Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

987.2 Sport Chrono Functionality

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2017, 06:22 PM
dsrufer
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 987.2 Sport Chrono Functionality

I recently rode in the passenger seat of a '15 Cayman S (981) with PDK & Sport Chrono. The driver did not even touch the paddle shifters. Rather, he let Sport Chrono (& Sport Plus) take the RPMs to redline before it up shifted as well as to allow the car to determine when to down-shift (maybe around 4,5000 RMPs). Does this work the same way in a '12 987.2? Not certain I want a PDK but for the track, it was quite impressive (at Watkins Glen no less). Had to completely ignore.

Thanks.
Old 08-08-2017, 06:49 PM
daylorb
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by dsrufer
I recently rode in the passenger seat of a '15 Cayman S (981) with PDK & Sport Chrono. The driver did not even touch the paddle shifters. Rather, he let Sport Chrono (& Sport Plus) take the RPMs to redline before it up shifted as well as to allow the car to determine when to down-shift (maybe around 4,5000 RMPs). Does this work the same way in a '12 987.2? Not certain I want a PDK but for the track, it was quite impressive (at Watkins Glen no less). Had to completely ignore.

Thanks.
That is how it works in my '12 987.2 as well, although I drive it in manual mode almost exclusively. I don't like gears changing on a track unless I say so - for a number of reasons, not the least of which is how it throws the weight of the car around.

I do love the PDK though for the track. Been driving a stick since I started driving, and drove motocross even before that. So I reckon I've been driving with a manual of some sort for almost 40 years including my 987.1. I understand why people love them - after driving a number of paddle shifted cars, I lovvvvvvve driving the PDK. Different but brings its own element, and in my opinion it is faster and safer.
Old 08-08-2017, 10:07 PM
Hyper911
Pro

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

took my friend around a few laps at the track, after he commented on how good the shifting and gear selection was.......i just smiled - it was in sport plus, full auto.

Quick Reply: 987.2 Sport Chrono Functionality