Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What would you pay for this GTS?

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2019, 12:17 PM
bminingham
Racer

Received 35 Likes on 26 Posts

i think its a great deal under $70k. Will also hold value.
Old 01-02-2019, 12:57 PM
Fined
Three Wheelin'

Received 208 Likes on 141 Posts

Originally Posted by oofie810
Thanks for the input everyone!

Looks like we're moving on from this one and just getting a base 997.2 PDK. It will be well under our budget, has more cabin space (for our dogs) and my wife can drive it as well. While this car was a blast to drive, I can't justify a car right now that I can only enjoy.

Good call on the 997.2. I'd have one over any Cayman/Boxster every single time (at prices above $40k).
Old 01-03-2019, 02:53 PM
Kayman
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by oofie810
Hi all,

I saw this pop up at my local Carmax https://www.carmax.com/car/16547820 and put a hold on it. I test drove it yesterday and it was a blast, especially with Sport plus and exhaust.

My question is, what would be a good price for this car? Carmax has it for $68,9xx but I'm not sure if that's high or not, but since they have a no-haggle price, that would be the price I'll pay plus TTL.

Let me begin by saying this is somewhat of a funny coincidence. This car popped up in your local carmax because I cancelled my hold on it. I just bought a different GTS from carmax in the area so I had to let this one go.

First off, this is a great spec and it was very hard to pick between the car I ended up buying and this one. My first preference was the carmine red or guards red and I spent a good year looking for good examples in the area. I think the price is fair - it’s not a great deal but if you were looking for a red one in manual, I would consider buying this one. I was looking for a PDK so my wife can also enjoy the car. There are other cars available if you are willing to travel, buy and ship the car from a private party - you may end up saving some money for clear bra or windows tints and side markers etc since most owners would have already done that work on their cars.

I found a car with lower miles and a CPO warranty that extends to almost 2023 with PDK, Bose audio and Nav for a few more $$ than what this car is listed for. So, I ended up buying that one since it felt like a better deal. I did not drive the car you are looking at right now, but I drove a clone that had the exact spec and it was a blast.

If you intend to buy this car, make sure that you do a full inspection of the electronics/switches ..etc. Do not trust their inspection, Carmax folks don’t know anything about these cars. I discovered a non functional switch on the panel and a different issue with the door lock a day after my purchase and I am getting carmax to fix these at my local dealer. So far, carmax seems to be willing to do it right by me, because they have a 7 day return policy and a 30 day warranty. I did not choose to buy the carmax warranty since the car has CPO, but maybe you should consider that. Also, they don’t allow PPIs and swear by their inspection, so you should factor in the cost of a PPI immediately after purchase so you can go return the car if there are over revs and other issues with it. I am getting the dealer to perform a full inspection of my car - right now it is sitting at the dealership 2 days after I bought it

I will wait until my car is fixed up and report the results, my Carmax experience and more info on my car on this forum.
Old 01-03-2019, 03:52 PM
Kayman
Instructor

Originally Posted by Kayman

Let me begin by saying this is somewhat of a funny coincidence. This car popped up in your local carmax because I cancelled my hold on it. I just bought a different GTS from carmax in the area so I had to let this one go.

First off, this is a great spec and it was very hard to pick between the car I ended up buying and this one. My first preference was the carmine red or guards red and I spent a good year looking for good examples in the area. I think the price is fair - it’s not a great deal but if you were looking for a red one in manual, I would consider buying this one. I was looking for a PDK so my wife can also enjoy the car. There are other cars available if you are willing to travel, buy and ship the car from a private party - you may end up saving some money for clear bra or windows tints and side markers etc since most owners would have already done that work on their cars.

I found a car with lower miles and a CPO warranty that extends to almost 2023 with PDK, Bose audio and Nav for a few more $$ than what this car is listed for. So, I ended up buying that one since it felt like a better deal. I did not drive the car you are looking at right now, but I drove a clone that had the exact spec and it was a blast.

If you intend to buy this car, make sure that you do a full inspection of the electronics/switches ..etc. Do not trust their inspection, Carmax folks don’t know anything about these cars. I discovered a non functional switch on the panel and a different issue with the door lock a day after my purchase and I am getting carmax to fix these at my local dealer. So far, carmax seems to be willing to do it right by me, because they have a 7 day return policy and a 30 day warranty. I did not choose to buy the carmax warranty since the car has CPO, but maybe you should consider that. Also, they don’t allow PPIs and swear by their inspection, so you should factor in the cost of a PPI immediately after purchase so you can go return the car if there are over revs and other issues with it. I am getting the dealer to perform a full inspection of my car - right now it is sitting at the dealership 2 days after I bought it

I will wait until my car is fixed up and report the results, my Carmax experience and more info on my car on this forum.
Oh, well. Looks like my reply was too late
Old 01-04-2019, 12:45 AM
hf1
Rennlist Member

Received 1,639 Likes on 1,122 Posts

Originally Posted by Kayman

I did not choose to buy the carmax warranty since the car has CPO, but maybe you should consider that.
CPO transfers to new owner only with a private sale. A non-Porsche dealer sale voids it.
Old 01-04-2019, 01:27 AM
Kayman
Instructor

Originally Posted by hf1

CPO transfers to new owner only with a private sale. A non-Porsche dealer sale voids it.
I am not sure about that. I read a few threads claiming that the CPO warranty will not transfer, so before I bought the car I went to my local dealer and had them pull a report on the VIN which has the factory spec sheet and the warranty info. I specifically asked them if I bought the car will I get the CPO warranty and they service rep confirmed and told me the car was a good buy since it has warranty through 2022. I asked them if I needed any documentation and they said "no, it's tied to the VIN. You are good to go". Then I went to a dealer 100 miles away in a different town and told the sales guy there I was going to buy this nice CPO car at Carmax if they can't find me a GTS by end of year (I had previously asked him to me find me a car) - even they did not say anything about warranty not being transferable if I bought from carman.

Now my car is at a Porsche dealer for repair and the sales person I am dealing with initially said the CPO will not transfer. Then the sales person looked something up in their computer when he was transferring the car to my name and said since the car is under the original factory warranty and it has CPO on the VIN, it would transfer to me even though I bought it at carmax. If the car ran out of factory warranty, but has CPO left, then I would not get the warranty. I am still confused on this honestly, and I will confirm the CPO transfer once again before I take delivery of the car. That's all I can do at this time I guess, unless I want to return the car and void the sale.
Old 01-04-2019, 07:26 AM
vbb
Pro

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

^I would absolutely confirm that your car is under the CPO warranty before you purchase it thinking that it is only to find that it isnt. Call PCNA (not just a local dealership) to confirm that the warranty has transferred. It can be done...individuals sell and transfer CPOs all the time on this forum and others, but you have to call PCNA to be sure. Good luck!
Old 01-04-2019, 07:47 AM
hf1
Rennlist Member

Interesting. First time I hear of this. Anyone here able to confirm it by buying a CPO car still under original warranty from a non-Porsche dealer?

I doubt it mostly because, if true, this would take away an important perk/advantage that Porsche dealers have over non-Porsche ones. Could it be that these dealer reps had only reported what they saw in their VIN system which could take some time to update (erase the CPO) after the sale?
Old 01-04-2019, 10:17 AM
saabin
Rennlist Member

Received 545 Likes on 357 Posts

I have also heard the long-standing statement that CPO won't transfer thru a non-Porsche dealer.

Maybe this is a case of timing.. Consider a car (like the OP) where is is still within the factory warranty BUT also has been CPO'd as well.

In this case, to someone at Porsche looking it up in the computer, maybe they assumed the that you are good to go (since it's still under factory warranty) but didn't realize that the CPO extension would not be valid once the factory warranty part expired?

Just guessing here, Let us know what you find out.

EDIT: I just realized hf1 pretty much said the same thing... I guess I should make sure to read the latest thread
Old 01-04-2019, 10:50 AM
bvanlieu
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by vbb
^I would absolutely confirm that your car is under the CPO warranty before you purchase it thinking that it is only to find that it isnt. Call PCNA (not just a local dealership) to confirm that the warranty has transferred. It can be done...individuals sell and transfer CPOs all the time on this forum and others, but you have to call PCNA to be sure. Good luck!
Certainly can double check with a call, it should simply attach to the VIN.

Our 2015 GTS has CPO tagged to it by the selling dealer, and the 4/50 was still valid, expiring in a few months (12/18). In addition, the original owner had the pre-paid maintenance program. Any dealer just pulls VIN up and see's the CPO end date along with the maintenance events left. This was amusing as the dealer was going to do the maintenance to 'CPO' it, but the maintenance program attached would not allow them to do the 4 year service just yet.

I bought out of state, drove to my local dealer and VIN read showed everything as expected.

- b
Old 01-04-2019, 11:05 AM
hf1
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by bvanlieu
Certainly can double check with a call, it should simply attach to the VIN.

Our 2015 GTS has CPO tagged to it by the selling dealer, and the 4/50 was still valid, expiring in a few months (12/18). In addition, the original owner had the pre-paid maintenance program. Any dealer just pulls VIN up and see's the CPO end date along with the maintenance events left. This was amusing as the dealer was going to do the maintenance to 'CPO' it, but the maintenance program attached would not allow them to do the 4 year service just yet.

I bought out of state, drove to my local dealer and VIN read showed everything as expected.

- b
Not clear about your scenario. Was the CPO "tagged" to it by a Porsche dealer from which you bought the GTS as a CPO car? If so, that is not what's debatable here. The scenario in question is: A CPO Porsche that's still under its original 4/50 warranty gets traded in (or wholesale-auctioned off) to a non-Porsche dealer. Will the CPO warranty get transferred to the new buyer after it gets sold by that dealer? From everything I've read over the years here, the answer has been "no".

Things get "attached to" and "detached from" VIN's all the time. The fact that a CPO is attached to a VIN now, doesn't mean that it will stay there forever, or after a sale from a non-Porsche dealer enters its history.

I seriously doubt that Porsche dealers would allow PCNA to eliminate such an important perk for them without raising major hell about it. I'm sure we would have heard about it here. I hope I'm wrong as that would be better both for us buyers and for non-Porsche dealers.
Old 01-04-2019, 11:57 AM
bvanlieu
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I was just sharing an example of 'its following the VIN' with CPO and maintenance program. Apologies if I muddied the discussion waters. I bought from a Porsche dealer so not the exact match agreed.

The language directly from Porsche is vague, simply stating that CPO follows and I think implies private sale.

"Should you wish to sell your Porsche, you will also benefit from the Porsche Pre-Owned Limited Warranty. The remaining warranty can be transferred to the new owner."

Considering you are paying for a *warranty*, my laymen's understanding of law would make me think that you can't nullify a warranty because someone else is selling the car, unless there is a prorated refund.

Some more digging, direct from Porsche docs:

https://www.porsche.com/usa/approved...ures/warranty/

"If this vehicle is traded to a non-authorized Porsche dealer or broker for resale purposes, the Certified Pre-Owned Limited Warranty is void."

I find that to be deplorable if they are not refunding the prorated amount. Wonder how this has legal (clearly it is, they would not do it otherwise).

Need Steve from Jalopnik to comment

- b
Old 01-04-2019, 12:07 PM
Kayman
Instructor

Well, I guess I need to get the dealer to confirm again. Then I will call PCNA - from what I read, PCNA asks . In my case, the Carfax says the car has been traded in to a Porsche dealer who must have wholesaled to Carmax. I gotta say, it is pretty if a manufacturer voids a warranty that someone paid for unless they refunded it to the previous owner. Personally, it would be a huge bummer if it does not transfer since I was considering it as a factor and checked with my dealership before I bought it.
Old 01-04-2019, 12:07 PM
hf1
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by bvanlieu
Some more digging, direct from Porsche docs:

https://www.porsche.com/usa/approved...ures/warranty/

"If this vehicle is traded to a non-authorized Porsche dealer or broker for resale purposes, the Certified Pre-Owned Limited Warranty is void."

I find that to be deplorable if they are not refunding the prorated amount. Wonder how this has legal (clearly it is, they would not do it otherwise).
It's a contract. Nothing deplorable about it if everything is clearly disclosed and well known by both parties. Market prices reflect the contract's stipulations. If you think that the $3k extra is too much to pay for a CPO warranty as stipulated in the contract, then don't buy it or negotiate its price lower. If someone else will pay it, then that's its market price.

Quick Reply: What would you pay for this GTS?