Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is this normal for spherical bearing ball joint?

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2018, 02:50 AM
redvancitycayman
Rennlist Member

Received 18 Likes on 11 Posts
Question Is this normal for spherical bearing ball joint?

Hi,

I've been chasing around a vibration when going over bumps slowly and turning the wheel at low speeds and then when turning the wheel slightly at speeds above 62 mph or 100 kph. I traced it to these control arms I've had installed for a month. Could anyone with experience with aftermarket control arms tell me if this is how adjustable LCAs with spherical ball joint bearings should behave or if this is how easily you can play around with the ball joint. If anyone who has experience with elephant racing control arms could provide their opinion too that would be great! The LCA on the left is OEM and the elephant racing one is on the left. I spoke to support at elephant racing and they said that this was normal amount of free play.

Thanks!

TLDR; please look at the video below and if you have experience with aftermarket control arms that have spherical bearings ball joints tell me if this is a normal amount of play. OEM on the left and Elephant racing on the right. Elephant racing support says this is normal.. I'm not quite sure and would like opinions

Here is a link to the video:

Thank you!

Last edited by redvancitycayman; 11-28-2018 at 03:23 AM. Reason: increased description
Old 11-28-2018, 09:26 AM
PorscheAddict
Rennlist Member

Received 124 Likes on 77 Posts

Hard to tell based on the video, but it looks like it is just looser throughout the range of motion rather than having play?
Old 11-28-2018, 12:58 PM
redvancitycayman
Rennlist Member

Received 18 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by PorscheAddict
Hard to tell based on the video, but it looks like it is just looser throughout the range of motion rather than having play?
Is this normal given the amount of time that I've had it on the car and the miles I've driven? I've only driven about 250 miles and had these on the car for a month.. The significant difference in the ability to move the ball joint throughout its range of motion is just something that worries me.
Old 11-28-2018, 01:20 PM
PorscheAddict
Rennlist Member

Received 124 Likes on 77 Posts

250 miles would not wear any joint out (absent an accident or something like that), so it's possible they're all looser than OEM. I would be more worried about actual play, where it has no resistance at all until a certain point, than having less resistance throughout the range. I don't have ER parts, so can't help there unfortunately. One of my inner sphericals is a bit tighter than the other, though, with no ill effect thus far.

Quick Reply: Is this normal for spherical bearing ball joint?