Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Added Another Spider

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2017, 04:26 PM
w00tPORSCHE
Rennlist Member

Received 132 Likes on 61 Posts

What a beauty. Congratulations.
Old 12-02-2017, 05:13 PM
Maverick787
Nordschleife Master

Received 2,093 Likes on 1,009 Posts

Originally Posted by Suicide Jockey
Big congrats, Mav! We're going to need a Spyder-to-Spyder comparo once you become accustomed to the F-car.

So glad you hung onto the 981. Enjoy both to the max!
Thanks man, honestly I can say the 458 is the best driving car I have driven and easy to drive. The sounds of the engine is intoxicating, and the handling is not as crisp as the RS as expected. The Spyder vs Spider is never a fair comparison too different cars ......the V8 with a 9K rev limit it pulls and pulls. The craftsmanship of the leather is top notch. Fit and finish Ferrari is worth the cash, electronic NAV suck, but that’s not why you drive the car. 0 to 60 not as fast as the RS, but it’s more of a driver car and not track mission ready like the RS. The 458 only had 4000 miles when I picked it up, and I will drive it because I’m not worried about the miles as I got it to enjoy for a long time. I hear the stuff where cars are purchased and not driven pretty foolish to me. But each his own.

I could have sold the Spyder, but I would have to add some cash. The RS sold for above MSRP so I walked out not paying a dime feels weird? Love the Spyder because it’s a manual and you can go hard and be safe. The 458 you have to be mindful because you can do some bad things in this car that would be expensive. I hate to say I don’t miss the RS. I looked at the 488, but sorry I can’t do the turbo thing ......I will have to hold on to the two Spiders. (Y). My M4 will be going soon I hate the freaking turbo, and the wife gets a MB GLE AMG43 good car for her. I will drive my Escalade in bad weather and the Spyder on blue sky days. Love both, and clearly to different cars that I wouldn’t compare because of the price points.
Old 12-02-2017, 10:41 PM
spyderphile
Three Wheelin'

Received 100 Likes on 80 Posts

Congratulations, Maverick. Looks cool. Ferrari is a bucket list car for me. However, I am torn since you can no longer get a new one with NA and MT! If there ever is a car I would compromise these two rules, it would be a Ferrari! After you put some miles, please do a comparison between 981 and 458, not withstanding the price difference. Since you don't track, on the streets how they make you feel is relevant regardless of the price point. At low speeds and shifting through gears to redline, the S2000 is more fun than the Spyder, to me. More specifically, you could compare the following:
- How is the gearing?
- Since 458 Spider is heavier than 981, do you feel the weight through the turns?
- How is the steering?
- At street legal speeds, how do they compare?
- Whatever else you can think of.

I bet 458 sounds better near redline?
Old 12-03-2017, 12:54 AM
Maverick787
Nordschleife Master

good questions, I’ve been driving the F car all day and yes it’s heavier for sure. I think it’s not a fair comparison to compare the cars at all. The F car has a sick V8 with close to 600 HP, and the CG is pretty good as the weight is balanced along with mid-engine. I do find it easy to understeer, and I do fell the same for the Porsche. The F car has power in al most every power band, and I don’t have to push it hard like the RS to have some legal fun ....the damn thing sound awesom going 35 MPH. I actually love the paddle shifters in the F car and would not want a stick ....for me high power cars with sticks are a disaster waiting to happen. The power in the Porsche sub 400 is the right mix of power to drive the car really hard, and not have the car get out of hand.

The car will do side ways with TC on fairly easy if you nail so you have to be careful. Steering is dialed in on the F car as well like the Porsche. I love both
Old 12-03-2017, 11:13 AM
spyderphile
Three Wheelin'

Received 100 Likes on 80 Posts

Cool; thanks. Totally agree; 981 Spyder's power level is just about perfect, for the street. Even then, I find myself in trouble! Too easy to speed; and, the car is asking to be driven hard. Ideally, I would prefer 987 Spyder's power level. Sadly, we have crossed the threshold of what is usable and fun, on the street, in high-spec sports cars!!
Old 12-03-2017, 12:24 PM
jeanrabelais
Rennlist Member

Received 163 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by Maverick787
....for me high power cars with sticks are a disaster waiting to happen.
I love both
Can you talk a bit about this disaster waiting to happen with HPMT? Congrats on the car, we have similar tastes. I want a 488 Spyder. You are saying a 458 is a way to save some money?
Old 12-03-2017, 02:11 PM
Maverick787
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by jeanrabelais
Can you talk a bit about this disaster waiting to happen with HPMT? Congrats on the car, we have similar tastes. I want a 488 Spyder. You are saying a 458 is a way to save some money?
My reference around too much Powe with a manual .......in the hay day of manual cars power was less than 400 HP. Now with 500 to 600 plus the DCT cars will save you from disasater, and a money shift to plow an expensive motor (RS motor 85K). Also try driving a manual with all the nannies disabled now that will test your skill. I prefer a NA motor, and not a fan of the turbos and any car my preference. I don’t care for the sound and the rapid bust of power, again this is my preference. The 488 is wicked fast, but the 458 with close to 600 HP and NA the 488 can’t touch the sound. The 458 is the Fcar last V8 non-turbo. For me I love the lines of the 458, and I wanted one years ago and got lucky perfect spec and deal couldn’t pass and was worth the sacrifice of the RS.
Old 12-03-2017, 06:06 PM
jeanrabelais
Rennlist Member

Received 163 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by Maverick787

My reference around too much Powe with a manual .......in the hay day of manual cars power was less than 400 HP. Now with 500 to 600 plus the DCT cars will save you from disasater, and a money shift to plow an expensive motor (RS motor 85K). Also try driving a manual with all the nannies disabled now that will test your skill. I prefer a NA motor, and not a fan of the turbos and any car my preference. I don’t care for the sound and the rapid bust of power, again this is my preference. The 488 is wicked fast, but the 458 with close to 600 HP and NA the 488 can’t touch the sound. The 458 is the Fcar last V8 non-turbo. For me I love the lines of the 458, and I wanted one years ago and got lucky perfect spec and deal couldn’t pass and was worth the sacrifice of the RS.
Thanks for the reply and congrats again! I liked your garage before, and I still like it now. Great Taste in cars and colors IMHO.
Old 12-03-2017, 08:36 PM
Maverick787
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by jeanrabelais
Thanks for the reply and congrats again! I liked your garage before, and I still like it now. Great Taste in cars and colors IMHO.
Thanks just clean it up, and behind the Spyder I left my RS memorial I’m corky like that with cars I like, I’m happy I kept the Spyder because I feel I can always get an RS, but not the Spyder I want(:

Quick Reply: Added Another Spider