Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

dealer 'services'

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2018, 07:15 PM
jago
Rennlist Member

Received 91 Likes on 77 Posts
Default dealer 'services'

hi all
picking up a cpo 981 BGTS next week. woo!
attached are usual dealer services..
anything look worthwhile cost wise?
considering one of tire and wheel packages.
i'm a serial scuffer.
also it's out of town purchase so I will have to find out what are the conditions for local repair service.
thanks john
Attached Images  
Old 10-06-2018, 08:51 PM
DBH
Three Wheelin'

Received 456 Likes on 308 Posts

You can get most of those "services" done locally at a better price and (probably) quality. Local venders are also easier to chase down if there's any issues. Tire/wheel insurance is probably a good idea if you're a tire/wheel abuser.
Old 10-06-2018, 08:54 PM
Jim137a
Burning Brakes

Received 127 Likes on 90 Posts

Looks like a very nice build. I went to their website and pulled the build sheet see the attached:

https://vinanalytics.com/car/WP0CB2A84GS140090/

Regarding the dealer add ons for paint protection and window tinting I’d pass. The reason i say that is the car has ~ 20K miles on it and the paint probably isn’t perfect and probably has a few stone chips etc - covering imperfections with PPF isn’t a good idea. Also, most of the dealer tint work and PPF work I’ve seen isn’t really up to par.

If i were you take it to a good detail shop local to you and have them evaluate the paint and possibly do a touch up and paint correction and then do the PPF if you want to.

Also, you stated you’re a “ serial wheel / tire scuffer “ - based on that I’d see if a Porsche dealer local to you will sell you a tire / wheel protection plan..

I find it’s always best to deal locally for items such as this - you’d have very little recourse if the dealer in NC did a poor tint or PPF JOB.
Old 10-06-2018, 09:14 PM
jago
Rennlist Member

Received 91 Likes on 77 Posts

thanks for the replies . i will post an official 'intro' thread soon with related story about picking this particular car, maybe once i pick her up..
meantime re the post i think i'll just bring it home and consider the wheel and tire locally.
cheers
Old 10-07-2018, 12:39 PM
ALE
Rennlist Member

Received 60 Likes on 32 Posts

First- congratulations!
Second - these prices are generally negotiable.
Old 10-07-2018, 10:13 PM
BryanCO
Drifting

Received 211 Likes on 151 Posts

Congrats on the BGTS.

I generally get PPF and tint. Prices are in the ballpark but only if the install is custom (as opposed to a pre-cut kit).

As others have stated, I would have the items completed locally.
Old 10-10-2018, 12:48 PM
storii
Rennlist Member

Received 109 Likes on 69 Posts

Regarding the tire/wheel protection plan, how much tread do the tires have left? If those are to be replaced in a year or so, paying for the plan may not be worth it. The new set of tires are around $1,200 and if you buy from Tire Rack, they come with their road hazard protection for free. Curb rash repair is typically $200 or so per wheel.

Quick Reply: dealer 'services'