Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

987.2 Cayman - desirable options and comparison between two models

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2016, 07:07 PM
EUWDIAMOND
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 987.2 Cayman - desirable options and comparison between two models

Hello,

I know that there are plenty of desirable options but only a few models provide each option. I am currently comparing two (not buying, just comparing) and I don't really know which one is more desirable. Price is 39k (European Prices..) and option one has:

- Sport exhaust (heard only good things about it)
- 19" Wheels, 4xCarrera Classic and 4x Carrera S (8wheels)
- Bi-Xenon with turning lights
- regular black paint (this vs metallic black?)
- full leather seats (beautiful ones imo)
- PCM, DVD etc etc..

http://www.autoscout24.ch/de/d/porsc...3d2009%26r%3d5

Option 2 has:

- 4x Turbo II wheels 19"
- Bixenon with turning lights
- PCM etc
- PASM (option one doesn't have this)
- Metallic Black
- Sport chrono package
http://www.autoscout24.ch/de/d/porsc...3d2009%26r%3d5

What do you say?

Option one pros are: Sport exhaust, nice leather seats, lacks PASM
Option two pros are: PASM, Sport chrono package, lacks sport exhaust and nice seats.

Are there any other options I should incluce and probably keep searching further?

Thank you
Old 07-06-2016, 10:08 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 801 Likes on 465 Posts

Realistically your selection should be more biased towards overall condition of the car first. If both cars were equally maintained both cosmetically and mechanically I would personally pick option 1 because it has the pse, leather and doesn't have pasm.
Old 07-07-2016, 02:47 AM
Dr.Bill
Race Car

Received 719 Likes on 394 Posts

The first one has what I consider the most uncomfortable of the seats offered by Porsche. Try them on a long drive before buying. It also looks like it's in better condition (from the limited photos).

The second one has more supportive and for me, more comfortable seats. It also has the Bose system if that matters. PASM is a relatively uncommon option on a Cayman. Some love it, others don't. I'd prefer the X73 sport suspension, but PASM would be my second choice.

You need to decide which options are important to you. For me, the performance related options are more important. Some like more comfort type options.

I agree - the overall condition of the car is the most important.
Old 07-07-2016, 08:09 AM
EUWDIAMOND
Advanced

Thanks guys! There is no hurry so I will check if a few others pop up. How can I tell if the x73 sport suspension is installed?
Old 07-07-2016, 09:57 AM
zedcat
Rennlist Member

Received 356 Likes on 257 Posts

I'm not 100% certain, but I don't recall x73 being an option on 987.2. Base and S models had either the standard suspension or PASM. The Cayman R and Boxster Spyder had unique suspension (springs/shocks/anti-roll bars). The parts can be retrofitted to base and S cars. Also, just to mention, neither of those cars has the leather interior option. (there would be leather and stitching on the dash cowl).
Old 07-11-2016, 12:42 AM
chronarion
Intermediate

Sport exhaust is not a huge deal because this is relatively easy to retrofit, plus there are lots of decent aftermarket options. PASM is harder to fit on by comparison, as is the sport chrono clock (though if you just want sport/sport plus you can get it easily).

If you see one with a leather dashboard I'd go for that-- that's very expensive and hard to retrofit. It also looks great.
Old 07-11-2016, 12:49 AM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 801 Likes on 465 Posts

Originally Posted by zedcat
I'm not 100% certain, but I don't recall x73 being an option on 987.2. Base and S models had either the standard suspension or PASM. The Cayman R and Boxster Spyder had unique suspension (springs/shocks/anti-roll bars). The parts can be retrofitted to base and S cars. Also, just to mention, neither of those cars has the leather interior option. (there would be leather and stitching on the dash cowl).
Yes that's correct, the X73 suspension on the 987 was only available on the Spyder and Cayman R.

Originally Posted by chronarion
Sport exhaust is not a huge deal because this is relatively easy to retrofit, plus there are lots of decent aftermarket options. PASM is harder to fit on by comparison, as is the sport chrono clock (though if you just want sport/sport plus you can get it easily).

If you see one with a leather dashboard I'd go for that-- that's very expensive and hard to retrofit. It also looks great.
The PSE could be a big deal depending on the laws, I've heard certain European countries do not allow any exhaust modifications whatsoever and the cars are checked over very closely and will fail if anything is changed. PSE being stock would at least give some improvement in sound.
Old 07-12-2016, 12:44 PM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4,721 Likes on 2,691 Posts

I'd look for Locking Rear Differential (Option 220)
Old 07-13-2016, 09:08 AM
EUWDIAMOND
Advanced

Thank you guys!
Old 07-13-2016, 09:46 PM
EUWDIAMOND
Advanced

This time round a 981.. would this be a good example or is there anything missing?

http://m.mobile.de/auto-inserat/porsche-cayman-verf%C3%BCgbar-ab-1-7-16-sa-xenon-19zoll-n%C3%BCrnberg/225714970.html#

19" wheels
Sport exhaust
Full leather (I think?)
Sport suspension (X73?)
Old 07-14-2016, 08:17 AM
Patrick3000
Rennlist Member

Received 442 Likes on 244 Posts

Originally Posted by EUWDIAMOND
This time round a 981.. would this be a good example or is there anything missing?

http://m.mobile.de/auto-inserat/pors...25714970.html#

19" wheels
Sport exhaust
Full leather (I think?)
Sport suspension (X73?)
This is how I would want it outfitted, nice!

Quick Reply: 987.2 Cayman - desirable options and comparison between two models