Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Replaced Water Pump

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2018, 02:27 PM
mytime1
Instructor

Received 81 Likes on 56 Posts
Default Replaced Water Pump

I read a lot about water pump possibly being an issue. I bought one and installed it yesterday as preventative maintenance at 80,124 miles. Took about 2 hours (3-4 beers) from start to finish, including adding new coolant and replacing belt with new belt. Changed oil while I was at it. I did see a small amount of white assuming calcium buildup directly below the pump housing when I removed the old one by the hose clamp. Old one didn't look bad, felt smooth and blades looked good, but gives me peace of mind that it is done now. Only thing I will say is make sure you have lots of extensions of various lengths to remove bolts. Only 1 is a problem, but with the correct extension, I was able to get it out.

The best part however, was after filling the coolant and burping it, etc. I ran it with the engine cover off, windows open, and heater on full blast some back country roads near the house. Damn that sounded good!
Old 12-29-2018, 09:33 PM
bmw_e30
Rennlist Member

Received 182 Likes on 120 Posts

yes the old engine cover off trick

i've done it a few times
Old 12-30-2018, 04:29 PM
desmotesta
Rennlist Member

Received 2,080 Likes on 990 Posts

Originally Posted by bmw_e30
yes the old engine cover off trick

i've done it a few times
the sound is the reason I am keeping my clear engine cover. Bought it for looks, got over the look but damn the engine sounds so good with the cover

Keeping it for good

Quick Reply: Replaced Water Pump