Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

987 2.7 dropping down to 3 cylinders

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2018, 11:11 AM
gasgas249uk
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 987 2.7 dropping down to 3 cylinders

Hi, I'm new to this forum. Im sorry for starting with a problem but thats life. I hope you can help me with my Cayman problem.

I have already done extensive forum searching , but am running out of light at the end of the tunnel .

Im in the Uk and have 2007 987 2.7 FPS History with 102,000 miles. A few weeks ago the EML came on. The OBDII code reader i have stated that there was a misfire on cylinders 1,2 and 3 as well as an intermittent misfire code.An independent Porsche dealer stated it was cylinder 3 causing the problem and changed the coil pack. The EML codes were cleared but reappeared after 5 minutes. He had stated that all packs might need changing so i decided to do this myself. I put all new coil packs on , made sure they were connected well and fitted new Bosch plugs. The old plugs looked fine. The old coil packs were rough. After the clearing the codes there was no improvement. It starts well and idles well on choke , but as soon as the choke comes off on idle and the engine warms, the EML light comes on with the same codes. I replaced the Solenoid Actuator Valve on that bank and also tried it on the other 4,5, and 6 bank with no improvement.

Ive cleared the codes and it starts well and if you play with the throttle revving it no EML and no codes appear.

***If you leave it idle , the idle is a little unsteady and the eml appears with misfire codes on all cylinders and also the intermittent misfire code. Also when the engine get warm it drops down onto 3 cylinders (not sure which 3) and it wont clear by revving it. If i switch the engine off and start it again , its fine for a while , until you ask it to idle when itll kick back onto 3 pots. It works on 6 or 3 cylinders , nothing else.

*** Without the EML on ,the engine is also flat with less power and doesnt shoot up the revs like it used to.Also when you drive the car over 4500rpm the eml comes on.

Yesterday I removed and cleaned the throttle body. Im going to clear the Air mass meter today. , but im sure that would display a code if faulty.

Any ideas folks ?. This is driving me crazy.
Thank you so much in advance

Last edited by gasgas249uk; 07-01-2018 at 03:18 PM. Reason: being polite

Quick Reply: 987 2.7 dropping down to 3 cylinders