Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cayman, Any Regrets?

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2018, 12:59 AM
billwot
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

I have had lots of sport/performance cars going back to my '56 TR3. They have included some fairly exotic stuff, and 6 previous mid-engine cars.

My '11 Cayman base is the best.

But I can't put my D28 Martin in the rear compartment.
Old 12-28-2018, 05:55 PM
james.fox
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a 2014 Cayman S with MT. Absolutely no regrets. In Houston, I don't have to deal with snow. Golf clubs and bag (or guitar) will fit in the back trunk, but usually just throw them in the front seat as it's easy, and clearly reinforces my life priorities.

Also - how could anybody say that 2 trunks are impractical?
Old 12-31-2018, 07:15 AM
bvanlieu
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by torquetones
I'm considering buying a cayman or boxster as a daily driver but I have concerns about the fact it has no back seat and limited storage.
For those of you who own one, any regrets? Do you find you need a second car that has back seat and full trunk for hauling things?
I'm a guitar player and pretty sure I would not be able to fit a full sized guitar into either of these cars.
It seems there are few rivals when it comes to a pure sports car. So many others seem to be just a compromise in the same price point.
I'd consider buying a used Cayman starting in 2009 so I can get the PDK trans. I love driving a stick and feel more connected with the car, but I might regret it in stop and go traffic.
Any advice / lessons learned from those who own a Cayman or Boxster as a daily driver?
The 987 has a bit more hatch room: shape of the car provides a few extra inches. I was able able to fit my L road bike in there (bit tight) as a frame with the two wheels on top.

Our new 981 has a bit less space: golf clubs for me ride shot gun (bit too much smushing on the 981 hatch easy fit in 987). Thats for some common large items that matter to me. Smaller stuff the trunk and frunk is more usable IMHO then the 'its got a back seat' 911 nonsense. We drove both, the back seat in a 911 is only good for tossing a back pack or a misbehaving neighbor child into. We ended up with the better car for us in a 981 (vs 991.1) as its just more primal of a sports car vs. being all grown up.

Is it mildly annoying to have the clubs ride shotgun in the 981? Sure.

Do I forget about all of that once I drive it on the back roads? Absolutely.

If you really want something more usable for a back seat and not 4 doors, I'd look at an M2, or 235M for 90% of the M car.

- b
Old 01-03-2019, 09:37 PM
Tom R.
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 100 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by bvanlieu
Is it mildly annoying to have the clubs ride shotgun in the 981? Sure.

- b
I think it was 14 years ago I looked at a Carrera in Chappaqua NY. Original owner. Very clean. Only wear was on the passenger seat where the clubs rubbed against the seat. Owner was a member of a club in Philly and he didn't like or couldn't fit the clubs in the frunk. Took it for a test drive. As I was about to punch it he said "Clintons live over there". My response "Should I drive a little past the secret service before I punch it?" "that may be wise".
Old 01-03-2019, 11:17 PM
Jack-Porsche
Instructor

Received 27 Likes on 17 Posts

I think you could make it work as an only car if you have no snow, kids, dogs, etc...
I think some of the fun would get lost if it were my only car and I had to experience some of the frustrations of limited space,etc.
Old 01-06-2019, 07:09 PM
CrocRocket502
AutoX

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have a 2011 987.2 CS. Not a garage queen but it's not my daily either, so I can't speak to your first question. However, the previous owner did daily drive it. For me, not daily driving it makes it all the more special when I want to jump in and bomb down some back roads.

There is a surprising amount of storage and hauling space for the size of the car as the previous posters have replied and have shown with their pics. Plenty enough for a road trip or a stop at the super market on the way home.

My only regret? Not buying one sooner. I think the 987 is a real sweet spot between the old and the new. It feels close to the same size as my 944 turbo and air cooled 911's, yet modern enough to feel new. It falls right in there with the 997. Not quite as plush as a newer 981 or 991. Those are terrific cars and probably better in every way. The 987 just has more of a raw feel about it. It's hard to describe. Not to mention the amount of car you get per dollar. It's not the fastest car on the road, but it has more than enough horsepower to be fun. Really fun! It's been really reliable car as well.

I am a guitar player (hack really) and I do find it challenging to fit my acoustic cases in the rear. I have to position it with the neck in between the seats or put it in the front seat as a previous poster mentioned.

My car has the PDK with the sport and sport plus option. It's my first non-manual Porsche. I was a little skeptical at first, but once I drove it, I knew right then I was going buying it. The PDK is so awesome. Hype well deserved. And it is nice in stop and go traffic. Again, it's doesn't seem quite as refined as the PDK in a 981 or 718, but it is awesome!

Don't wait around to buy one if you can. Any Porsche for that matter. Find one that fits your budget, passes a PPI and enjoy! Life's too short not to enjoy it!

Quick Reply: Cayman, Any Regrets?