Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is this hood resprayed?

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2018, 12:51 PM
CaymanSinAR
Rennlist Member

Received 635 Likes on 402 Posts

My vote is someone did a paint correction on the hood to remove swirl marks or other small imperfections. Said person probably realized it was a lot of work and decided not to do the rest of the car.
Old 07-25-2018, 12:52 PM
CaymanSinAR
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Scooby921
Here's another he took on the same day...

https://www.instagram.com/p/Bin4AQWA..._web_copy_link
Want.

Want.

Want.

Seriously. Gimme.
Old 07-25-2018, 12:56 PM
Koturbo1
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I can tell you from experience with that color that the fenders and hood often look slightly different in color than the urethane bumper especially if you have on polarized sunglasses. I thought mine had been resprayed as well. Not saying its right wrong good or bad, but the dark blues seem to have a slight difference in hue from metal to urethane.
Old 07-25-2018, 01:10 PM
QXTC
Track Day

Thanks, Koturbo—that’s interesting. I guess I will have to wear my shades
Old 07-25-2018, 01:17 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 807 Likes on 469 Posts

If the car has accident history already I’m not sure a respray on the hood would matter since it likely has some type of paintwork to the rear as well. Could be that when the work was done to the rear the previous owner asked the shop to respray the hood to address some rock chips.

Did the rest of the PPI check out?
Old 07-25-2018, 01:27 PM
QXTC
Track Day

Marine Blue, thank you—largely yes. I mean I identified work that needs to be done and negotiated accordingly (tires, sagging headliner, sticky radio buttons, a 1/2” upholstery tear to the seat on the butt where someone maybe had someting sharp in their pocket—this seems like it could be tricky and a few hundred $ at an interior shop especially in stone gray). Good rev report, drives and shifts well. But all in all checked out fine. The paint thing is just what I understand least.
Old 07-25-2018, 06:06 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,872 Likes on 1,902 Posts

I would put zero faith in someone's claim of a respray based on sight alone, unless its so bad that it's patently obvious. If so, the PPI guy should be confidently saying it's a respray.

Have a high end paint meter put on it at various locations all over the hood and see how consistent the paint depth is, and also compare it to the roof and trunk panels. Also, if it was respray there's almost sure to be some overspray on the underside of the hood as well.
Old 07-25-2018, 06:08 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Originally Posted by CaymanSinAR
My vote is someone did a paint correction on the hood to remove swirl marks or other small imperfections. Said person probably realized it was a lot of work and decided not to do the rest of the car.
Could very well be. I bought a left over Cayman from a dealer with some paint issues, and my detailer, after taking paint depths all over the car, concluded that someone had attempted to remove hard water stains and was too aggressive on the hood. But if the car's been resprayed, you'll most likely see the opposite. Higher depth on the hood.
Old 07-25-2018, 06:21 PM
QXTC
Track Day

Thank you. Archimedes. In my lurking I have seen you weigh in on cayman vs 911 threads and while I hope I am not reopening that question I would say I appreciated reading your take

If I can continue to ask elementary questions, if it’s a respray that isn’t visible by sight, why should I care, and what sort of reduction in price would be appropriate?
Old 07-25-2018, 07:18 PM
CaymanSinAR
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by QXTC

If I can continue to ask elementary questions, if it’s a respray that isn’t visible by sight, why should I care, and what sort of reduction in price would be appropriate?
You shouldn't. And none. Provided it is not from an accident. I'd consider it a benefit.

The first owner of my car used it used it as a 50 mile daily commuter on the interstate in Phoenix. As a result the hood has some... what I would call sandblasting. And a few rock chips. I would LOVE for the dealer to have had it resprayed before I bought it. Would have made the car perfect. Instead I did a paint correction and will live with the small imperfections. Made me not feel bad at all about taking cross country trips.
Old 07-25-2018, 09:01 PM
wizee
Rennlist Member

Received 825 Likes on 452 Posts

You shouldn't. And none. Provided it is not from an accident. I'd consider it a benefit.

The first owner of my car used it used it as a 50 mile daily commuter on the interstate in Phoenix. As a result the hood has some... what I would call sandblasting. And a few rock chips. I would LOVE for the dealer to have had it resprayed before I bought it. Would have made the car perfect. Instead I did a paint correction and will live with the small imperfections. Made me not feel bad at all about taking cross country trips.
Agreed. Provided it’s not because of an accident, a good quality repainted hood is worth more than a stone chipped and sand blasted one.
Old 07-25-2018, 09:31 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

I agree with the above. A respray wouldn’t bother me assuming it wasn’t a result of an accident and the work was done well.
Old 07-25-2018, 10:47 PM
WAILN6
Racer

Received 99 Likes on 65 Posts

In my opinion, its very difficult to get a respray to equal factory quality. Especially if you get down into the primer territory. New rock chips always seem to be bigger than on factory paint.
Old 07-25-2018, 11:08 PM
bkrantz
Rennlist Member

Received 1,049 Likes on 633 Posts

Yes. My midnight blue Boxster S showed the same tiny spot sand blasting. Even after Dr. Colorchip and polish and wax, it was very visible from closer than 10 feet.

If the car in question can be confirmed to have no front damage repaired, and the color match looks good by eye, I would not worry about it.
Old 07-26-2018, 12:26 AM
CaymanSinAR
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by bkrantz
Yes. My midnight blue Boxster S showed the same tiny spot sand blasting. Even after Dr. Colorchip and polish and wax, it was very visible from closer than 10 feet.
Yeah, I bet it is way worse on Midnight Blue. Mine is Agate, so you have to get be standing right on top of it to notice.

Quick Reply: Is this hood resprayed?