Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

718S Brake Pads and Track

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2016, 11:28 PM
MayorAdamWest
Three Wheelin'

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts
Default 718S Brake Pads and Track

Does anyone know what options there are for track pads for the 718S? Also, any concern about running with the factory setup as far as size? Coming from a GT3, I'm a little concerned I'm going to cook them.
Old 11-21-2016, 08:59 AM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Received 191 Likes on 94 Posts

Mike, be aware that those front 4 piston calipers will very likely overheat and boilover at laguna seca. On the 987 and 981 you need to upgrade the front calipers to 6 piston. The other option is to option pccb for the larger calipers and then swap out the rotors for iron. Probably the only time I would recommend pccb. That way you keep it oem. I did that with my old spyder
Old 11-21-2016, 12:18 PM
MayorAdamWest
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by orthojoe
Mike, be aware that those front 4 piston calipers will very likely overheat and boilover at laguna seca. On the 987 and 981 you need to upgrade the front calipers to 6 piston. The other option is to option pccb for the larger calipers and then swap out the rotors for iron. Probably the only time I would recommend pccb. That way you keep it oem. I did that with my old spyder
thanks for the info Joe! I wonder if it wouldn't be cheaper to just put a BBK on the front axel? Or maybe just install the front brakes front the GT4?
Old 11-21-2016, 12:46 PM
MayorAdamWest
Three Wheelin'

It looks like you can buy the GT4 steel brakes for the price of the PCCB option

http://www.suncoastparts.com/product/GT4450REM.html

Im not sure if they'll fit, but I probably only need the fronts. I'm guessing under 4k for the front calipers.
Old 11-21-2016, 02:49 PM
JCtx
Burning Brakes

Received 40 Likes on 20 Posts

A related question: 781 calipers are still 4-pot all around, but did the fronts change? Or all 4? Curious if the change was for the better. Thx.
Old 11-21-2016, 07:36 PM
MayorAdamWest
Three Wheelin'

still 4 pot, but they are 330mm. 299mm in the rear. I'm wondering if they will hold up. The only problem is, finding out could be pretty expensive. No rebuild kits on calipers.
Old 11-21-2016, 11:05 PM
Greg Fishman
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts

Run some cooling ducts and hoses. Cheap and probably just as effective as going to a larger rotor.
Old 11-22-2016, 12:20 AM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Received 191 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by MayorAdamWest
thanks for the info Joe! I wonder if it wouldn't be cheaper to just put a BBK on the front axel? Or maybe just install the front brakes front the GT4?
Supposedly the 911S calipers will bolt right on. The problem with only swapping out the fronts is that the brake bias does get screwed up. Whether or not it will be an issue depends on the driver. It didn't bother Ben, but it did bother another guy I know who is a really good driver.

Originally Posted by Greg Fishman
Run some cooling ducts and hoses. Cheap and probably just as effective as going to a larger rotor.
Won't be enough. Need the larger caliper. Mike is fast enough where it's going to be a problem.
Old 11-22-2016, 02:57 AM
MayorAdamWest
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by orthojoe
Supposedly the 911S calipers will bolt right on. The problem with only swapping out the fronts is that the brake bias does get screwed up. Whether or not it will be an issue depends on the driver. It didn't bother Ben, but it did bother another guy I know who is a really good driver.

Won't be enough. Need the larger caliper. Mike is fast enough where it's going to be a problem.
Thanks Joe! Now you guys are making me think about going back to the M2. Throw on a BBK and Kw Clubsports, half cage, and racing seats. Should be able to tune that engine as well.

Quick Reply: 718S Brake Pads and Track