Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

IPD Comp kit on 987.1 CS - CEL/running poorly

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2018, 12:28 PM
rpmillie
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default IPD Comp kit on 987.1 CS - CEL/running poorly

2008 Cayman S, Manual, 39,500 miles, bone stock, all maintenance up to date, never wrecked, super clean.

I have owned this car for a full year now and like it so much that i decided to keep it and play with it. I have researched many options and watched tons of videos. RENN, P9, PCA, etc.

After much deliberation, I decided to roll the dice with a grand for the IPD comp kit now and then follow with Soul PP full exhaust and tune. Perhaps backwards from the ideal upgrade sequence but the IPD kit is a straight forward bolt on, not as much work or money as full exhaust swap.
I bought the kit 3 weeks ago but just installed it last night. I moved slow and deliberate, triple checking everything. ZERO chance that I left something undone or did anything other than follow the directions. All of the connections are fully on, in place, and tight. The small vac line is plugged with the plastic bit and the longer vent hose is plugged with the aluminum bit.

From the very first engine start (post-install) the engine is running horrible. Idles poorly, engine is missing, will not go above 30 mph, will not go above ~ 3,000 rpm. Even in neutral, mashing the throttle to the floor, only yields about 2800-3000 rpm.

NOTE: Prior to kit installation (24 hrs before install), I pulled the engine cover and let the car cool down from the ride home from work. After 2 hours, pressured washed the top of the engine like i have done twice before. Generally not a big deal, just knock all the dust off with just plain water. Used a fan to help dry the engine for about an hour after and then locked it up tight for the night. Did not restart the car after the wash and before the kit install. In the past, would start the car within an hour after the engine wash to heat it up...help dry. I did not do that this time. It dried "naturally". Have no idea if this has anything to do with my current issue but wanted to mention it,

Anyone with similar experiences? All comments, suggestions and advice is greatly appreciated.

Ron Milliet
Long Beach MS
Old 08-10-2018, 02:18 PM
SpyderSenseOC
Rennlist Member

Received 1,338 Likes on 801 Posts

Originally Posted by rpmillie
2008 Cayman S, Manual, 39,500 miles, bone stock, all maintenance up to date, never wrecked, super clean.

I have owned this car for a full year now and like it so much that i decided to keep it and play with it. I have researched many options and watched tons of videos. RENN, P9, PCA, etc.

After much deliberation, I decided to roll the dice with a grand for the IPD comp kit now and then follow with Soul PP full exhaust and tune. Perhaps backwards from the ideal upgrade sequence but the IPD kit is a straight forward bolt on, not as much work or money as full exhaust swap.
I bought the kit 3 weeks ago but just installed it last night. I moved slow and deliberate, triple checking everything. ZERO chance that I left something undone or did anything other than follow the directions. All of the connections are fully on, in place, and tight. The small vac line is plugged with the plastic bit and the longer vent hose is plugged with the aluminum bit.

From the very first engine start (post-install) the engine is running horrible. Idles poorly, engine is missing, will not go above 30 mph, will not go above ~ 3,000 rpm. Even in neutral, mashing the throttle to the floor, only yields about 2800-3000 rpm.

NOTE: Prior to kit installation (24 hrs before install), I pulled the engine cover and let the car cool down from the ride home from work. After 2 hours, pressured washed the top of the engine like i have done twice before. Generally not a big deal, just knock all the dust off with just plain water. Used a fan to help dry the engine for about an hour after and then locked it up tight for the night. Did not restart the car after the wash and before the kit install. In the past, would start the car within an hour after the engine wash to heat it up...help dry. I did not do that this time. It dried "naturally". Have no idea if this has anything to do with my current issue but wanted to mention it,

Anyone with similar experiences? All comments, suggestions and advice is greatly appreciated.

Ron Milliet
Long Beach MS
That sucks. Good luck finding the culprit.

I know I'll get flamed but this is exactly why I keep my cars mechanically stock engine-wise. Just not worth the hassles. And I feel if someone is going to run into issues like these, it's yours truly.
Old 08-11-2018, 05:10 PM
Reborn996
Pro

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Did you do a throttle body reset?
Old 08-12-2018, 04:01 PM
rpmillie
Intermediate

TB Reset? Don't know what this is or how to do it. Please provide some details and will give it a shot.

Latest Status:
The new throttle body included in the IPD Comp kit is DOA. With this TB connected, P0638 is a persistent code that returns immediately after clearing. The code returns without even starting the engine. The throttle plate is stuck and will not open. The plate does not move when the accelerator pedal is pressed, with key on, engine off. The plate should move with the key in the run position, engine off. I reconnected my stock TB, code cleared and the plate moves as expected.

On the bench, with both TBs side by side, the stock plate will easily move back and forth with your fingers. The new TB acts jammed, will not move.

I bought this kit directly from Michael at IPD. I will give them a call in the morning to sort out getting a replacement.

Enjoy your Sunday.

--Ron
Long Beach MS
Old 08-27-2018, 05:12 PM
rpmillie
Intermediate

Just closing the loop on this thread. Thank you for posts, emails, and IMs on this topic.

RESULT: The GT3 TB included in the IPD comp kit was DOA. Defective right out of the box. The most obvious sign/symptom was the inability to manually move the throttle plate. Greg at IPD was fantastic. One phone call and after about 5 mins, a new TB was on its way. Greg included a pre-addressed and pre-paid UPS label that i used to return the defective part.

IMPRESSION: With the new part installed, the engine started right away. No CELs, no spit, no sputter, no cough, no wheez. That is the good news. Unfortunately, there was also: no difference. If I had not installed the part myself, I would not know the kit was installed. After 250 miles, no difference in acceleration, no difference in throttle response, no difference in sound. Not having access to a dyno, I decided to do a series of before and after rolling sprints. 2nd gear only, 20 mph per cruise control, full throttle to 65 mph per the speed limit gong on dash. Just using a stop watch measured 10 sprints each, before and after: Before 6.55s and (250 miles) After 6.51s. 4/100th of a second should be well within any margin of error for this sort of test. Frustrated by lack of progress, I pulled the engine cover and went back over every detail of the simple install. I also did a DME reset by way of battery disconnect. I also used Durametric to look for any codes or anomalies that might be suspect, none found.

NOTE: 2008 Cayman S, bone stock, 40,000 miles with recent major service performed. My car does not have PSAM, PSE, or Sport Chrono. 6sp manual.

I must make a quick decision to keep or return the kit. I am a little outside the 30 day window but feel like Greg would be fair since the time I lost dealing with DOA TB unit. I do plan on eventually replacing headers and exhaust.

Comments, suggestions, and advice all appreciated.

Ron Milliet
Long Beach MS
Old 08-27-2018, 05:31 PM
ekam
Drifting

Received 507 Likes on 324 Posts

It's widely known that the IPD plenum/GT3 TB will provide no noticeable improvement if your car is bone stock without any tuning done. The exhaust manifolds are the most restrictive part on these cars and you should have started from there first.

The plenum should be the last piece of the hardware puzzle, prior to a custom tune.
Old 08-27-2018, 09:21 PM
daylorb
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by ekam
It's widely known that the IPD plenum/GT3 TB will provide no noticeable improvement if your car is bone stock without any tuning done. The exhaust manifolds are the most restrictive part on these cars and you should have started from there first.

The plenum should be the last piece of the hardware puzzle, prior to a custom tune.
I have also been told that even with a tune there is no improvement. I decided against it for that reason. I'm no expert on this, but can't find a lot of evidence suggesting otherwise.
Old 09-03-2018, 10:18 AM
FireCayman
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have recently installed a TB/plenum combo after adding a cat back exhaust with no secondary catalytic converters and under-drive pulley.

I have not really felt any difference at all. But maybe reading all of these post and treads has led me to believe it is a pointless modification without a proper tune.

And i love seeing the P1095 error code come on and off anytime it wants. Contemplating putting it up for sale and just buying some race headers and a tune.

To those who have installed and went back to stock did a tune help at all or is it snake oil?
Old 09-03-2018, 11:32 AM
Joe Henley
Advanced

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Where's the constraint

Think of this as a fluids problem (which it really, kinda, is). There's a pump with an inlet pipe and an outlet pipe. The pump can handle 2.5 gallons/min, the inlet 2.0, and the outlet 1.5. The max system output will only be 1.5 g/m.

If you only replace the inlet with a pipe which can handle 3.0, you get nothing in return. If you only replace the outlet with a pipe which can handle 3.0, you get an increase only to 2.0. The trick is replace replace both the inlet and outlet pipes with 3.0, and to enhance the pump (new tune for the ECU) to 3.0. Now the max system output is 3.0.

Obviously this is an over-simplification, but the analogy is apt. And while this explanation doesn't fit all the results we see in this, and other, blogs, it does describe a very large number of them.

Joe Henley

Quick Reply: IPD Comp kit on 987.1 CS - CEL/running poorly