Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Holy crap! Is this normal for an oil change?

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2016, 09:21 PM
jeanrabelais
Rennlist Member

Received 163 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by Suicide Jockey
I was actually told the same thing when I recently took my car into the dealer for a change at 1,000 miles. I asked my Porsche service advisor what his opinion was of "preventative" oil changes way before the manufacturer's recommendation and he said, personally, he wouldn't do it because Porsche uses a special break-in oil that should be left in throughout break-in. It was the first I had ever heard this, although I know of other manufacturers, Honda in particular, doing so:

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums...pics/2820526/1

I still went ahead with my oil change and haven't had a chance yet to do some additional digging into the matter. If true, it calls into question the merits of doing an early change unless the replacement oil used is the special break-in oil.

That's always been my understanding, so that's why I was taken aback by what my service advisor said. Those guys certainly aren't in the business of trying to talk you out of getting service work performed! I'd hate to think he's misinformed since I've been using him since 2005. If he's out to lunch on something as basic as this, it causes me to question what other erroneous service advice I've been given over the past 11 years

Would be curious to know what others have been advised.
We're in the same boat, don't know what to believe. Wouldn't it be in the owners manual? I automatically don't trust dealers unless they are corporate owned. Really bugs me when things aren't clear. Why would someone make this stuff up? Also even if they did add "special" oil this doesn't take into account how the car is driven. I drove 3600 miles in three days and YES it was time for an oil change IMHO. I tried to do it at 1000 miles but was turned away -- two dealerships in the town I was in didn't have any openings and this was with 48 hours notice.
Old 05-27-2016, 09:33 PM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,413 Likes on 2,516 Posts

Originally Posted by jeanrabelais
We're in the same boat, don't know what to believe. Wouldn't it be in the owners manual? I automatically don't trust dealers unless they are corporate owned. Really bugs me when things aren't clear. Why would someone make this stuff up? Also even if they did add "special" oil this doesn't take into account how the car is driven. I drove 3600 miles in three days and YES it was time for an oil change IMHO. I tried to do it at 1000 miles but was turned away -- two dealerships in the town I was in didn't have any openings and this was with 48 hours notice.
Like I said. Your car is filled with Mobil 0W40 from the factory. Not a break in oil. Look at the sticker in your engine bay. I've seen hundreds of UOAs of the factory (it's M1 0W40) fill. I've been in Tech Sessions with Mobil employees.
Old 05-27-2016, 09:35 PM
jeanrabelais
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by LexVan
Like I said. Your car is filled with Mobil 0W40 from the factory. Not a break in oil. Look at the sticker in your engine bay. I've seen hundreds of UOAs of the factory (it's M1 0W40) fill. I've been in Tech Sessions with Mobil employees.
Oh I believe you! It's the conflicting information from the dealerships that I don't know about... Three dealerships I've dealt with in regard to an oil change so far and two different answers on this issue. Which is why I brought it to the forum and I appreciate your quick response. BUT WHY Would someone make this up? What's the end game?

Also, why don't we have any oil stick? Looking at the oil was always a way to gage the condition of the oil for me. Did anyone send their oil in for analysis?

Last edited by jeanrabelais; 05-28-2016 at 01:07 PM.
Old 05-28-2016, 08:08 PM
DBH
Three Wheelin'

Received 472 Likes on 320 Posts

Way back in the days of old, when manufacturing tolerances were not as precise as they are now, it was normal for manufactures to put in a break-in oil. This went with the admonition that it was to be changed to "regular" oil after 1.5 t0 2k miles. These were mineral oils btw.

The service people you spoke with were probably the "grey haired" guys that still remember this.
Old 05-30-2016, 10:48 PM
Joegnsx
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Is Durametric the only tool to reset oil use after a DIY oil change?
Old 05-31-2016, 02:35 AM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 807 Likes on 469 Posts

Originally Posted by Joegnsx
Unfortunately yes.
Old 05-31-2016, 08:49 AM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,413 Likes on 2,516 Posts

Originally Posted by Joegnsx
The only one that's affordable for the DIY owner/enthusiast. The Porsche product is very expensive and more aligned to an Indy shop business model.
Old 05-31-2016, 02:13 PM
JBsZ06
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Unbelievable.......
Old 05-31-2016, 04:32 PM
Kevin Rohrer
Rennlist Member

Received 796 Likes on 524 Posts

My local dealership (Beechwood, owned by Penske) charges that much. After they screwed-up my top repair I started going to North Olmsted Porsche, who is a bit less expensive and seems to know what they are doing.

Last edited by Kevin Rohrer; 06-10-2016 at 03:39 PM.
Old 06-10-2016, 03:26 PM
LJ502
Track Day

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Had an oil and filter change recently at my local independent service shop, German Motors, in Pacific Beach (San Diego, CA) on a 2010 Cayman. It included a check of all fluids, tire pressure, full safety inspection, resting service reminder, and a road test. Total with tax was $200.66. I like these folks.
Old 06-12-2016, 06:45 PM
ir_fuel
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

1K oil change? That's not really necessary, unless you like throwing away money of course.

I just follow whatever is in the instruction manual of the car. Unless you start doing heaps of track days of course, that's a different story.
Old 06-13-2016, 01:30 AM
MrMoose
Burning Brakes

Received 385 Likes on 267 Posts

You guys are making me glad I change my own oil. I just did my first oil change on my newish-to-me 2010 Cayman S and I was happy to find it's one of the easier cars I've done the job on. If you pay attention and use the right tools it's a pretty tough one to screw up.

I've got Durametric but the service reset didn't do anything. The software said if it didn't work then to pull the instrument cluster fuse: that reset it. Unclear to me if you need do do the software reset first or if just pulling the fuse would've done it on its own.

If the latter than the Durametric may not be required for service reset on at least some cars. Anyone know?
Old 06-14-2016, 03:35 PM
Dan87951
Nordschleife Master

Received 33 Likes on 22 Posts

I'm surprised Porsche oil changes are not more. When I had my DB9 the Aston dealer told me it was $1k for a "annual service", which is just an oil change and inspection. I thought he was joking and replied with "really what do you charge?". Apparently the joke was on me. I always change my own oil on my cars and its a good way to get to learn the machine you're driving. As a person who works behind a desk for a living its a welcome change to throw my car up on a lift and get greasy.
Old 06-14-2016, 07:56 PM
Joegnsx
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by MrMoose

I've got Durametric but the service reset didn't do anything. The software said if it didn't work then to pull the instrument cluster fuse: that reset it. Unclear to me if you need do do the software reset first or if just pulling the fuse would've done it on its own.

If the latter than the Durametric may not be required for service reset on at least some cars. Anyone know?
I'd also like to know if this is true for the GT4. We get my wife's new car tomorrow, and I plant to change the oil myself when it's due, and assumed I need to buy a Durametric--would be nice to know if all I need to do is pull a fuse!
Old 07-06-2016, 08:29 PM
jeanrabelais
Rennlist Member

Related Question for the group: I like to use my car to do long cross-country trips. Recently after picking up my car from the Walter's shop where its oil was changed and its tires aligned, I drove to Cottonwood Ca in 19 hours in 24 hours at high Interstate HWY speeds round trip so I could pick up my new puppy, 8 week old Turkish Shepherd, Georgia. Anyways, after such a marathon run, my ears and feet tell me that I need an oil change. Am I crazy for getting an oil change after 2000 miles? Quality vs Quantity of miles?

Quick Reply: Holy crap! Is this normal for an oil change?