smell. Any other suggestions what it could be besides the water pump.its a 2009 boxster with the 2.9 9a1 engine
Old 01-12-2019, 11:07 AM
Kayman
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

That sucks. No warning lights on dash?
Old 01-13-2019, 06:01 PM
Rlazer3
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sounds like the water pump seized and died. Not too bad a DIY with some patience. It is less intimidating to change than it first appears. My first one started leaking at about 45k miles. The replacement has lasted to 104k and is just now seeping. Looks like a new water pump for me this week. I am going to replace the thermostat while the fluid is out since it is original. BTW, I am in an 06' CS; not the 2.9. Good luck.
Old 01-13-2019, 07:21 PM
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

Thank you all i ordered the parts and paying a shop for 3hrs labor
Old 08-11-2019, 03:22 PM
981S2013
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Water Pump Leaking at 47k

Originally Posted by Rlazer3
Sounds like the water pump seized and died. Not too bad a DIY with some patience. It is less intimidating to change than it first appears. My first one started leaking at about 45k miles. The replacement has lasted to 104k and is just now seeping. Looks like a new water pump for me this week. I am going to replace the thermostat while the fluid is out since it is original. BTW, I am in an 06' CS; not the 2.9. Good luck.
Thanks Rlazer for your post. I guess it isn’t unheard of to have a Boxster S with a failed water pump at 47k. Does seem awfully early to me.

I have a ‘13 Boxster S, and my independent mechanic noticed that the water pump is seeping water at the impeller. He recommended doing nothing until I start to see the Coolant Warning light. He even suggested that I replace the pump next year. While I appreciate his help in saving me $$, that seems rather far away. I drive this car short distances a few days a week, but plan to drive it from San Jose CA to San Diego and back, stopping in SLO and Paso areas for several days on the way back. Seems to me for a drive like that, I’d want the pump replaced.

Anyone with experience with this issue? Agree with the mechanic? Disagree?

Thanks to all,
Old 08-11-2019, 03:45 PM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,404 Likes on 2,513 Posts

10 years on the water pump. That's great life. All water pumps fail.
Old 08-11-2019, 05:04 PM
kiznarsh
Rennlist Member

Received 293 Likes on 123 Posts

Originally Posted by 981S2013
Replace it now. It's not going to be cheaper if you wait and getting stranded is no fun. Also recommend replacing the thermostat since both are wear items.
Old 08-11-2019, 05:07 PM
Noah Fect
Rennlist Member

Received 1,299 Likes on 886 Posts

Originally Posted by 981S2013
Thanks Rlazer for your post. I guess it isn’t unheard of to have a Boxster S with a failed water pump at 47k. Does seem awfully early to me.

I have a ‘13 Boxster S, and my independent mechanic noticed that the water pump is seeping water at the impeller. He recommended doing nothing until I start to see the Coolant Warning light. He even suggested that I replace the pump next year. While I appreciate his help in saving me $$, that seems rather far away. I drive this car short distances a few days a week, but plan to drive it from San Jose CA to San Diego and back, stopping in SLO and Paso areas for several days on the way back. Seems to me for a drive like that, I’d want the pump replaced.

Thanks to all,
Sounds like bad advice to me. The water temperature gauge in these cars is intentionally designed to lie to you about the actual water temperature. You will have no indication of impending failure until it's too late to adjust your plans. By the time the 'idiot light' comes on, the water temperature will already be extremely high, and in that situation you absolutely have to stop driving immediately if you don't want to destroy your engine. And as you mention, who knows where you'll be when that happens?

If there is reason to believe your water pump is on the way out, it should be replaced sooner rather than later, IMO.

Quick Reply: So I think my waterpump just took a crap.