Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Can I upgrade the car radio?

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2018, 12:21 AM
David Lee20
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Can I upgrade the car radio?

Hi! I'm looking for a new android car stereo and want to install it in my Cayman. How to do it? Is it difficult to install this by yourself or go to the professioner?
Old 05-17-2018, 07:03 AM
WenigRot
Intermediate

Do you have Bose? If you do, it is a bit more difficult.
Old 05-28-2018, 12:58 AM
bernb6
Instructor

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

David, which gen Cayman do you have. If 987, there are several articles/threads available that show how to get into the dash for the radio as well as a source for an interface. Not sure about 981.
Bern
Old 05-28-2018, 06:33 AM
various cheeses
Racer

Received 53 Likes on 40 Posts

I have a 981, and I replaced my entire stereo. I had the base system though, and went through a professional installer.
Old 06-06-2018, 06:02 PM
YllwG8r
Intermediate

I upgraded to the Pioneer 8200NEX specifically for the Android, I do have the Bose, and totally let the professionals install it...$$$ well spent.
Old 06-21-2018, 05:02 PM
1337driver
Track Day

I can't speak for the Android part of things, however I did replace mine with a Pioneer unit. I had professionals install. I chose a pro installer because I've had a bad past experience with a "cheap shop" installing a new stereo in another vehicle. I paid a bit more, but it was well worth the investment. I did back up camera as well.

Old 06-22-2018, 09:21 AM
Holly
Rennlist Member

Received 19 Likes on 4 Posts
Default wanting to upgrade standard radio in 2009 911S

Originally Posted by various cheeses
I have a 981, and I replaced my entire stereo. I had the base system though, and went through a professional installer.
Dear Mr. Cheeses,
can you tell me what you replaced? the speakers and the head? did you add an amp? I have the base system and I don't know much about stereos except that my hubby's Bose system sounds so much better than mine. I have read a few threads and the main complaint seems to be the lack ***** or buttons in the aftermarket heads. I am in Virginia, if you happen to be in VA please tell me where you had this done?

One local shop here recommended to only swap my head and that I would be happy after that getting better sound than the bose stock. Not sure if i believe them. Thanks in advance!!!
Holly
2009 911S Manual
Old 06-22-2018, 09:26 AM
Holly
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 1337driver
I can't speak for the Android part of things, however I did replace mine with a Pioneer unit. I had professionals install. I chose a pro installer because I've had a bad past experience with a "cheap shop" installing a new stereo in another vehicle. I paid a bit more, but it was well worth the investment. I did back up camera as well.
Dear 1337driver,

same questions for you. what all parts did you upgrade and how is the sound quality after? did you add sensors with the back up camera? if no-sensors, are you happy with only the camera? I currently have a Jeep with camera and sensors and was thinking to also get the sensors, however, the need to drill multiple holes in my bumper has me wondering if sensors are necessary and 2) are there any sensors that don't require holes and how do they perform. and if you are in Virginia, who was the installer? Thanks in advance!!!
Old 06-22-2018, 11:24 AM
1337driver
Track Day

I do not have a parts list unfortunately. The name of the unit however is, "Pioneer AVIC 8000NEX".

As for the backup camera, I needed no sensors and it was more than sufficient for providing me with the confidence of parking the car. I really had no issues parking before, but with this it's a breeze. My opinion, spare yourself the added cost of the sensors.
Old 06-22-2018, 11:51 AM
Holly
Rennlist Member

Default what did you do?

I do not have a parts list unfortunately. The name of the unit however is, "Pioneer AVIC 8000NEX".

As for the backup camera, I needed no sensors and it was more than sufficient for providing me with the confidence of parking the car. I really had no issues parking before, but with this it's a breeze. My opinion, spare yourself the added cost of the sensors.
Did you get new speakers? did you add a sub woofer? did you have OEM bose or the base radio? how do you like the control on the new head? how is the quality of the sound now as compared to before???
good to know you dont think the sensors are necessary. I am on the fence there.
can you tell me the name of the place you had the work done at? I see you are in texas, but I want to get some second opinions too.
Old 06-22-2018, 12:00 PM
1337driver
Track Day

OEM bose, no new speakers or sub. I barely listen to anything but the car when I'm in it (Rinspeed Exhaust and IPD intake). Stereo sound is last priority for my setup. For me it was GPS, Backup Cam, and bluetooth, the rest was just icing. The control on the new head is intuitive and smooth. I'd buy another one in the future if I ever needed another head for a different vehicle.

I can say the stereo quality is good on the higher frequencies, low frequencies seem to be non existent, which for me is not an issue. Sorry I can't really compare stock vs. new, but I will say it did not dimish the quality. If anything, it's just as good as factory or slightly better. Hope this helps.

Last edited by 1337driver; 06-22-2018 at 12:44 PM.
Old 06-22-2018, 12:09 PM
Holly
Rennlist Member

OEM bose, no new speakers or sub. I barely listen to anything but the car when I'm in it (Rinspeed Exhaust and PDI intake). Stereo sound is last priority for my setup. For me it was GPS, Backup Cam, and bluetooth, the rest was just icing. The control on the new head is intuitive and smooth. I'd buy another one in the future if I ever needed another head for a different vehicle.

I can say the stereo quality is good on the higher frequencies, low frequencies seem to be non existent, which for me is not an issue. Sorry I can't really compare stock vs. new, but I will say it did not dimish the quality. If anything, it's just as good as factory or slightly better. Hope this helps.
yes yes thank you for the feedback. I just want to get as much info before I make any changes. I mostly wanted the back up camera until we got hubby the GTS with the bose and then when I listened to that, well, I have radio envy now. so I wanted to get more info on the upgrades before dropping several thousand on something. good to hear you like the controls too. thanks!!!
Old 06-22-2018, 12:10 PM
1337driver
Track Day

of course! Good luck!
Old 06-24-2018, 11:02 PM
various cheeses
Racer

Received 53 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by Holly
Dear Mr. Cheeses,
can you tell me what you replaced? the speakers and the head? did you add an amp? I have the base system and I don't know much about stereos except that my hubby's Bose system sounds so much better than mine. I have read a few threads and the main complaint seems to be the lack ***** or buttons in the aftermarket heads. I am in Virginia, if you happen to be in VA please tell me where you had this done?

One local shop here recommended to only swap my head and that I would be happy after that getting better sound than the bose stock. Not sure if i believe them. Thanks in advance!!!
Holly
2009 911S Manual
I replaced every component of the stereo - head unit, speakers, and amp (with DSP), total cost was a bit over $5k, which included adding a backup camera. Everything is hidden and looks 100% stock (except the head unit obviously). The head unit will probably be the biggest upgrade in terms of quality of life, since you then get bluetooth and USB connections. I went with a 3pc setup in the doors/dash from Illusion Audio - Carbon series tweeters, 4" mids, 8" woofers. I got a small combination amp/DSP stuffed under the passenger seat where the Bose amp usually sits. The DSP made a massive difference, once the time alignment was properly set and the EQ was adjusted. I opted for no subwoofer since space is at a premium in 981s.

What kind of budget did you have in mind?
Old 06-25-2018, 04:31 PM
Holly
Rennlist Member

Talking Looking for a cheaper fix to the stock stereo

Originally Posted by various cheeses
I replaced every component of the stereo - head unit, speakers, and amp (with DSP), total cost was a bit over $5k, which included adding a backup camera. Everything is hidden and looks 100% stock (except the head unit obviously). The head unit will probably be the biggest upgrade in terms of quality of life, since you then get bluetooth and USB connections. I went with a 3pc setup in the doors/dash from Illusion Audio - Carbon series tweeters, 4" mids, 8" woofers. I got a small combination amp/DSP stuffed under the passenger seat where the Bose amp usually sits. The DSP made a massive difference, once the time alignment was properly set and the EQ was adjusted. I opted for no subwoofer since space is at a premium in 981s.

What kind of budget did you have in mind?
Thanks for the reply.
Oh wow! I am not spending 5K on a stereo. OMG.... My car already has bluetooth and can take an audio input from a 3.5 mm jack. so I may be living with the stock unit and speakers for a while. I was quoted around 2K for a new head unit and back up camera. but I am just not really sure what to do at the moment. I am sure your car sounds amazing... Jelly
Holly

Quick Reply: Can I upgrade the car radio?