Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

PDK strange issue this morning

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2017, 01:34 AM
JCtx
Burning Brakes

Received 93 Likes on 60 Posts
Default PDK strange issue this morning

Used my 2016 Cayman GTS with 7.1K miles this morning (from a 'cold' start, with ambient temp about 90ºF), and for the first time ever, my PDK started in 2nd. Car felt it had no power to take off, so stopped and looked at the screen, and no warnings. No strange noises either. Then saw the '2' on the screen. Oh; that's why. The only thing I did differently was I left the car idling too long because had to go to the bathroom, then after backing out of the garage, put tranny in N while I selected 'AUX BT' on the PCM and got Spotify started, then proceeded to select D Manual, like always. But none of that is reason to start in 2nd gear. Anyway, tried selecting '1', and no dice. So put tranny in D Auto and still '2' on the screen. Then put the tranny in N, and back to D Manual, and this time was like normal, with a '1'. No issues after that. Finally, when I got home, tried selecting '2' for the hell of it, and just couldn't do it, even in normal mode, so an accidental engagement of 2nd gear by inadvertently hitting the '+' paddle wasn't the culprit. My questions to the masses are:
1. Has this happened to anybody here?
2. What could have caused the tranny to do that?
3. Could it be the beginning of PDK problems to come?
4. Is there a way to engage 2nd while stopped? Just to know if it was possible I accidentally engaged it... although it wouldn't make any sense not being able to go back to '1'. Comments welcome, including 911 folks (same PDK). Thanks gang.
Old 08-08-2017, 11:16 AM
extanker
Banned

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

09 pdk bought new nothing like that
Old 08-08-2017, 12:03 PM
Dr.Bill
Race Car

Received 724 Likes on 396 Posts

Not normal.
I'd stop by the dealer and have them scan it for error codes.
Sometimes a strange glitch like that will vanish if you shut off the car and restart it.
Also - no need to let the car idle or 'warm up'. That's an old, old myth. Start & drive off. Don't go crazy until oil is up to temp.
Old 08-08-2017, 01:00 PM
terbiumactivated
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That's an old, old myth. Start & drive off. Don't go crazy until oil is up to temp. My manual to the 944 from Porsche said exactly this.
Old 08-08-2017, 02:29 PM
JCtx
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Dr.Bill
Also - no need to let the car idle or 'warm up'. That's an old, old myth. Start & drive off. Don't go crazy until oil is up to temp.
Guess both of the last posters didn't read my post thoroughly. I said: 'The only thing I did differently was...', meaning I DO NOT do it normally (went inside to grab my water bottle, but had to go to the bathroom as well). Nor did I ever say I was letting car idle to 'warm it up'. Just mentioned exactly what happened in case it was relevant.

So no 2nd gear starting with PDK? Will check manual again because could swear I saw it somewhere. Maybe I'm wrong. Anyway, no dealer anywhere close, so car will stay as is for now. If it happens again, would disconnect the battery for a few hours and see if that clears the 'gremlin'. The good news is it wasn't even necessary to shut the engine off, which was the next step if D-N-D didn't clear the issue (which it did). Hopefully somebody else has an explanation. Thanks gang.
Old 08-08-2017, 02:33 PM
extanker
Banned

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

sounds like a good plan
Old 08-08-2017, 11:03 PM
okie981
Rennlist Member

Received 615 Likes on 420 Posts

Originally Posted by elp_jc
Guess both of the last posters didn't read my post thoroughly. I said: 'The only thing I did differently was...', meaning I DO NOT do it normally (went inside to grab my water bottle, but had to go to the bathroom as well). Nor did I ever say I was letting car idle to 'warm it up'. Just mentioned exactly what happened in case it was relevant.

So no 2nd gear starting with PDK? Will check manual again because could swear I saw it somewhere. Maybe I'm wrong. Anyway, no dealer anywhere close, so car will stay as is for now. If it happens again, would disconnect the battery for a few hours and see if that clears the 'gremlin'. The good news is it wasn't even necessary to shut the engine off, which was the next step if D-N-D didn't clear the issue (which it did). Hopefully somebody else has an explanation. Thanks gang.
No need to disconnect the battery for a couple of hours. If you have a 12v light bulb connected to two wires, or any similar resistor with two wires that can take the current, just apply the wires to the battery cables (after first removing them from the battery of course) for 20 seconds or so and you're good. This tip came from Tony Callas (callasrennsport.com) during a tech session at the 2016 Porsche Parade last year. I have it in a powerpoint slideshow he gave and provided afterwards by email. Works on all Porsches regardless of model year, assuming the car has computers that need to be "zeroed out". This is a hard reset and last resort to remove electrical demons.
Old 08-09-2017, 12:45 AM
GregWormald
Racer

Received 48 Likes on 38 Posts

Considering the computer power in the car, and how often most computers need a re-start, I wouldn't be surprised at the odd gremlin.

I had to have my electric windows re-set after the dealer momentarily disconnected the battery while searching for a (broken wire) gremlin.

Greg
Old 08-09-2017, 01:37 AM
JCtx
Burning Brakes

Thanks gang. I disconnected the battery when car was new to install/route a pigtail like factory, and needed to reset the windows and seats (for the memory), but that was it. However, didn't have any radio stations stored, so don't know for sure if those would be lost or not. But everything else worked, including memory settings. Had battery out for a couple of days.

Not going to do that until (or if) it happens again. But will try to duplicate the issue with my brother's BGTS tomorrow. I never wait that long with car in N before engaging D. Maybe that had something to do with it. Tried googling how to start PDK in 2nd gear, and absolutely nothing. Only the Panameras popped up; those cars start in 2nd in normal and sport auto modes, but always in 1st in manual and sport+ modes. I'm sure there's a way to start in 2nd, but haven't found it yet. Will report if it happens on my brother's car. Thanks again for all the help.
Old 08-09-2017, 08:36 AM
GregWormald
Racer

Received 48 Likes on 38 Posts

Somewhere--not sure it was even Porsche related --I read about a 2nd gear start for snow.

BTW--when I had to reset the windows the automatic didn't work and the down/up with the door open/close kept opening further and further and not closing well at all.

Greg

Quick Reply: PDK strange issue this morning