Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Coolant level Light still flashing - after sensor changed.

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2018, 02:38 PM
gerlewis
Track Day

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Coolant level Light still flashing - after sensor changed.

Hi guys, any input welcome on this one.
I have a 2006 Cayman S manual.

My coolant was a bit low, so I topped it back up (the car took a litre) and the light stayed on.

I took it to a local garage who said the coolant cap may be to blame for the loss, so changed that and also had the coolant level sensor changed as it was considered broken (possibly cooked when the coolant level dropped?)

The light on the dash and the message remained, so my mechanic took the car to OPC who used a Porsche diagnostic to clear the code, then read the code again. Apparently it is throwing no codes, the level sensor is fitted properly and the wiring looks sound.

The garage/Porsche have suggested that the fault could be a faulty instrument cluster, which are mega-money from POC. But, the local mechanic says he could remove it and get it sent away for testing (and possibly repair).

I am having the car back tomorrow while I have a think what to do.

Essentially the car seems fine, but the light won’t go off.
Am I missing something obvious and what would you do in my situation?

Thanks all,
Ger
Old 01-28-2018, 04:19 PM
TMc993
Rennlist Member

Received 540 Likes on 340 Posts

Phrases like "...the coolant cap may be to blame..." and "...had the coolant level sensor changed as it was considered broken..." and "...the fault could be a faulty instrument cluster..." coming from a technician working on my car would concern me greatly because they suggest guessing and parts hanging rather than employing a coherent diagnostic strategy for determining the problem. There are prescribed procedures for testing the cooling system as a whole (as well as each of its many components). If you aren't 100% confident in the work done so far, find a shop that has the capability of doing such testing and have them confirm that the cooling system is functioning properly. Only after that had been done would I authorize someone looking in a different direction for your warning light issue.
Old 01-31-2018, 12:42 PM
jscott82
Rennlist Member

Received 364 Likes on 239 Posts

If I'm not mistaken, low coolant level does not throw a code. So the sensor may be fitted correctly (the system detects the sensor) but its not registering the coolant level.

I just did a ton of work disabling systems and checking codes... The whole time, the car was low on coolant., and while the dash light was on, I don't recall seeing a code for it.

I guess anything is possible, but a faulty dash would be the last place I would check... I would be looking at the sensor and the actual coolant level... also .. Why were you 1L low, something else is going on.?

Quick Reply: Coolant level Light still flashing - after sensor changed.