Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Boxster 2.7 v 3.4

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2015, 05:14 PM
Keadog
Rennlist Member

Received 1,019 Likes on 612 Posts
Default Boxster 2.7 v 3.4

I searched and didn't find much recent discussion. I'm thinking of ordering one of the "last" NA Boxsters. I like the Miata but...
My dealer has both base and S allocations still available (and Spyder, surprisingly, I think. I would get that if not for the plastic window, manual top and no vent seats).
I'll probably end up getting a 3.4, but the Boxster Black package is pretty well done for the money, IMO.
Delta is about $9-10K on what I would order (X73, PTV, SC, camera, vent seats, MT and MFSW plus a couple cosmetic options).
Have at it. Curious as to the crowd source choice.
Old 08-21-2015, 09:53 PM
arena-RTR
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Keadog
I searched and didn't find much recent discussion. I'm thinking of ordering one of the "last" NA Boxsters. I like the Miata but...
My dealer has both base and S allocations still available (and Spyder, surprisingly, I think. I would get that if not for the plastic window, manual top and no vent seats).
I'll probably end up getting a 3.4, but the Boxster Black package is pretty well done for the money, IMO.
Delta is about $9-10K on what I would order (X73, PTV, SC, camera, vent seats, MT and MFSW plus a couple cosmetic options).
Have at it. Curious as to the crowd source choice.
The base boxster has more than enough power to get yourself in serious trouble, but for me the choice is the S. That 3.4 is just perfect for the chassis, and if you do decide to seriously get into improving your driving skill, will bring a whole new dimension to the vehicle as you learn to steer with the throttle pedal. Lastly, that $8-$10k delta holds pretty consistently in resale value, so for me the obvious choice is the S.
Old 08-22-2015, 12:02 PM
Keadog
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by arena-RTR

The base boxster has more than enough power to get yourself in serious trouble, but for me the choice is the S. That 3.4 is just perfect for the chassis, and if you do decide to seriously get into improving your driving skill, will bring a whole new dimension to the vehicle as you learn to steer with the throttle pedal. Lastly, that $8-$10k delta holds pretty consistently in resale value, so for me the obvious choice is the S.
I traded a '13S in on my current turbo (which I'm keeping), so I did have one for a year. I went with the S for many of the reasons you mention, but when I drove both on the street before ordering, I didn't notice a huge (real world) difference. I'm driving a 160HP Miata this summer as a commuter and it's a whole bunch of fun, but the seats are not quite right and it's a tad underpowered. I was only considering a Boxster Black car, as the parts bin stuff thrown in worked out well with what I would order. If there are no allocations left for those, I wouldn't consider a regular 2.7 - the options I want run the price up too high.
I'm going to drive both again back to back next week (since it's been almost 3 years), but I'll probably get another S.
Thanks for posting.
Old 08-22-2015, 12:34 PM
clutchplate
Three Wheelin'

Received 926 Likes on 431 Posts

I owned a MT 2013 base which I put 40k miles on and now have a 2015 S with PDK. The extra power is nice but for me the fun factor in the MT base was higher because you needed to wind it out to get to the power. The gear ratios of the MT seemed better suited to mountain roads where the PDK always seems to be between the right gear, especially in 2nd and 3rd. The base had PSE which my S doesn't (miss it), also had 19's vs the S 20's which give you less understeer and a smoother ride. I prefer the look of the 20's but the handling of the 19's although the 20's seem to have more absolute grip. I went with the S because they were selling it for less than comparable base models but after owning both I would be fine with another base. Of the 16 or so Porsches I've owned including plenty of 911's the base 981 was one of my favorites.
Old 08-22-2015, 04:47 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,858 Likes on 1,902 Posts

Originally Posted by clutchplate
I owned a MT 2013 base which I put 40k miles on and now have a 2015 S with PDK. The extra power is nice but for me the fun factor in the MT base was higher because you needed to wind it out to get to the power. The gear ratios of the MT seemed better suited to mountain roads where the PDK always seems to be between the right gear, especially in 2nd and 3rd.
You, um, do know that you can, uh, shift the PDK manually, right?

I probably use manual mode 90% of the time I'm in the car, almost always with the stick rather than the paddles. Makes for a much better driving experience.
Old 08-23-2015, 02:55 PM
clutchplate
Three Wheelin'

Received 926 Likes on 431 Posts

Originally Posted by Archimedes
You, um, do know that you can, uh, shift the PDK manually, right?

I probably use manual mode 90% of the time I'm in the car, almost always with the stick rather than the paddles. Makes for a much better driving experience.
I was referring to the gear ratios of the MT vs PDK which in 2nd is 2.05 vs 2.29 and in 3rd 1.46 vs 1.65. I think we all know you can shift the PDK manually. I prefer the ratios of the MT for spirited driving.
Old 08-24-2015, 03:02 PM
Keadog
Rennlist Member

I just got back from driving both cars back to back. I last did that in late 2012 and I didn't remember much of a difference around the city test loop.
My thoughts now:
1. I drove the turbo to the dealer - it's absurdly fast. And comfortable.
2. Both Boxsters are comfortable and almost huge compared to the Miata. They aren't small cars.
3. The 2.7 seemed a little slow this time around (but fun). The shifter on the car I drove seemed a little sloppy (not at all what I remembered). I kept it under 5K RPM even the the cars were adequately warmed up for me since they were brand new. It was starting to come alive over 4K and much more responsive.
4. The 3.4 is almost a totally different car in that it requires no work to drive if you aren't engaged. 2nd pulled strongly from low RPMs and it felt quite a bit faster to me in any gear. The shifter on this car was a smooth and precise as I remembered from my '13.
Neither car had sport Chrono and I'm beginning to doubt its value on a manual transmission car, since they all have the "Sport" button. Not sure if dynamic transmission mounts are worth $1850.
Old 08-25-2015, 04:43 PM
Sportwagen
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

On a manual transmission, the biggest thing Sport Chrono gets you is the automatic throttle blip during gear changes. It is the reason why I decided to omit Sport Chrono.

I couldn’t imagine myself spending this kind of cash on a car and getting the smaller engine. As arena-RTR stated, the higher resale value on the S will likely make up for the upfront cost of the 3.4, so if you can afford the upfront cost, I’d go for the S.
Old 08-26-2015, 11:54 AM
sfo
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

you can always choose not to use power you have, but you can't choose to use power that you don't have
Old 08-26-2015, 12:44 PM
johnnymiz
AutoX

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I was in a similar situation in 2008. I was at the dealer with my wife looking at a used Cayman S when my wife pointed at an orange Special Edition Boxster (base) and said, 'I like that'. and I was thinking, 'it's just a Boxster', but she liked it, so I bought it.
Seems to be a similar type of package to the Black Edition.
And while I wouldn't say no to another 50hp, I am constantly thinking it's the BEST ride I have ever had. It is plenty fast..in fact, the Black has the same 1/4 mile time as the original street fighter.... a 66 tri-power gto, according to road and track back in the day (which was faster than Pontiac was touting from the factory).
in your test drive you missed prime time...5-7000 rpm is where the magic happens. I know, you didn't want to beat on their car...which is the right thing to do...but still, that's where it's at. it will puttputt around town under 3000rpm like a Honda civic and be happy, but when you let it out it becomes a 160+ mph super car.....fast, seems to pivot around your butt, and the brakes will pop your eyes out. (note, I like fast, powerful cars... my other ride is a 69 Camaro with a warmed up fuel injected 96 LT1, a T56 6 speed, and 4.10 gears... it's an animal)
But, no, I would have no problem buying another base Boxster if the package I wanted didn't come with the bigger motor.
Love the Boxster, don't think I will ever sell it...but I may sell the Camaro
Old 08-26-2015, 01:23 PM
TTLATION
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

[QUOTE=Sportwagen;12537173]On a manual transmission, the biggest thing Sport Chrono gets you is the automatic throttle blip during gear changes. It is the reason why I decided to omit Sport Chrono.

Interesting. I have MT with SC & have track experience with heel /toeing...auto. throttle blip brings a big smile to my face every time I seamlessly downshift. Not to mention the sweet melodious sounfd of the PSE
Old 08-26-2015, 01:55 PM
Sportwagen
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by TTLATION
Interesting. I have MT with SC & have track experience with heel /toeing...auto. throttle blip brings a big smile to my face every time I seamlessly downshift. Not to mention the sweet melodious sounfd of the PSE
It probably just means you are much better at it than I am, so that getting it just perfectly right no longer thrills you...

Quick Reply: Boxster 2.7 v 3.4