Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help me understand: Another thread about deep sumps, aos, and underdrive pulleys

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2018, 02:22 PM
MyNameIdeasWereT
Pro

Received 81 Likes on 58 Posts
Default Help me understand: Another thread about deep sumps, aos, and underdrive pulleys

I've spent hours reading numerous threads about what is "needed," but I'm still a little lost. I'm asking these questions because from my experience, forums get people excited about throwing money at their cars. Upgrade this, upgrade that, if you don't upgrade these parts the engine will fail. But in reality, the car is well engineered and perfectly capable stock. Many of the common upgrades aren't actually needed and the engine is at the same level of risk with or without them. I wish to carefully invest my money into the longevity this car and not just throw every part at it.

My 2008 987S is going to see track days and autocross, but nothing more than 20 minute un-timed track sessions; I'm out to have fun and not to race. I will usually be running on some fairly sticky tires, so more significant Gs are expected.

It seems like the X51 oil pan is an absolute must. I like the idea of the baffles more than just increasing volume with a spacer.
What all is actually needed? Just the oil pan? Do I need an oil pump that sits lower too?

Is the accusump really necessary for my intended driving?

The motorsport AOS... Absolute necessity? Strongly recommended? Or only replace it if the stock part fails?

I've read a few posts about running a larger oil filter, is it worth it?

Other brands and parts I should consider?

I've also read a lot of mixed reviews on underdrive pulleys and what size belt to run with it. I don't care about the performance benefit, but want to save the power steering pump if that's a concern. I found a lot of posts where people had issues after installing an underdrive pulley, so I'm wondering if stock is best. I plan to replace the belt soon and I'll do an underdrive pulley at the same time if it truly is a worthwhile upgrade.

Thanks in advance for your knowledge and help!
Old 10-23-2018, 07:00 PM
yachtfund
Advanced

Received 27 Likes on 9 Posts

This is something I want to know as well. Also have a 2008 S which is a street car now and is stock barring a cat back exhaust and I'm wearing out the not sticky tires that came with it for now. I plan to track it but not before I have an understanding of what needs to be done to prevent any issues. I've read about deep sump oil pan and AOS as well as adding a third radiator. I really have the same questions. Looking forward to hearing from people who have experience with tracking 987.1s
Old 10-25-2018, 10:41 AM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,389 Likes on 806 Posts

literally all of it.

3rd rad, deep sump with vertical and horizontal baffles, no bypass filter adapter, powersteering cooler, motorsport AOS, potentially tranny cooler, etc. If you are only doing relaxed 20 min sessions, then you may not need this, but then whats the point of being out there. If you are even the least bit competitive you will get your timing gear out and start trying to improve.

also, get ready to run XP9 oil at $180 per change and oh yeah, those changes should happen every 700 miles or so.
Old 10-25-2018, 12:20 PM
Bill Lehman
Three Wheelin'

Received 230 Likes on 134 Posts

Start with deep sump, I used Mantis. When the AOS fails, replace it with the Motorsport version. If you drive hard enough you will need a power steering cooler.
Old 10-25-2018, 01:39 PM
MyNameIdeasWereT
Pro

Thanks for the suggestions. I'm trying to make a list of what I should replace before my first track day (proper oil lubrication is my biggest fear) vs. what I can just replace once it fails or is determined necessary.

Originally Posted by Quadcammer
literally all of it.

3rd rad, deep sump with vertical and horizontal baffles, no bypass filter adapter, powersteering cooler, motorsport AOS, potentially tranny cooler, etc. If you are only doing relaxed 20 min sessions, then you may not need this, but then whats the point of being out there. If you are even the least bit competitive you will get your timing gear out and start trying to improve.

also, get ready to run XP9 oil at $180 per change and oh yeah, those changes should happen every 700 miles or so.
What's the no bypass filter adapter?

I'm not doing relaxed 20 minute sessions, I'm usually out there pushing the car to its limits and enjoying myself. What I meant was: I'm willing to pit after 10 or 15 minutes if the car needs it; then I'll know what additional parts to buy to stay out there longer the next time. It's not like I'll be loosing points or positions by not being on the track.

In past track cars, I've run Mobile 1, LiquiMoly, and German Castrol Edge. I always change it fresh before a driving event. But what are the benefits of XP9?

Going with a larger oil filter, what's the suggested size? I can't find details on this anywhere, just that people run larger filters.

Originally Posted by Bill Lehman
Start with deep sump, I used Mantis. When the AOS fails, replace it with the Motorsport version. If you drive hard enough you will need a power steering cooler.
Is it common to extend the oil pump with these deep sump kits, or leave that stock?
Old 10-25-2018, 03:42 PM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Originally Posted by MyNameIdeasWereT
Thanks for the suggestions. I'm trying to make a list of what I should replace before my first track day (proper oil lubrication is my biggest fear) vs. what I can just replace once it fails or is determined necessary.

What's the no bypass filter adapter?

I'm not doing relaxed 20 minute sessions, I'm usually out there pushing the car to its limits and enjoying myself. What I meant was: I'm willing to pit after 10 or 15 minutes if the car needs it; then I'll know what additional parts to buy to stay out there longer the next time. It's not like I'll be loosing points or positions by not being on the track.

In past track cars, I've run Mobile 1, LiquiMoly, and German Castrol Edge. I always change it fresh before a driving event. But what are the benefits of XP9?

Going with a larger oil filter, what's the suggested size? I can't find details on this anywhere, just that people run larger filters.

Is it common to extend the oil pump with these deep sump kits, or leave that stock?
The stock filter canister has a bypass spring, so above x psi, the filter bypasses dirty oil. There are rumors that these can stick open also giving you basically no filtration. LN Engineering makes a billet filter adapter so that you can run non bypass metal filters such as Wix designed for a small block chevy. These filters are generally smaller but have excellent filtration. I run the larger Wix 51522 but clearance is an issue as its a long filter.

XP9 was supposedly developed for this motor in the sense that it doesn't shear or breakdown at the high temps these cars run and is good at resisting foaming, which is another issue with the scavenge pumps and return line arrangements in this motor. Its required by LN Engineering for track use and they say its required anytime you put a helmet on while driving your m96/7 powered car. Excessive....maybe.

The deep sump kits all extend the pickup tube with a spacer. ABSOLUTELY use this.

Old 10-25-2018, 04:20 PM
MyNameIdeasWereT
Pro

Any preferences for deep sumps? The Mantis Sport kit seems to be highly praised on this forum, I also like they theirs is track tested. They have a kit that adds 1.2L and 2.0L. Any preference there?

Is it advisable to pair the Mantis deep sump with the baffles from the X51, or are the stock baffles sufficient with the added volume?

As for underdrive pulleys, is there much of a difference between all the brands?
Old 10-25-2018, 05:32 PM
Quadcammer
Race Director

I have the LN kit, others run mantis. As long as it has a horizontal baffle, I don't think there is much difference regardless of the claims.

LN uses x51 style, Mantis uses stock. I've found they all require some trimming to install, which is a pain.

underdrives are basically all the same. only thing to avoid is units that have too little structure in the center of the pulley as some have been known to crack. I think whoever made those has changed the design though.
Old 10-25-2018, 06:10 PM
91K-Man

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Deep Sump

Mantissport Deep sump
Old 10-26-2018, 09:37 AM
MyNameIdeasWereT
Pro

How necessary would you guys consider the accusump with a deep sump?
Some reviews say it's over kill, some say it's another part to fail, some say they wouldn't track without it.

This seems like a good deal to pounce on if it's really needed: https://rennlist.com/forums/parts-ma...and-gauge.html
Can anyone weigh in on what else would be needed for installing it? I'm just starting my research into this accusump territory...
Old 10-26-2018, 10:24 AM
Quadcammer
Race Director

I don't think accusump is worth the hassle. Its a real pain.
Old 10-26-2018, 12:29 PM
PorscheAddict
Rennlist Member

Received 124 Likes on 77 Posts

Accusump for occasional 20 min sessions seems like major overkill. Nice to have, but then again so is a DFI engine if you're that paranoid
Old 10-26-2018, 02:09 PM
Bill Lehman
Three Wheelin'

Received 230 Likes on 134 Posts

[QUOTE=MyNameIdeasWereT;15386355]Any preferences for deep sumps? The Mantis Sport kit seems to be highly praised on this forum, I also like they theirs is track tested. They have a kit that adds 1.2L and 2.0L. Any preference there?

I had the old Mantis version and it added 2.0 l. That car had 124 track days on it when I sold it and the new owner has probably added at least 30 more.
Old 10-26-2018, 02:36 PM
ekam
Drifting

Received 507 Likes on 324 Posts

Originally Posted by 91K-Man

Mantissport Deep sump
All the machining marks are not so attractive...
Old 10-27-2018, 06:17 AM
fhp911
Rennlist Member

Received 106 Likes on 35 Posts

My opinion; do NOTHING.

You will not harm your engine by driving it in DE events completely stock.

I do suggest track brake fluid and pads. Otherwise leave it alone and find something else to do with your money.

Quick Reply: Help me understand: Another thread about deep sumps, aos, and underdrive pulleys