Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

06 Boxster help

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2018, 10:25 PM
cbaker23
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 06 Boxster help

Hello! This is my first post on here; I just got a 2006 Boxster, BASE that I'm wanting to modify.

Firstly, I want to make it louder. I love the exhaust note, but as it gets higher in the RPM range it doesnt sound as good as id like. Plus, louder is ALWAYS better. Any ideas of how to do that? I want to do it as cheap as possible.

Further, the Boxster I got is a victim of the dreaded "broken coil spring", so I am in need of some new springs. Virtually all the springs I have found aftermarket are lowering springs. I'm not opposed to it, but don't know if I'd need new struts, camber kits, etc with them as well. Anyone have any brand preferences or recommendations and if so, why? I'm trying to get a feel for what all I would need to get this done.

Thanks in advance!
CJ
Old 10-15-2018, 12:06 PM
MyNameIdeasWereT
Pro

Received 81 Likes on 58 Posts

If you want a cheap exhaust purely for sound, and you don't mind drone, a muffler delete is the cheapest way to go... Keep the stock tips and you can swap the mufflers for a custom bent pipe for as little as $30. This wouldn't be performance oriented, but you'll probably get a bit more top end power without the restrictive muffler. Also a nice weight savings.

I built a muffler delete for my 3.4L and I love the sound. There is drone, which is not bad compared to some past cars I've owned, so it doesn't bother me. Keep in mind that yours will sound a bit different with the smaller engine.

Many lowering springs are designed to work with stock struts, and it'll ride just fine, though it'll accelerate the strut wear. But an optimal setup would use struts designed for lowering springs. If you have higher mileage, I would replace springs and struts at the same time. But if you have low mileage and can do the work yourself, you can save some money in the short term by just reusing your stock struts. You may need new strut bearings if those are worn.

If you're just going with a lowering spring drop, there's enough adjustability with the stock camber/toe arms to get you within factory alignment specs.

If you don't care about lowering, I have the stock springs/struts off my 2008 Boxster S that I'd be willing to part with. Springs are still assembled on the struts, only has 35k miles on them. No leaks and still riding smooth. If you're interested, PM me and I can send pictures. I'll be posting them to classifieds soon.
Old 10-17-2018, 12:14 AM
cbaker23
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would be all over the struts/ springs that you have if you have more photos. Let me know also what you'd want for them.
Old 10-17-2018, 08:17 AM
MyNameIdeasWereT
Pro

Received 81 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by cbaker23
I would be all over the struts/ springs that you have if you have more photos. Let me know also what you'd want for them.
PM'd

Quick Reply: 06 Boxster help