Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Question on Brakes - Do I need to replace sensors every time?

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2018, 10:22 AM
Tidybuoy
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Tom R.
You have a Porsche, not a cheap car. Don't be a cheapskate and skimp on something as cheap as a sensor. You should be ashamed.
I'm anything but a cheapskate. I just spent $2,700 on Girodiscs, pads, and fluid. It was just a question as I want to do this right and I thought we were allowed to ask questions here.
Old 08-20-2018, 10:53 AM
PorscheAddict
Rennlist Member

Received 124 Likes on 77 Posts

You have a Porsche, not a cheap car. Don't be a cheapskate and skimp on something as cheap as a sensor. You should be ashamed. Bull****! I read those posts and laugh. I change my tires from summer to winter and vice versa. I check the wear two times a year doing that, and every time I put the track tires on. The sensors on my DD 1 series were twisted together and zip tied for two years, 3 sets of pads. Then I found a set on eBay for $11. Yes I put inferior parts on my exotic. Ha. They are zip tied and should last a very long time.
Pretty misguided comment. Not wasting money on new sensors when the old ones work fine isn't being a cheapskate. Congratulations on spending as much as possible to get the same result.

Also, is your N/A 1 series your "exotic?"
Old 08-20-2018, 12:50 PM
Tidybuoy
Instructor

My pads and fluid won't be in until Thursday. Tonight, I will start prepping the car by getting it on stands and removing the wheels. At that time, I will take a look at the sensors as well as the spring clips that hold the pads in place. I bought pads for Cayman R, since they fit the 987.1 so I am assuming I will need the 997 type clips. However, according to the Suncoast website, some 987's already have the 997-smaller clips. Only way to tell is to measure and I will do that tonight or tomorrow. If the sensors look worn, I'll order new ones from Pelican and they should get here before the weekend.

Thanks for all the good advice!
Old 08-20-2018, 03:41 PM
Tom R.
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 114 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by Tidybuoy
I'm anything but a cheapskate. I just spent $2,700 on Girodiscs, pads, and fluid. It was just a question as I want to do this right and I thought we were allowed to ask questions here.
You missed the "Bull****" after that, which was aimed at the people that throw that nonsense out.

I am not the only one that twists the two wires together to complete the circuit so the light doesnt come on, and zip ties the sensor to an out of the way location.
Originally Posted by PorscheAddict
Pretty misguided comment. Not wasting money on new sensors when the old ones work fine isn't being a cheapskate. Congratulations on spending as much as possible to get the same result.

Also, is your N/A 1 series your "exotic?"
Edited - The 1er is my exotic, don't tell that to the nutswingers on that forum that it isn't and I wont tell the nutswingers here that our 987s is anything but an exotic. My other exotic is the 944S with 170k on the clock, and the clock doesnt work. Why spend money on an odometer when the gas gauge works fine?
Old 08-20-2018, 03:48 PM
venom51
Burning Brakes

Received 231 Likes on 136 Posts

You missed the "Bull****" after that, which was aimed at the people that throw that nonsense out.

I am not the only one that twists the two wires together to complete the circuit so the light doesnt come on, and zip ties the sensor to an out of the way location.
No. The 1er is not my exotic. That would be the 944S with 170k on the clock, and the clock doesnt work. Why spend money on an odometer when the gas gauge works fine?
You forgot the "sarcasm" smiley. This is the internet. Clearly no one on the internet can recognize sarcasm if you forget the appropriate smiley.
Old 08-20-2018, 03:51 PM
Tom R.
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by venom51
You forgot the "sarcasm" smiley. This is the internet. Clearly no one on the internet can recognize sarcasm if you forget the appropriate smiley.
Ooof! my bad. Apologies (note no smiley).
Old 08-20-2018, 03:54 PM
venom51
Burning Brakes

Ooof! my bad. Apologies.
Zis is a board dedicated to zee fine German automobile. No humor will be tolerated. Only serious discussion.

How many Germans does it take to change a light bulb....?

None if it was a German light bulb with superior engineering.
Old 08-20-2018, 04:01 PM
PorscheAddict
Rennlist Member

Edited - The 1er is my exotic, don't tell that to the nutswingers on that forum that it isn't and I wont tell the nutswingers here that our 987s is anything but an exotic. My other exotic is the 944S with 170k on the clock, and the clock doesnt work. Why spend money on an odometer when the gas gauge works fine?
D'oh, totally did not catch the sarcasm, my bad.
Old 08-20-2018, 04:05 PM
Tom R.
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by PorscheAddict
D'oh, totally did not catch the sarcasm, my bad.
I shouldnt type after a certain hour. Too big a gap between the brain and the fingers. I think everyone here is on the same page. If you check your brakes a few times a year skip the nannies. If you think your car is something exotic and not having $20 worth of wires to tell you the obvious is necessary to retain its value, install the nannies.
Old 08-20-2018, 04:14 PM
venom51
Burning Brakes

The second wash of every month is a wheels off wash for me on all our stuff so I always check pad wear, look for play in ball joints or bearings and stuff like that while they are off. My CDO may be a little out of control.
Old 08-20-2018, 05:16 PM
PorscheAddict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by venom51
The second wash of every month is a wheels off wash for me on all our stuff so I always check pad wear, look for play in ball joints or bearings and stuff like that while they are off. My CDO may be a little out of control.
Woah, I feel like a slacker now. I check brakes every wash, but only ball joints/bearings etc. at pad changes (which is a few times per year bc track). Touch up paint on the bolts and chassis makes checking bolt movement a breeze, though.
Old 08-20-2018, 10:38 PM
Tidybuoy
Instructor

I re-read your post and I stand corrected. I missed the sarcasim and probably read too fast, my bad.

I was planning on taking a look at my current sensors tonight but alas, I'm still at work and will probably be here for a couple of hours. That said, I'm sure I won't feel like doing anything more than watching TV.
Old 08-21-2018, 02:04 PM
Tidybuoy
Instructor

I ended up ordering the sensors. They were only $10 each for Sebro brand. Porsche brand were $40+. Hopefully, the original sensors are still good and I can just pack away the new ones until I really need them. Unfortunately, I found about $300 worth of other stuff I don't really need (i.e., jack stands, other tools).
Old 08-21-2018, 02:21 PM
venom51
Burning Brakes

I ended up ordering the sensors. They were only $10 each for Sebro brand. Porsche brand were $40+. Hopefully, the original sensors are still good and I can just pack away the new ones until I really need them. Unfortunately, I found about $300 worth of other stuff I don't really need (i.e., jack stands, other tools).
Money spent on tools is almost never wasted money.
Old 08-21-2018, 02:44 PM
Tom R.
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

When we moved out of NY to CO, to a house with a garage I could work in I started DIYs. I took some of the money I saved in labor and bought a tool to make the job easier. My daughter will inherit a bunch of mid quality tools.

For $20 why not. Pretty sure Sebro is a "real" brand. I go the no names for my "exotic" 1 series for $11. If I post that I put $5.50 sensors on the BMW forum i will get flack from the purists. Oh well.

Quick Reply: Question on Brakes - Do I need to replace sensors every time?