Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Switched 12V for Accessory Wiring - Radar & Bluetooth

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2017, 12:28 PM
dsddcd
Rennlist Member

Received 76 Likes on 55 Posts
Default Switched 12V for Accessory Wiring - Radar & Bluetooth

So we just picked up another 981 Boxster and I would like to hardwire my radar & Bluetooth for streaming music. This car has a manual mirror so a mirror tap is out of the questions and I have been scouring the boards but the few threads that have some details don't have photos illustrating the modifications.

What I would like to do is to tap the 12V in the glove box and power the Bluetooth and radar. This would make it easy to run the 3.5MM jack as well as the reduce the distance to get the wire up the A pillar. I must have spent 2 hours yesterday trying to figure out how to drop the glove box but cannot figure it out.

If anyone has any suggestions I would greatly appreciate it!
Old 07-03-2017, 03:17 PM
JCtx
Burning Brakes

Received 40 Likes on 20 Posts

Just a heads-up: you don't power radar detectors from the mirror, but from the ROOF CONSOLE, which ALL 981s have. My brother's Boxster had to be done differently, since the yellow connector to the right is not reachable on the Boxster, so had to use the blue connector to the left. The yellow connector on the right of my Cayman only had 2 wires: black and white, so completely foolproof as which is which. Having said that, my second option would be from the fuse box, only due to the fact 981s do not have airbags on the A pillar; otherwise it wouldn't be an option for me. You could just stuff the wires into the pillar, without having to remove anything, IMO. But I'd definitely go for the roof console option first. Search for the hardwire install so you can see exactly how to drop the roof console with a credit card. Hope this helps.
Old 07-06-2017, 01:16 PM
dsddcd
Rennlist Member

Received 76 Likes on 55 Posts

Thanks for the heads up, I have tested the wiring on the blue connector and it is always on rather than switched. There are (3) Wires one ground, one const 12V and the other appears to be feedback from a sensor.
Old 07-06-2017, 06:27 PM
JCtx
Burning Brakes

Received 40 Likes on 20 Posts

I connected my brother's detector from the blue connector, and it works only when ignition is on. Maybe you don't have the dimming mirror, or some other option standard on GTSs. I remember having more than 3 wires, and having to spend some time with my multimeter to find a switched one. I wouldn't like having it on constant power. If you can't connect it properly, then go to the fusebox, and either use a switched empty location (if any), or buy an 'add-a-fuse' and piggyback it from something not critical and rarely used, like seat heating, or something like that. Good luck.

Quick Reply: Switched 12V for Accessory Wiring - Radar & Bluetooth