Notices
Spyder/Cayman R Discussions about the 987 Spyder/Cayman R (2011-2012)

Spyders in the Wild...

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2018, 07:28 PM
tq.3z
Pro

Received 56 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by Suitcase
Even after using (not just owning) a 959, 997 3.8 RS, 964 RS and 991R I still can't say enough about the '16 Boxster Spyder. I'm excited that this thread continues the excitement. I only hope the next generation is just as good.
I've no experience with any of these cars (All legendary in their own right) but to hold the Spyder in that regard is saying a lot....
Old 01-16-2018, 08:06 PM
Suitcase
Racer

Received 125 Likes on 39 Posts

For me it's not about the money, numbered cars, limited VIP or whatever. It's 's always about the car. It's about driving. And it's about having fun. And this love/hate high school craziness that still surrounds the 911R is ridiculous. Unfortunately, other than a brief drive in the hills around Weissach in a company car, (which at the time impressed me as the best 911 I had ever driven) I don't have enough miles on appropriate roads in my R to have any informed opinions. All that aside, before the 981 Spyder my favorite car was my 964 Speedster. An executive at PAG asked me why? I told him, "It's the most fun." The '16 Boxster Spyder is now the most fun for me.
Old 01-16-2018, 08:37 PM
NelsonF
Pro

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Spyder is definitely more of an event and fun to drive on the street and canyons, I say this coming from a .1 GT3. Obviously, not as purpose built for the track as GT3/4. Maybe its the combination of the overall lightweight effect from the drop top, midengine balance, smaller footprint, unique mechanical engagement and exhaust sound that provide just the right feel that leave those that have experienced it amazed. I do miss that 9k redline though!

Last edited by NelsonF; 01-16-2018 at 08:59 PM.
Old 01-16-2018, 09:02 PM
tq.3z
Pro

Received 56 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by NelsonF
Spyder is definitely more of an event and fun to drive on the street and canyons, I say this coming from a .1 GT3. Obviously, not as purpose built for the track as GT3/4. Maybe its the combination of the overall lightweight effect from the drop top, midengine balance, smaller footprint, unique mechanical engagement and exhaust sound that provide just the right feel that leave those that have experienced it amazed. I do miss that 9k redline though!
With the right mods....you can have that....lol
Old 01-17-2018, 02:02 AM
NelsonF
Pro

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

If rumors come true, we may get that with the next iteration- GT3 derived engine. If not, I think 430hp is fairly easily attained in our cars with bolt-ons and tune but unfortunately without the 9k redline.

Last edited by NelsonF; 01-17-2018 at 02:29 AM.
Old 01-17-2018, 04:05 AM
Suicide Jockey
Rennlist Member

Received 112 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by NelsonF
IMO, part of the fun of the 981 Spyder is that it's undertired and more tossable!
+1
Old 01-17-2018, 06:48 PM
digitalrurouni
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by tq.3z
Is it undertired? I ask myself often. I've no problem leaving gt3 and gt4 in the canyons. And its not a driver skill difference - all of my friends are fellow track drivers with lots of experience. I think the suspension is *that* much better for driving scenic mountain roads. It provides a confidence you don't really get in the other cars, however slight it does add up to a sizable difference.

The best part of the day is always when they inevitably check the tire sizes - the reactions are priceless. "Wait your rear tire is ONLY THIS?" I love it.
Ya know I gotta agree with that statement about the GT3s being left behind in the canyons. I never understood how that was possible but in my Spyder that has been my experience as well.
Old 01-17-2018, 07:02 PM
Maverick787
Nordschleife Master

Received 2,082 Likes on 1,006 Posts

Originally Posted by digitalrurouni
Ya know I gotta agree with that statement about the GT3s being left behind in the canyons. I never understood how that was possible but in my Spyder that has been my experience as well.
guys I would suggest this is fully the driver ............I frequent the GA mountains going towards blueridge, and up there with several Spyder and not close to my RS or old GT3. The extra 100 Hp plus with all the grip is in matched, and guys I beat RS to RS they kill me in my Spyder because of PDK and rear wheel steering with all that power. I call it user error in the GT car if they can’t our corner a Spyder. It’s very hard to slide the GT cars with all that grip .....also you can understeet the Spyder with too much speed. Sorry just don’t buy it I have a lot of seat time own owned both cars.
Old 01-17-2018, 07:10 PM
digitalrurouni
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Maverick787

guys I would suggest this is fully the driver ............I frequent the GA mountains going towards blueridge, and up there with several Spyder and not close to my RS or old GT3. The extra 100 Hp plus with all the grip is in matched, and guys I beat RS to RS they kill me in my Spyder because of PDK and rear wheel steering with all that power. I call it user error in the GT car if they can’t our corner a Spyder. It’s very hard to slide the GT cars with all that grip .....also you can understeet the Spyder with too much speed. Sorry just don’t buy it I have a lot of seat time own owned both cars.
I would have to agree. I went up there with an SLS AMG, a Viper, an F Type R and 2 GT3s. I was quicker than them all. The Spyder does understeer with a lot of speed but I got my suspension aligned a bit differently for my style of driving. Now the understeer still exists but when the tires are cold and when I am just barging in to corners. But at least with the changes I made now I can neutralize it mid corner by gunning it harder and the front just grips and doesn't push. Corner entry understeer is still an issue if I carry in too much speed - probably rectifiable with wider and grippier rubber. Still running stock Pirellis. Also the lower weight of the Spyder probably flatters in the corner. I have routinely seen 1.4 lateral g on the readout in the car. I am sure a GT3 and an RS are way more amazing machines when it comes to outright speed and all that but could be it's more easier to get the most out of the Spyder than in those cars. Self preservation has to kick in at some point on public roads!!!
Old 01-17-2018, 07:27 PM
Maverick787
Nordschleife Master

Received 2,082 Likes on 1,006 Posts

I would have to agree. I went up there with an SLS AMG, a Viper, an F Type R and 2 GT3s. I was quicker than them all. The Spyder does understeer with a lot of speed but I got my suspension aligned a bit differently for my style of driving. Now the understeer still exists but when the tires are cold and when I am just barging in to corners. But at least with the changes I made now I can neutralize it mid corner by gunning it harder and the front just grips and doesn't push. Corner entry understeer is still an issue if I carry in too much speed - probably rectifiable with wider and grippier rubber. Still running stock Pirellis. Also the lower weight of the Spyder probably flatters in the corner. I have routinely seen 1.4 lateral g on the readout in the car. I am sure a GT3 and an RS are way more amazing machines when it comes to outright speed and all that but could be it's more easier to get the most out of the Spyder than in those cars. Self preservation has to kick in at some point on public roads!!!
‘great set up on your Spyder .....RS or GT3 about 250 lbs heavier, but I still would say you’re a good driver which has a lot to do with it. I will Spin my Spyder more than the RS or GT3. The grip is insane with 100 hps, and remember the GT cars are built for taking cars in the corner. The RS will take my 458 or catch it in the corner but in the straigh the 458 moves. Spyder, don’t get me wrong I sold my RS and kept the Spyder because I love to drive it. By no means will it take my old GT cars. You never have to fight understeer in a GT car with the grip which indices more entry and exit speed. All in all great cars.
Old 01-17-2018, 09:39 PM
06C2s
Racer

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Think some of you have been bitten by a Spyder and are hallucinating....lol....thats a WRX you pulled away from in that corner not a GT...

JK I think they are great cars and my get one next round (if 4.0 NA) instead of upgrading my GT4
Old 01-17-2018, 09:44 PM
guab
Pro

Received 60 Likes on 46 Posts

What changes did you make to the Spyder? I haven't pushed mine hard enough to exhibit understeer.
Old 01-18-2018, 07:10 AM
MilesO'Smiles
Track Day

Received 31 Likes on 8 Posts
Default 987 Spyder

Old 01-18-2018, 09:03 AM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 801 Likes on 465 Posts

^^Beautiful pics!
Old 01-18-2018, 11:13 AM
Suicide Jockey
Rennlist Member

Received 112 Likes on 79 Posts

. . . and great user name! Welcome.

Originally Posted by Suicide Jockey
Great grab, BC! . . . .

Driving impressions would be great once you get additional time behind the wheel. Wouldn't mind seeing some interior pics as well when time permits.

Enjoy many miles of smiles and big congrats!

Quick Reply: Spyders in the Wild...