Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What is the difference between the Cayman R suspension and X73?

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2018, 01:57 PM
Tidybuoy
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default What is the difference between the Cayman R suspension and X73?

What is the difference between the Cayman R suspension and X73?

I'm asking because I just installed the Cayman R struts & springs from Suncoast Porsche on my 2006 Cayman S and now I see posts on the X73. So. I went to the Suncoast Porsche website and see that the X73 is for sale for $1,550 which includes springs, struts, and sway bars. My Cayman R purchase was $2,450 and came with Struts & Springs. That's a pretty big price difference especially since one kit comes with sway bars.

I'm very happy with the Cayman R suspension but I definitely don't like the huge price difference if the kits are the same.

Lastly, the x73 kit comes with sway bars. Just curious, does anyone know what the optional sizes are for sway bars. I currently have stock 2006 Cayman S bars and would like to know what options I have. Currently, the ride is good but I would consider stiffer sway bars as I have had much improvement on past cars.

Thanks in advance for any insight.

Vern
Old 06-26-2018, 04:15 PM
Alanine
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I think the X73 kit you're referring to is for the 981 platform and not the 987. Regarding swaybars, I believe the Cayman R had a slightly stiffer rear swaybar than the base/S 987.2, to compensate for the LSD which came as standard.
Old 06-26-2018, 10:31 PM
GT4John
Racer

Received 27 Likes on 20 Posts

Yeah....X73 is 981. Can't help on the sway-bar options. Sorry.
Old 06-27-2018, 11:17 AM
Zeus993
Rennlist Member

Received 1,277 Likes on 590 Posts

It is my understanding that the suspension bits of the Cayman R / Spyder made it's way into the X73. Not sure about the absolute differences. I'm sure someone will chime in.
Old 06-28-2018, 12:12 AM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 807 Likes on 469 Posts

IIRC the X73 was never offered on the 987. Porsche created the bespoke suspension for the Spyder in 2010 and then used the same setup for the Cayman R. They were the only two models to have the lowered suspension without PASM. All the other 987 were offered with either standard suspension or PASM.
Old 06-28-2018, 02:26 AM
Tidybuoy
Instructor

What I find very confusing is that Porsche is selling two different Cayman R Suspension Packages; one is an upgrade for common 987.1 like mine and the other is for 981. Both packages are offered as an upgrade to the Cayman R Sport Suspension. One kit is struts/springs for $2,500 and the other is Struts/Springs/Sway Bars for $1,550. Why the $1,000 difference and why is the package with more equipment ($1,000) less)?

What I bought for $2,500: ($1,000 more than the 2nd option)
https://www.suncoastparts.com/product/9872CSPS.html
Looking for a better ride? Upgrade your suspension with factory parts. This conversion kit comes with shocks and springs from the new Cayman R, an extremely sporty suspension setup. This means stiff, short springs, and four shock absorbers tuned for hard compression and rebound. The body is 20 mm lower at the front and rear axle than that of a standard Cayman S. Ideal for 2006-2012 Cayman or Cayman S models with standard suspension. Cars with PASM will lose PASM functionality, and will see a minimal drop in ride height.

What is sold under 981 for $1,550: ($1,000 less than the 1st option and includes sway bars)
https://www.suncoastparts.com/product/C981CSS.html
Upgrade your suspension to the factory Sport Suspension, also known as the X73 kit. Reduces ride height and body roll, and offers a firmer ride. Comes with shocks, springs, and front/rear sway bars. Lowers the car by 20 mm. The ultimate upgrade! Fits 2013-2016 Cayman & Cayman S models with the standard suspension. Not suitable for cars with PASM suspension.
Old 06-28-2018, 09:21 AM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 807 Likes on 469 Posts

Who knows why other than Porsche can charge whatever they want it seems and we continue to buy them. The only thing I can think of is the production numbers for the Spyder/Cayman R are much lower and it’s possible that the cost to produce these are higher as they don’t have a way to spread the cost out over a larger volume?
Old 06-28-2018, 01:47 PM
Tidybuoy
Instructor

Originally Posted by Marine Blue
Who knows why other than Porsche can charge whatever they want it seems and we continue to buy them. The only thing I can think of is the production numbers for the Spyder/Cayman R are much lower and it’s possible that the cost to produce these are higher as they don’t have a way to spread the cost out over a larger volume?
Thank you! That sounds about right.

I'm just trying to be happy with my purchase, which I was until I saw almost the same thing for much less and sway bars to boot. Hate feeling ripped off!

Vern

ps. did I mention that my Boxster Spyder / Cayman R wheels are coming today. I wonder if I will see them half off in a couple of weeks....

Quick Reply: What is the difference between the Cayman R suspension and X73?