Notices
981 Forum Discussions of the 3rd Gen Boxster and 2nd Gen Cayman (2012-2016)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Who has submitted a deposit for the 981 GT4?

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2015, 12:27 PM
STALKER99
Three Wheelin'

Received 224 Likes on 145 Posts

Originally Posted by Phokaioglaukos
Do not feed the trolls.

Allocations by the end of the month? On the list since May for this car. Also on the GT4RS list. #2 for both at a Premier dealer, so maybe ok?
Are they actually going to make an RS version???
Old 02-13-2015, 12:30 PM
Phokaioglaukos
Rennlist Member

Received 52 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by STALKER99
Are they actually going to make an RS version???
No one knows, but the rumour is strong enough that my dealer would take a fully refundable deposit. Not much risk for either of us, and nice to have a stake in the ground. An RS could be the real basis for a GT4 cup car.
Old 02-13-2015, 12:32 PM
PiB993
Rennlist Member

Received 152 Likes on 100 Posts

Anybody know the aprox. dimensions of this GT4? Is it roughly the same as the latest Caymen? I keep wishing sports cars could follow the size, relative practicality and layout of the McLaren F1 (wishful thinking).

Originally Posted by Phokaioglaukos

Allocations by the end of the month? On the list since May for this car. Also on the GT4RS list. #2 for both at a Premier dealer, so maybe ok?
Wait a minute - there is a GT4 RS list? A possibility for an 'RS' version of the GT4!
Old 02-13-2015, 01:06 PM
Crazy Eddie

Rennlist Member

Received 64 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by rohitgarewal
This is all sounds remarkably similar to when the 991 GT3's were announced - everyone wanted one, many people were afraid they wouldn't get one, and fast forward 12 months later, they are sitting showroom floors.

Granted, the cheaper price of the gt4 makes them more accessible, and it's also possible that a low production run will make them scarce, but be patient and there will be plenty of people who put $1000 down but will balk at the $110k price including tax and then drop off, and even more on the second hand market within 12 months.

Same thing happened with the spyders and CR, after 12-24 month there were a lot on the market (at which point I picked mine up), and though the right build is rare they are easily obtainable for less than Msrp.

This is all communale hype generated by Porsche but more so generated by people in these forums - if you want one, you will get one. Just be patient.

*please excuse typos from my iPad :-)
"From your lips to Gods Ears ..."
I live here in the Bay area and it truly does suck if you are trying to get one of these cars .. I have been a Porsche owner and PCA member for 26+ yrs
I'v tracked, auto crossed, and Concours my car. I eat sleep and dream Porsche ... but I have little to no chance of getting this car in this area ...
So, I really do understand the frustration of people wanting to buy this car ...
I think what we have here is pent up desire, for what Porsche finally did, after all these years ... The last car to test (and frankly beat ) the almighty 911 was the 944 TS back in 1988 ... The car was so advanced for it time going against what seemed like a dinosaur.. but that car was virtually unknown at the time and by the time it was known, they stopped selling it in the US and the 911 turbo got a remake.. So with this new GT4 its like ... WOW finally!
And for us in this area, we are competing with newly minted rich folks from Google and Facebook etc ... that may have bought numerous cars over the past few yrs... So, it is, what it is .... Unfortunate
As a business model I can't blame the dealers. They have to make as much money as they can and want to keep their well off car buying customers happy so they keep coming back, but it does suck for those of us who love and are so connected to the car and the automaker ...
Regards
Ed
Old 02-13-2015, 02:03 PM
ZachMartin
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm really amazed how (for lack of a better word right now) "snobby" some of the owners are on this forum are. Realistically the majority of the GT4 buyers have plenty of money to spend on a car... or else they'd be buying Toyota's like the rest of the average population. Anyone ever heard of "Market Adjustment". An item is worth what someone is willing to pay for it. A Rolex tells time just like my cell phone but People pay exorbitant amounts for Rolex watches. A new Z06 will fetch 20k over sticker, a new Z28 will get over sticker. Ford raptor when it first came out.... yup.... over sticker. Mclaren P1, Ferrari LaFerrari...mmmhhhmmm. Supply and demand. Now the first ever GT4 is about to hit dealerships. The kind of car "enthusiasts" have been waiting for years to get a chance to own. Thank you to the people here acknowledging that the Porsche dealership you pick your car up from is a BUSINESS!!! The individuals working there are earning a LIVING distributing these cars and facilitating the process. Imagine having 20 people coming to you ALL wanting to buy the same exact thing. You will more than likely have one, maybe two of the item. You are going to tell me you won't sell it to the highest bidder??? This is business gentleman. Wanna know how to guarantee yourself a GT4? Super simple, be the highest bidder. If you don't wanna do that. Then don't get upset about it. If you are one of those guys that has bought a bunch of cars from a dealership and they are going to sell it MSRP for you, and your first in line, great, you could afford it either way so it isn't really a big deal. For those paying MSRP many of you, if not most.... awesome! I totally agree that a Dealership shouldn't (possibly DOESN'T have to) have to charge over MSRP for a Product. Guess what folks, that is why they are called dealers, and not stores. With deals come negotiating. Many of you don't pay MSRP for your cars, so don't complain when your asked to pay extra for a limited production vehicle. Do you guys turn on the TV and Crucify Barret Jackson Auctions for Auctioning off limited production cars to the highest bidder?? I think not. So many people here against stepping up to the plate to do what they gotta do to get a limited production car and complain about the perceived actions of dealers. These are probably the same people that pit ten different dealers against each other looking to get invoice on a car thinking they one up'd the dealership. Then complain when the dealership does it to them (light bulb!). You wanna save your hard earned money to buy your extravagant cars. Some people want to earn it. Thought I'd write this in good fun and perhaps present the other side of the story that many people forget exists. I am obviously not pointing out anyone specifically. This is stemmed from an overall theme I've seen about GT4, GT3, and GT3Rs vehicles. End rant Have a great day everyone. Be safe and drive FAST!
Old 02-13-2015, 02:50 PM
Mike981S
Racer

Received 142 Likes on 93 Posts

Originally Posted by donkeykong85
This is exactly my problem. It's great that you put down a deposit months ago, but to me that's ludicrous as while the car was rumored, it wasn't actually announced until less than 10 days ago.

In my book, you shouldn't be able to order it until it's been announced/released, and there should be one master list managed by the factory instead of this informal, ad hoc, dealer based nonsense which has an incredible amount of variation and leads to inconsistent buyer experiences.
Not engaging the complaint part again (others pointed to the P9 thread).
My dealer told me that Porsche is asking them to go through their wait lists and enter some preliminary orders etc. I assume they do that to weed out some of the wait list hoggers, the undecided and the duplicates. So while they don't have a master list per se, I am pretty sure that Porsche is making sure they better understand the real demand (they probably learned from experiences).
Old 02-13-2015, 03:21 PM
JSF101
Burning Brakes

Received 169 Likes on 97 Posts

Zach,

some very good points!

1. can you confirm this is a limited production vehicle?

2. What is the production limit?

TIA

Originally Posted by ZachMartin
Many of you don't pay MSRP for your cars, so don't complain when your asked to pay extra for a limited production vehicle.
Old 02-13-2015, 05:19 PM
CAlexio
Race Director

Received 1,965 Likes on 916 Posts

I think the new guy(s) or those who are frustrated ab lack of availability should get much better treatment than what I just read on this thread. Getting an allocation wasn't just ab waiting, it was also dumb luck.

For example, I had the fortune of posting on here ab the car and another member in Pennsylvania turned me on to a dealer who had allocations at MSRP.., in meantime I also contacted dealers in random spots like Cincinnati to hedge my bets. Dealer in Penn ended up deciding that they were only going to sell local so at that point I was SOL.
Amazingly, same mornitn the Cincinnati dealer calls me and says he got my voicemail and I'm the #1 on his list if I want it. Pure luck.. I also didn't just try to shop locally.. We live in the Bay Area, just because it's crazy land here doesn't mean the rest of world is swimming in cash.. I would suggest calling to Alabama, Mississippi, Dakotas... Anywhere where there is a Porsche dealer.. I bet someone can still get a car If they put the work in.
Old 02-13-2015, 05:25 PM
destaccado
Rennlist Member

Received 414 Likes on 258 Posts

Originally Posted by donkeykong85
"Acted accordingly" = put money down on a car that doesn't exist yet
"Those who will get them" = seems like the only guaranteed folks are 918 owners and repeat buyers who jump the line

This is the stuff I would have expected from a prima donna brand like Ferrari. C'est la vie, I guess I'll have to more seriously consider a R8 now.

I think I was only 19 when the first gen Cayman came out...
I bought my first Porsche at 19 working two jobs to pay for it. **** excuse.

People who follow the brand and have supported it repeatedly financially do deserve to order this car first. Don't worry; everyone who truly wants one will eventually get the chance to order if they stay in touch with allocations just like every other 911 & Coxster ever made (save the RS 4.0)...
Old 02-13-2015, 05:27 PM
destaccado
Rennlist Member

Received 414 Likes on 258 Posts

Originally Posted by CAlexio
I think the new guy(s) or those who are frustrated ab lack of availability should get much better treatment than what I just read on this thread. Getting an allocation wasn't just ab waiting, it was also dumb luck.

For example, I had the fortune of posting on here ab the car and another member in Pennsylvania turned me on to a dealer who had allocations at MSRP.., in meantime I also contacted dealers in random spots like Cincinnati to hedge my bets. Dealer in Penn ended up deciding that they were only going to sell local so at that point I was SOL.
Amazingly, same mornitn the Cincinnati dealer calls me and says he got my voicemail and I'm the #1 on his list if I want it. Pure luck.. I also didn't just try to shop locally.. We live in the Bay Area, just because it's crazy land here doesn't mean the rest of world is swimming in cash.. I would suggest calling to Alabama, Mississippi, Dakotas... Anywhere where there is a Porsche dealer.. I bet someone can still get a car If they put the work in.
How is what you just said 'dumb luck'? You paid attention and used the information you gathered from doing so... Now if someone is paying attention they'll realize that there's a lot of Porsche dealers in the middle of nowhere and most don't care who they sell to.
Old 02-13-2015, 06:47 PM
sl951
Pro

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by neoprufrok
I'm one of those.. although I've been registered for awhile. While I love the 911 - I have fallen in love with midengined cars and can't seem to get enough of them. For this reason, I have a McLaren 12C and 2 NSXs. I've NEVER bought a car without driving or seeing one - but this car, I would gladly do so. Problem is - getting an actual allocation.

You don't need to drive this car, you know it will be great...
- Every Cayman GTS or Cayman for that matter have the highest review praises. Even non P-car guy Jeremy Clarkson loves the current 981 GTS (Top Gear - Perfect Road Trip).

-Even the CEO of PAG acknowledge the mid-engine package is superior to the rear layout, 'but that's not their intent'
Old 02-13-2015, 07:12 PM
sl951
Pro

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Crazy Eddie
"From your lips to Gods Ears ..."
I live here in the Bay area and it truly does suck if you are trying to get one of these cars .. I have been a Porsche owner and PCA member for 26+ yrs
I'v tracked, auto crossed, and Concours my car. I eat sleep and dream Porsche ... but I have little to no chance of getting this car in this area ...
So, I really do understand the frustration of people wanting to buy this car ...
I think what we have here is pent up desire, for what Porsche finally did, after all these years ... The last car to test (and frankly beat ) the almighty 911 was the 944 TS back in 1988 ... The car was so advanced for it time going against what seemed like a dinosaur.. but that car was virtually unknown at the time and by the time it was known, they stopped selling it in the US and the 911 turbo got a remake.. So with this new GT4 its like ... WOW finally!
The 944TS was a great car, same goes for the 911 replacement 928 in terms of tech... the problem was the styling, the 944TS looked like the 944 and the 928 look great, but different...

The Cayman (GT4) actually looks like the style of a 911 (991). In most ways, you can call it a mid-engine 911.

If the current GT3 looked 'exactly the same', had the same tech, engine, etc - but with engine/trans swapped to a mid-configuration, do you think there would be more or less demand? I think there would be a massive demand. I want this car! - GT4 with engine swap please!

Porsche prides itself on evolution, so hopefully the GT4 is a baby step toward this.

Porsche is an 'engineer's sportscar.' We love them because 'form follows function' and they usually have the best designs (flat engine, light-weight, transmissions, etc). But man can they be stubborn about certain things...
Old 02-13-2015, 07:27 PM
PiB993
Rennlist Member

Received 152 Likes on 100 Posts

I'd like to see a new thread on, "Who has submitted a deposit on 981 GT4 RS?"

Or maybe, "Who has submitted a deposit on the 991 RSA (stripper)?"

Old 02-13-2015, 07:53 PM
ExMB
Rennlist Member

Received 1,330 Likes on 810 Posts

Originally Posted by destaccado
.. Now if someone is paying attention they'll realize that there's a lot of Porsche dealers in the middle of nowhere and most don't care who they sell to.
I believe that the rant by the "donkey" here and on planet-9 forum is about not having to stray from where he lives, as close as possible, and jumping in line just like he probably does at mickey dees.
Old 02-13-2015, 11:59 PM
Nacelle
Rennlist Member

Received 163 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by ZachMartin
This is business gentleman. Wanna know how to guarantee yourself a GT4? Super simple, be the highest bidder. If you don't wanna do that. Then don't get upset about it.
Well spoken Zach Martin.... This is supply and demand functioning perfectly as a system not just a concept.

Quick Reply: Who has submitted a deposit for the 981 GT4?