Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

DIY Tiptronic Paddle Shift Conversion

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2016, 04:12 PM
clsund1
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Spawny would you happen to have a PN?
Old 04-16-2016, 04:27 PM
SpawnyWhippet
Instructor

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

Yes, see posts 23 and 24 in this thread
Old 04-27-2016, 06:54 PM
justin-in-athens
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Curious on how the fleebay exhaust turned out?
Old 04-27-2016, 07:16 PM
pfbz
Rennlist Member

Received 2,721 Likes on 1,463 Posts

Originally Posted by justin-in-athens
Curious on how the fleebay exhaust turned out?
I haven't done a write-up on it yet, been too busy. Overall, I'd say it's an excellent $300 exhaust! Is it as good as a $1,500 system from one of the bigger names? Perhaps not, but it's staying on the car which says something at least.

Pro's:
  • Super reasonable pricing.
  • Super fast shipping.
  • Seems like quality material and welds.
  • Sounds quite nice.
  • Tips look fine to me, some complained that they stuck out too far but I wonder if that wasn't a less than perfect installation? They stick out slightly farther than stock, but looks good imho.
  • Feels like a bit of a power bump, but could just be that it 'sounds faster' :-)

Con's:
  • Some minor grinding on mounting tabs needed.
  • Installation takes a bit of care to make sure it all lines up properly.
  • Initially blew out small amounts of fiberglass dust.
  • Slight metallic whistling noise under certain conditions, haven't been able to figure out if it is an internal whistle or perhaps a very small leak. Every sound like that is far more noticeable with the clear HIP cover.
Old 06-24-2016, 03:17 PM
Miike
7th Gear

Hey guys, thanks for the great how-to. I got all the parts, did the conversion, wired everything like the diagram shows. However I can only go from 1st gear to second and back. It will not shift up to 3rd, 4th, or 5th. Any thoughts?
Old 06-24-2016, 03:24 PM
justin-in-athens
Pro

This is odd. Were you going fast enough to go into 3rd? If you were just testing in the neighborhood you might not have reached the appropriate speed? Hard to imagine.
Old 06-24-2016, 03:27 PM
pfbz
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Miike
Hey guys, thanks for the great how-to. I got all the parts, did the conversion, wired everything like the diagram shows. However I can only go from 1st gear to second and back. It will not shift up to 3rd, 4th, or 5th. Any thoughts?
More info...

I assume:
  • You have a tip, it had thumb shifters?
  • The thumb shifters worked fine in all gears before the change?

First, I'd check the mechanical installation... Are the switches operating fully and cleanly? Steering wheel rubber parts aren't interfering with switch movement? the switches are securely mounted and not flexing without moving the actual switch?

Then I'd go back and verify wiring, maybe check that the circuit is closing with a test light or DVM.
Old 06-24-2016, 03:27 PM
Miike
7th Gear

No, I didn't go out for a drive, I just tested it in the driveway. I just reconnected my old wheel and the old shifters will not go past 2nd either. Going to bolt the wheel in good and take it for a proper drive. See if that does the trick.
Old 06-24-2016, 03:29 PM
pfbz
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by justin-in-athens
This is odd. Were you going fast enough to go into 3rd? If you were just testing in the neighborhood you might not have reached the appropriate speed? Hard to imagine.
Of course THIS is a possibility as well! The controller will allow you to select either first or second gear when standing still, but not climb up to the other gears...

Take it for a test drive if you haven't already!
Old 06-24-2016, 03:31 PM
pfbz
Rennlist Member

I see you outsmarted yourself by testing it in the driveway before taking if for a drive!

At least your getting good at removing/installing the steering wheel... Make sure you torque the bolt correctly, and you might even want to add some thread locker if you've already had it off and on several times The bolt comes pre-coated with thread locker, but it diminishes with each use.
Old 06-24-2016, 03:40 PM
Miike
7th Gear

So yes it seems you can't just test it in the driveway...

It is shifting perfectly when up to speed.

I do have threadlock and didn't want to apply it before knowing that the shifting was working.

Now the problem is, I have no horn and the airbag light is on. All connections are good, clicked in and and seated.
Old 06-24-2016, 03:47 PM
pfbz
Rennlist Member

Airbag light usually trips when you connect/disconnect things when the ignition is on or have a loose connector. Unfortunately it will never self-reset. You'll need an OBDC tool to reset the airbag light. Likely tripped by the same loose or unplugged connector causing your horn to not work?

I know you said everything was plugged in correctly, but the horn is a pretty simple device, and if it's not working, something isn't connected properly.

From your previous post, it sounds like you actually have two separate wheels and two separate wiring harnesses. Are you sure you have the correct wiring harness on your second wheel for your options/year?
Old 06-24-2016, 04:09 PM
SpawnyWhippet
Instructor

Is the airbag correctly seated in the wheel? What is the part number of the wiring harness you ordered for the paddle shifter? I have made 3 of these wheels and all of them worked correctly first time using the part numbers I posted previously.
Old 06-24-2016, 04:19 PM
Miike
7th Gear

I reseated the horn connector and its functioning fine now. Air bag light is on, but just may need to be reset by a mechanic. I need to do the handover procedure on the car anyway. I'll see if I can get both cleared up at the same time. Thanks a lot guys.
Old 06-24-2016, 04:23 PM
SpawnyWhippet
Instructor

Did you do the work with the battery connected? I have replaced 3 wheels and always had the battery disconnected. I never got the airbag light on, although I have the tools to clear the light anyway.

Quick Reply: DIY Tiptronic Paddle Shift Conversion