Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bose vs. Burmester sound system?

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2017, 09:42 AM
terbiumactivated
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Must be age related, sound package plus sounds good to me.
Old 11-06-2017, 10:00 AM
lajoiedp
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by terbiumactivated
Must be age related, sound package plus sounds good to me.

I would concur. Plus, in a sports car such as a Cayman/Boxster where the cabin isn't quiet anyway (with the top/windows down or not) paying for a premium sound system just doesn't make sense. IMO.
Old 11-06-2017, 11:53 AM
clutchplate
Three Wheelin'

Received 927 Likes on 432 Posts

Originally Posted by john weires
Listen for yourself if possible with a lossless CD quality source setting the tone controls flat and surround sound off.

Best advice so far on this thread. Your expensive new i-phone degrades audio quality when you feed any of these systems MP3's. When you add EQ from your phone you further degrade quality. When you add surround processing and EQ from the car unit you degrade the signal even more. A CD, or better yet a DVD audio disc played through any of these "flat' will give the best example of what these sound systems are capable of.
Old 11-06-2017, 11:50 PM
jeanrabelais
Rennlist Member

Received 163 Likes on 94 Posts

I have Burm and with the Top down It still sounds good and I agree that it handles higher volumes pretty well. Lot's of money I know, but you are buying a Porsche so...
The following users liked this post:
APEXHNTR (04-22-2020)
Old 11-07-2017, 12:58 AM
skl
Official Wednesday AM Red Bull F1 test driver
Rennlist Member

Received 887 Likes on 537 Posts

Must be in the minority- have never cared what kind of radio is in any of my P cars... one of my 914's doesn't even have a radio- can't hear it anyway!!

Usually have the top down with the Spyder in sport plus mode- who needs a radio????
Old 11-07-2017, 10:09 AM
4PTZERO
Racer

Received 70 Likes on 35 Posts

car is so small, the BOSE system sounds perfectly fine to me. Mid-range/Tweeters could probably be a bit better, but not worth getting Burmester that's for sure.
Old 11-08-2017, 12:31 AM
ForceReconTrojan
Burning Brakes

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

Another option that is VERY popular, get the Bose system and upgrade the tweeters with the Berm's. Across the entire line of Porsche's this is being done...I did it on my Macan GTS and the sound improvement was dramatic for less than 250 dollars.

I worked with Suncoast and they actually sent me the mids and woofers too but after pulling apart the Bose door speakers we found them superior in many ways to the Berms. The tweeters and subwoofer are where berm quality was grossly apparent, the rest was either a wash or Bose was superior.

Also learned that Berm speakers are pretty much the same across the entire Porsche line.
The following users liked this post:
DFW01TT (06-30-2019)
Old 11-08-2017, 03:30 PM
JCtx
Burning Brakes

Received 40 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by ForceReconTrojan
after pulling apart the Bose door speakers we found them superior in many ways to the Berms.
That was a bit surprising, but not shockingly so. I was really underwhelmed by Berm's system in MB cars, so suspected not great components somewhere. Thanks for pointing that out.
Old 11-10-2017, 10:42 PM
jeanrabelais
Rennlist Member

Received 163 Likes on 94 Posts

Another option that is VERY popular, get the Bose system and upgrade the tweeters with the Berm's. Across the entire line of Porsche's this is being done...I did it on my Macan GTS and the sound improvement was dramatic for less than 250 dollars.

I worked with Suncoast and they actually sent me the mids and woofers too but after pulling apart the Bose door speakers we found them superior in many ways to the Berms. The tweeters and subwoofer are where berm quality was grossly apparent, the rest was either a wash or Bose was superior.

Also learned that Berm speakers are pretty much the same across the entire Porsche line.

THIS IS SOME GREAT INFORMATION! Good to know.
Old 11-10-2017, 10:51 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 801 Likes on 465 Posts

So what other aspects of the Berm make it better, do they use high voltage for the headunit and better components for the amp or does changing the speaker essentially give you the same sound?
Old 12-19-2017, 03:27 PM
Diablo Dude
Race Car

Received 2,136 Likes on 1,199 Posts

Originally Posted by Lapis
Really don’t know what planet the other respondents are on...
Sound Package Plus barely acceptable. Ok for talk radio and occasional tunes. Drowned out when windows down. And distorts at higher volumes. No punch. No warmth.
This is by far, the weakest part of my (new to me) GT4.
The Sound Package Plus is junk. Only acceptable for AM talk radio.
Old 12-19-2017, 03:47 PM
bassie81
Racer

Received 62 Likes on 32 Posts

Sound package plus is ok for an upgrade basis. The amp can be used as wel as the wires. All other components are of optimal use when stored in the attic

I have a pioneer app radio installed with a Blam compo set. Works very well! And pretty affordable. Also gives you the option of installing a rear view camera which is a must on these cars.

And... all is 100% reversable

Last edited by bassie81; 12-19-2017 at 04:20 PM.
Old 12-19-2017, 05:45 PM
tq.3z
Pro

Received 56 Likes on 34 Posts

Did you order these through Suncoast? Are you able to share part #'s? I'd love to do this!
Old 12-25-2017, 08:08 AM
Black Bart
Track Day

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I went with the Bose on my Cayman and usually play Spotify Premium which I love. Took me a while to get the Bose sound to my taste. Linear on, Surround off, fader set to "4" at the rear. Now it's good enough for me! FWIW.
Old 12-25-2017, 12:53 PM
SpyderSenseOC
Rennlist Member

Received 1,323 Likes on 791 Posts

This old man (53) thinks the Bose is more than adequate. My kid has been pumping his (c)rap music in my Spyder and the sound from the Bose system is actually pretty good. But I'm no audiophile, though. I cannot see paying the $6K for the upgraded Burmester system unless you are truly a discerning ear. Spend that money somewhere else.

Quick Reply: Bose vs. Burmester sound system?