Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The fault that the Porsche dealership cant solve

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2018, 11:26 AM
gasgas249uk
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy The fault that the Porsche dealership cant solve

Id really really appreciate your help with this problem.

My 987 2.7 2007 has a bad misfire on all cylinders . Its now been into Porsche and they've confirmed its on all cylinders intermittently.
It runs well for 1 minute then the missfire starts and cylinders cut out. Porsche have stated it is not mechanical but electric , but they are stumped. I would really really appreciate your help.

So far the following items have been changed - 6 New coils and plugs ,2 New valve solenoids,New air filter,New shell v force fuel,New air mass sensor.

Please please given me any ideas as it is getting desperate and the car has been out of action for all Summer . Thank you
Old 08-17-2018, 03:28 PM
Rick-A-Shay
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Well, the short answer is sometimes a given shop just cannot find a solution. A fresh set of brains needs to analyze the issues whether its another Porsche dealer OR an experienced indy. I used to work in CR for an auto mfgr. many years ago and have seen this issue before.......... Good Luck!
Old 08-18-2018, 09:03 AM
dgmark
Rennlist Member

Received 88 Likes on 50 Posts

The problem can only be diagnosed when it is acting up, to solve it I would start by checking the ecu power and grounds if they are ok then check the injector and coil outputs at the ecu with an oscilloscope. If all is ok then the ecu is not the problem. Next do the same tests at the injectors and coils. you need to isolate the problem to a component or the wire harness. Also make shure the grounds at the engine are all clean and tight. If they have ruled out anything mechanical, I would still disconnect the cam advance solenoids an over advanced cam can cause misfires on multiple cylinders at idle.
You really need to get the car to the right Mechanic.
Old 08-20-2018, 09:16 AM
jscott82
Drifting

Received 383 Likes on 251 Posts

You say runs fine for 1min then starts misfiring? Almost sounds like a temperature problem. Have they checked the water pump? With 0 water flowing, I'm not sure if you would see the temp issues on the gauge, but the heads could be over heating... Although 1 minute seems too quick.,.
Old 08-20-2018, 09:43 AM
michaelo
Racer

Received 66 Likes on 34 Posts

Get it to another shop ASAP.
Old 08-20-2018, 09:04 PM
Brian C in Az
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Check the battery connections, then ALL grounds. Find someone with the same car and try an ECU swap. See if their car misfires with your ECU and visa versa. Electronic intermittent problems are the hardest problems to diagnose and fix

Quick Reply: The fault that the Porsche dealership cant solve