Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Converting an EFI 2.9L 987.2 into a DFI 3.8L 987.2...AGAIN!

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2022, 05:10 PM
sectachrome
Rennlist Member

Received 143 Likes on 100 Posts

Originally Posted by Kramykram
I know this is an old thread, and I hate to dig up the past. But this is my first Boxster, but not my first Porsche. Seeing this thread and the fact that 3.8 will bolt to my 6MT is fantastic. I do have the 2.9efi. But I wish I had drove more models before my purchase. But the 2.9L seems to of been one of the engines with the least problems and dirt cheap to replace with a used one from what I’ve searched. But this is a project I would take on myself. Seeing that it can be done is awesome. I couldn’t imagine this little car with that kinda of NA hp. I have seen others have did there own swaps. How detailed is the wiring if. I know how to read schematics, Just in a higher voltage ac/dc scale. I know you guys are in business to make money. But just curious. Fabbing mounts is easy, buying the wiring harness doesn’t seem to difficult to find these days since time has passed and these cars have been wrecked.
With the help of some wiring partners we have found a way to basically update the engine control of the car and replace the existing ECU with the new Siemens ECU and then code the entire car as a 987.2 3.4L so that every single thing works as intended from the factory. The car thinks it's a 3.4L 987.2 and then we custom tune the engine software for the larger 3.8L engine.
​​​​​​​
Sounds a little more involved than being able to read schematics. BGB charges $7500 for this part of the conversion alone so I'm guessing its not trivial.
Old 04-26-2022, 05:56 PM
Kramykram
8th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

[QUOTE=sectachrome;18109969]
Sounds a little more involved than being able to read schematics. BGB charges $7500 for this part of the conversion alone so I'm guessing its not trivial.[/QUOTE
That I understand. Didn’t realize I was going to have to break down the whole process. To find the proper pin outs mate the the dfi system in the dmu. I’m am guessing here. But I am gathering that’s where a lot of the time is going thru schematics between both systems to find what’s needed for everything to work.
Old 04-26-2022, 05:58 PM
Kramykram
8th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by sectachrome
Sounds a little more involved than being able to read schematics. BGB charges $7500 for this part of the conversion alone so I'm guessing its not trivial.
I agree with you fully. They charge that price for a reason. It’s very tedious and time consuming process I am sure.

Quick Reply: Converting an EFI 2.9L 987.2 into a DFI 3.8L 987.2...AGAIN!