Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How often do you drive your Porsche?

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2019, 06:51 PM
eyedoc
Instructor

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

Similar driving habits & use in winter as ryanc440, on winter wheels/tires 2-3 X/week as winter conditions/road salt/ snow drifts allow b/w late Nov- mid April. Rest of yr essentially daily. Approx 14000 kms/yr. The car is neither rare nor collectable, just superbly maintained, driven and enjoyed.
Old 01-23-2019, 03:40 PM
DiabloBlanco
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I drive my '16 B-Spyder ~3K per year since I bought her. I do go on long droughts not driving due to travel. I have a trickle charger connected when I'm not driving (which BTW - something went bad when I moved to TX; guy said the humidity must have had an impact). Most of my driving is to and from my golf course and when I gladly run errands (kind of like in the commercials) where I always take the long route!

Maintenance-wise, I'll still do my oil 1x per year and follow the manual on everything else. I may be the only guy in Austin with a Spyder! Seems to be a popular car amongst the trucks towering over me. They always roll down their windows at stop signs to appreciate the sound (though I should mention I have a Soul Performance exhaust that accentuates the Porsche whale)!
Old 01-23-2019, 04:21 PM
Zach L
Rennlist Member

Received 468 Likes on 305 Posts

Every other weekend + occasional track days, autocross, and drive tours.
Old 01-25-2019, 09:15 AM
Kuro Neko
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,708 Likes on 650 Posts

356A - was daily.
2.7S - was daily.
987 - now weekly.
Old 01-25-2019, 10:42 AM
mwest
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm in NJ, we deal with various weather conditions and I have all weather tires capable of driving in snow on my cars in the winter including my performance cars. Those cars I switch back to summer performance tires when winter is gone and colder temps won't adversely effect the summer tires.
But I drive my Cayman S and Boxster as often as possible including in the snow.
I've got ten vehicles and 2 drivers.
My wife loves her Pontiac Vibe (a Toyota matrix in GM disguise) and drives that most of the time and the Boxster if it's not blocked in by too many other cars.
I rotate what I drive each day the goal being to drive every car except her Vibe every week.
In addition to the Cayman, Vibe and Boxster we have 2 Vettes, 2 Miata's, Caddy CTS, and another larger SUV (my track car tow vehicle) and a mini van.
Cars are meant to be driven and they remain healthier longer if driven regularly.
I'm self employed and work from home 3 to 4 days per week so my schedule is flexible and allows me the time to take these cars out and exercise them.
I don't track my miles so I have no idea how many miles I actually drive each car.
My plan is to drive each 1 at least once a week for at least 30-40 miles of high way speed driving.
I live 1.5 miles from an interstate. If I've not yet driven a car during the week I'll take it out for a 40 mile round trip on the interstate at highway speeds to get it's juices flowing.
The area around me has lots of scenic twisty back roads that used to be lightly traveled, but sadly they are no longer lightly traveled.
On nice clear weekend mornings I will go out around 7am for a 2-3 hr drive on those roads and enjoy the empty twisty roads and solitude and scenery.
On nice spring summer or fall days, later in the day my wife(she's not getting up for a 7am drive) will often join me for a drive in one car and other times we'll do a lead follow in 2 cars with no destination in mind.
We always seem to stumble on a quaint place we had no idea existed where we can stop for a light lunch and relax.
She's a photographer and these drives usually turn into a photo shoot for her.
Old 01-25-2019, 03:48 PM
Matador1
Advanced

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

I feel incredible fortunate that I get to drive a Porsche everyday. In the winter I drive the Cayenne TT 75% of the time and the Boxster S only 25%. In the summer it's the reverse.
Old 01-25-2019, 04:27 PM
mwest
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Dennis
I love pic with you the spotless black Cayman against the white snow
That's what's it's all about, driving and enjoying the cars in all sorts of conditions
Good for you
Old 01-25-2019, 08:12 PM
Prisoner48
Intermediate

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

I live in Arizona and we are in our perfect weather period, October through April. I have a new to me 2009 Boxster. I try to get it out once once a week with the top down. I also have two motorcycles that I enjoy riding in the canyons around here. I try to cram all my spirited riding/driving into eight months.

Quick Reply: How often do you drive your Porsche?