Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone in NYC? Kick tires of 987 FS

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2018, 09:41 PM
nodnarb204
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Anyone in NYC? Kick tires of 987 FS

Hi. I'm in the Southeast, but looking at a 987 in NYC. Anyone want to review a 987 FS in Manhattan? Just get up close, take some pics, video.. See if anything that worries you.
I'd buy you lunch or figure out something $$. I'll double check, but I think seller is in the 44th street area.

DM if you have interest - maybe Monday or Tuesday next week.

Thanks

Brandon
Old 05-24-2018, 12:12 PM
storii
Rennlist Member

Received 109 Likes on 69 Posts

I'm not close enough to NYC to help you in this, but I would like to offer my 2 cents.

If this car has been driven in and around NYC for some time, just kicking tires won't be enough. The road conditions in and around NYC are so bad that you will need to check the bottom of the car for any possible scrapes and/or bent parts. The car needs to be lifted for this and it won't be easy to do in Midtown, Manhattan.
Old 05-24-2018, 12:14 PM
ekam
Drifting

Received 507 Likes on 324 Posts

In general, cars in NYC are in horrible shape. Basically every car has dings and dents. Not a happy place for car enthusiasts.
Old 05-24-2018, 12:21 PM
bminingham
Racer

Received 35 Likes on 26 Posts

I'm actually moving out of NYC tomorrow, but I will still be coming in to work during the week. Happy to check it out next week if it works out. PM me.
Old 05-24-2018, 12:33 PM
nodnarb204
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

@bminingham Thanks.. I'll DM you.

https://www.cargurus.com/Cars/l-Used...ting=205839731

Looking to find build sheet, but the porsche usa build sheet report isn't working for me.

Thanks everyone.
Old 05-24-2018, 01:20 PM
ajw45
Three Wheelin'

Received 319 Likes on 169 Posts

Originally Posted by ekam
In general, cars in NYC are in horrible shape. Basically every car has dings and dents. Not a happy place for car enthusiasts.
.... Or a garage queen that hasn't been driven except on weekend trips to "the country"

I'm in Manhattan, happy to take a look and some pics if it's helpful!
Old 05-24-2018, 01:33 PM
mjdavis
Instructor

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

I work in Times Square, and will be back in the city on Tuesday. Let me know if I can help out.
Old 05-24-2018, 03:04 PM
Jim137a
Burning Brakes

Received 127 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by storii
I'm not close enough to NYC to help you in this, but I would like to offer my 2 cents.

If this car has been driven in and around NYC for some time, just kicking tires won't be enough. The road conditions in and around NYC are so bad that you will need to check the bottom of the car for any possible scrapes and/or bent parts. The car needs to be lifted for this and it won't be easy to do in Midtown, Manhattan.

I’d have to agree that the car would require more than a visual inspection, personally I’d try to arrange for a PPI. The only place that I know of in NYC that might do a PPI is Manhattan Motorcars ( authorized Porsche Dealer ). I have no experience with them but they’re on W 51st St.

https://www.manhattanmotorcars.com/service/

also as a note this car might be for you as you’d be taking it home as it looks like it resided in the Southeast for part of its life.
Old 05-25-2018, 03:08 PM
inspectX
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

@nodnarb204: We have a Gold Meister Porsche tech in the NYC area who could travel out to the car for a full PPI. Please reach out if we can help. Thanks!
Old 05-26-2018, 02:15 AM
Tom R.
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 105 Likes on 78 Posts

Doesn't look like the seller pinches pennies
https://www.nytimes.com/2015/09/06/f...acid-test.html
https://www.vogue.com/article/weddin...ydinli-tuscany
Old 05-26-2018, 09:59 AM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 807 Likes on 469 Posts

Being wealthy doesn’t automatically equate to taking proper care of a car. I think a PPI is a very good idea, especially considering the IMS and bore scoring issues that are more prevalent in the lower mileage 987.1 cars. Having Georgia plates also doesn’t mean it spent its life in GA, it could just be a means or reducing taxes. There’s a large number of Montana plate cars in SoCal, I seriously doubt those people drive back and forth regularly.

Do your due diligence, especially in NYC.
Old 05-28-2018, 08:37 PM
Tom R.
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by Marine Blue
Being wealthy doesn’t automatically equate to taking proper care of a car. I think a PPI is a very good idea, especially considering the IMS and bore scoring issues that are more prevalent in the lower mileage 987.1 cars. Having Georgia plates also doesn’t mean it spent its life in GA, it could just be a means or reducing taxes. There’s a large number of Montana plate cars in SoCal, I seriously doubt those people drive back and forth regularly.

Do your due diligence, especially in NYC.
Nobody said not to get a PPI. The whole point of the OP's post is to get a look at the car before he gets a PPI. But, having lived in NYC, and it's surrounding suburbs for 45 years, our "especially in NYC" comment is ignorant at best. The reality is most people with a car in NYC don't drive it in NYC for errands, or to get to work. NYC parking is expensive, very expensive (like $40 a day). The mass transit system will get you anywhere you want quicker. One look at the bumper, and we know the sellers car is not parked on the street, and if the articles are any indication, he lives in a doorman building with a parking garage where the car stays when he isn't driving out of the city. And with summer tires, I will bet his other ride is a yellow cab or subway. Look at the pictures, google the owner, and then do due diligence.
Old 05-28-2018, 09:14 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 807 Likes on 469 Posts

Originally Posted by Tom R.
Nobody said not to get a PPI. The whole point of the OP's post is to get a look at the car before he gets a PPI. But, having lived in NYC, and it's surrounding suburbs for 45 years, our "especially in NYC" comment is ignorant at best. The reality is most people with a car in NYC don't drive it in NYC for errands, or to get to work. NYC parking is expensive, very expensive (like $40 a day). The mass transit system will get you anywhere you want quicker. One look at the bumper, and we know the sellers car is not parked on the street, and if the articles are any indication, he lives in a doorman building with a parking garage where the car stays when he isn't driving out of the city. And with summer tires, I will bet his other ride is a yellow cab or subway. Look at the pictures, google the owner, and then do due diligence.
Having grown up in NY and seen my fair share of bad examples and sheisters in the greater NYC area I always tread carefully when looking at cars from the area. Same applies to greater Miami, obviously YMMV. No doubt good examples exist and this could be that example, I’m simply reiterating the importance of a PPI from a trusted mechanic as I didn’t catch that the buyer was going to have a PPI done if the car gets past the Rennfax.
Old 05-28-2018, 09:40 PM
Tom R.
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by Marine Blue

Having grown up in NY...
Then you know some of the best deals are Manhattan cars at the end of the month. "You can sell me the car today, and I will have it out of the garage by the last day of the month. Or, you can hope you get a better offer, but that offer has to be what I am offering you plus next months rent for the parking spot."

My family and friends got some sweet deals like that. My mother in law pays almost $300 a month for a spot in Riverdale. A friend in Harlem pays about $250 a month. Manhattan is probably $500.

Quick Reply: Anyone in NYC? Kick tires of 987 FS